• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NieR Re[in]carnation Smartphone Game's English-subitled Promo Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:55 am Reply with quote
Oh no. Is that a conventional turn-based RPG system I see, starting around 0:54?

That may have just killed my interest in this game. I lost interest in Magia Record and Review Starlight Re-Live for having boring combat, and if NieR: Reincarnation is a re-skin of the same thing, I probably won't bother.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:24 am Reply with quote
Sure looks like a Nier mobile game. Not sure how excited I am for this yet.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:35 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Oh no. Is that a conventional turn-based RPG system I see, starting around 0:54?
Well, they surely said it will be a gacha game, and the only way how to do introduce the tons of characters inside and make it monetized... yeah, battle mechanics.

But hey, at least they put in some REAL dedication into work with making a full 3D maze exploration, full 2D sequences with animated movement inside, and the battle system. 95% of the Japanese f2p mobile gacha games don't even have two core gameplay mechanics with that amount of complexity to create outside of some minigames, let alone that level of game direction!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:46 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Well, they surely said it will be a gacha game, and the only way how to do introduce the tons of characters inside and make it monetized... yeah, battle mechanics.

I'm not against gacha on principle, TBH. I played BanG Dream! Girls Band Party for a year, and that has a solid rhythm-action game with a deep repertoire of music. Before that, I was playing the JP-only Muv-Luv Alternative: Strike Frontier -- which is not considered a good game by any stretch -- and still liked the overhead mech combat enough to stick with it until the game shut down.

Somehow, though, these turn-based RPGs in gacha games don't strike me as having the depth of, say, a classic Final Fantasy, where there's some level of thought in your resource management and eqiupment/skill development, and some excitement to the battle itself. With Revue Starlight Re-Live, you're all but encouraged to set the game to auto-battle and run it at double speed, because there just isn't anything to do when your turn comes up other than to just tap "attack", or maybe pull out a special if it's ready. If the game is best experienced by not playing it at all, that's a hint that it's not actually fun.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:23 am Reply with quote
Since when has the Nier franchise been known for having deep and intricate combat? Both console games have a basic combat system so why are you expecting anything more from a mobile game.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Square Enix mobile game - it'll shut down in a year Laughing
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
Another NieR game with a waifu in it. Need more info on her.

Quote:
NieR Replicant featured a different character design for the protagonist, and minor differences in the plot.

Different/Minor differences? More like the original as envisioned by Yoko Taro who wanted a brother-sister story until the executives told him to change it for Westerners so the game can sell in the West. If you look at official art, its always Brother Nier being shown.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

That may have just killed my interest in this game. I lost interest in Magia Record and Review Starlight Re-Live for having boring combat, and if NieR: Reincarnation is a re-skin of the same thing, I probably won't bother.

Could be a Kingdom Hearts: uX situation where the music, graphics, and presentation are beautiful but the core gameplay is cheap gacha. Hopefully not, though.

As long as it's better than what I hear about SINoALICE...
Reinheit Hezen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:11 am Reply with quote
[quote="invalidname"][quote="WANNFH"]
invalidname wrote:
I was playing the JP-only Muv-Luv Alternative: Strike Frontier

Wasn't that game an eroge-type rpg? i read it even had HCGs and voice
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1