• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese Gov't Denies Report it is No Longer Considering Tokyo Olympics This Year, Aiming for 2032 G

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:46 am Reply with quote
I reckon there is a 70% chance the Olympics games will not go ahead this year.
Dextres

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
Objectively,

That a sound argument to make. Probably won't have much interest in the games(Olympic Games at all in general) from this point in time.
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote
Ridiculous.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:19 am Reply with quote
I think the long-term effect for the Olympics is that a lot of cities and countries will decide it is not worth it anymore. The Olympics already tended to lose money and general interest has dropped over the years, so it's harder and harder to justify spending so much public money on it. Throw in an example of somebody getting stuck in a position where they've built the facilities but are probably going to be out the tourist money, and I wouldn't blame anyone for deciding not to bother.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
Yes, I've been hearing a lot of rumor about the Tokyo Olympics may get cancelled. There's a lot of disputed information if this is true or not. So far, given there are many COVID-19 variants out there, I'm afraid the chances of the Tokyo Olympic getting cancelled is very high. It would be the first time a Olympic game get cancelled because of the pandemic. In the past, the Olympic games was cancelled because of World War 1 and 2 but never a pandemic, it would be the first (and hopefully the last).

This would be very unfortunate if the Tokyo Olympic become the first Olympic to be cancelled because of the pandemic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I know I've seen proposals that the Olympics just move to a single permanent location (probably Greece).

mdo7 wrote:
It would be the first time a Olympic game get cancelled because of the pandemic.

Huh, yeah, the Winter Olympics didn't start until 1924, and didn't move to 2-mod-4 years until... wow, 1994? So 1918 wouldn't have affected the Games at all.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Would be cool if everyone participating in the Olympics took the COVID-19 vaccine so there can be any Olympics.
RetroWinnipeg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Sure Japan might say they’re ready, but I would think a lot of NOCs and/or athletes may not be in a position to be ready for the Games due to all kinds of COVID lockdowns or cancellations.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote
It depends a lot on how fast the world can roll out the vaccines. I try to be optimistic but the vaccination is going slower than I would have expected.

It takes 15 days for the body to produce antibodies after being vaccinated, so ideally most countries participating should finish vaccinating the bulk of its population before mid july. Japan in particular doesn't need to do as much vaccination as the rest of the world since the virus has been mostly contained there but they still have to do a good deal of vaccination before july.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Japan in particular doesn't need to do as much vaccination as the rest of the world since the virus has been mostly contained

Uh, you are aware Japan's healthcare system is currently completely collapsed and overwhelmed due to the latest surge in cases and half the country has gone back into emergency state to try to contain it?
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Valjean Lafitte wrote:
Ridiculous.

As in its ridiculous for them to cancel or that it’s ridiculous to believe the denial?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I know I've seen proposals that the Olympics just move to a single permanent location (probably Greece).

mdo7 wrote:
It would be the first time a Olympic game get cancelled because of the pandemic.

Huh, yeah, the Winter Olympics didn't start until 1924, and didn't move to 2-mod-4 years until... wow, 1994? So 1918 wouldn't have affected the Games at all.

Several Olympics were cancelled back during World War II, so it would be the first time since then. Ironically, Tokyo would serve as host city both times.
F302 Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
why not have the Olympics postponed to September like they did with Sydney back in 2000
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
F302 Pilot wrote:
why not have the Olympics postponed to September like they did with Sydney back in 2000

Looking it up the Sydney Olympics were delayed to adjust to Southern Hemisphere wealthier which is relatively stable over long periods of time. The issue here is there’s far less certainty that COVID levels will be low enough by September to make a short delay worth the risk.
idkAlan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:33 pm Reply with quote
If there would be a 2021 Tokyo Olympics, it will most likely be just the athletes by themselves, with little to no spectators.
If Japan decides to do the opening/closing ceremonies they would have to minimize group performances or do mass testing if they choose group performances.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2