• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: EX-ARM

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serinox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
I feel so bad for the team behind the manga. Sure, Ex-Arm is not a masterpiece as a manga, but at least it has good artwork and a solid mix of ecchi stuff & sci-fi action - and it sure as hell doesn't deserve an anime adaptation like this.
BelKalRa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
I think this man is trying to trick us into joining him in his suffering and I appreciate the attempt.
Dalek-baka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:05 am Reply with quote
Every single word in this review is true.

It's a show that breaks traditions of old cinema and pushes us towards new: who needs action scenes to be fluid, when you can do them in 5 fps; or why use one gimmick transition when you can do 10.
Not to mention masterful close ups, because if you have great designs... show them as much as possible.

It's not anime, it's dawn of new era.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
BelKalRa wrote:
I think this man is trying to trick us into joining him in his suffering and I appreciate the attempt.
Considering it was the vote decision — it's not even his fault!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not like the wonderful readers of ANN would purposefully vote for a show they thought was universally horrendous just to make somebody suffer through it for comedy, right?

Just be grateful they didn't force you to watch Redo of Healer.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not like the wonderful readers of ANN would purposefully vote for a show they thought was universally horrendous just to make somebody suffer through it for comedy, right? Only sad, weird losers would do that. No, the only explanation is that some of you indeed sense the grand potential lying beneath this show's surface, and understood that I was the only mind sharp and observant enough to catch on
Yes, you are absolutely correct sir! I for one! For instance Ep2, having slightly adulterated human bodies explode by remote control using tattoo ink (??) in a terrorist plot definitely KILLED Taboo Tattoo as a work of fiction...And the MC french kissing Minami (only God-tier writers would think of having that as a character name in Japanese meaning "much loved" BTW) though Alma's android body to unlock his cyber power was so far beyond Ghost in the Shell, I have no words...
omelas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote
Thank you, thank you for this review. I will read them all and not touch this anime even with industrial gloves.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
Aw, if I wanted anyone to suffer watching this, it would have been Beckett. Too bad.
heavyweather

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
... And we've broken Nicholas.

It's disappointing that anything turned out this terribly.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:01 am Reply with quote
I maintain two things -

1. EX-Arm will go down as a favorite among differs, reviewers, and other Youtube folk on the same level as the Garzey’s Wings and the Chargeman Ken’s. Legendarily awful.

2. This will be what has Sony look at the Crunchyroll Originals line and put said line out to pasture.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
There are a lot of shows I'd like to see weekly reviewed so it is a shame that one of ANNs limited review slots got taken up by this trash.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:13 am Reply with quote
After watching the OP twice now, I'm seriously starting to think this was an intentionally bad project (like sharknado). It's impossible that no one look at the first model presented, the main character, and not realize he has this static dumb surprised look on his face, which wouldn't even take 5 min to change!
KyokoBestMeguca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
The thing that bothers me about this show more than anything is the expressions. Their eyes and mouths move, but for some reason their eyebrows are forever frozen in place. Once you see it, you can't unsee it every time a character talks.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes. This is one review series I'll definitely follow for the next few weeks. This first review was really nice, as was the preview, so I'm eagerly awaiting for just how much entertainment the writer can wriggle from this oh so beautiful mess~
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
After watching these first 2 episodes, I cannot help but refer to this as "Dull Surprise!: The Anime".

Special Ep.2 shout outs to that pedestrian in the background who's limited walk "animation" could not hide the fact that he was being floated across the pavement and the moment during the church "fight" where one of the main characters was clearly flailing as if trying to throw off a cultist despite the "animators" having forgotten to actually place any on him.

I've never really been one for watching train wrecks in progress, but I find myself unable to look away from this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12