• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Dempagumi.inc Idol Moga Mogami Says She Won't Read Private Messages on Social Media

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Man, it stinks that she had to deal with that in the first place. It's so awful how people view idols as perfect immaterial beings who in their view should never do wrong, never seeing them as human beings with personalities, flaws, weaknesses, and boundaries, and throw fits if they, y'know, decide to do things normal people do! It's no wonder the idol industry is so toxic.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Reading any social media is like that. Youtube comments were once universally decried for this. Even if the comments are totally positive they can be damaging to get all that positive reinforcement. It isn't just the negative comments that can hurt a person. Best to keep social media in all forms at a safe distance.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
It's not like there's an obligation to read every single message since that can be a genuinely time-consuming process depending on how much messages there are. Still though is this really such a big deal that needs a statement, people are trolls especially on social media, you just gotta focus on the positive ones and
Quote:
many "traumatizing messages" after she announced that she was pregnant last year.

oh...
ah...
i see...

*realizes she's an idol*

Yeah, that industry is F***** up. Makes me think that there should be a job for someone to screen these messages(with the user's consent) and delete/report the freaks. Doubt it'll change the incoming messages but at least they won't make their way person.

Anytime I hear about the idol industry(admittedly if its something that makes news it's usually bad) its almost always about something terrifying, and it's crazy that more people don't try to change things.

Hopefully Moga can continue on with her life and not be worried about this small(i hope it is) but vocal minority of losers
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Makes me think that there should be a job for someone to screen these messages(with the user's consent) and delete/report the freaks. Doubt it'll change the incoming messages but at least they won't make their way person.

There are some agencies where their manager will check their social media for their talents.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:10 am Reply with quote
Social media is a fickle beast it can be both a positive and tedious experience finding balance for such things isn't for everyone.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
Nothing new, celebrities have always had problems with some "fans" even before internet was invented, no wonder now is a lot worse...anyway, you can at least block the worst offenders.
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:45 am Reply with quote
ugh the idol fandom never fails to disgust.

I don't blame her at all. Honestly, social media was a mistake.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote
ChimeyChime wrote:
ugh the idol fandom never fails to disgust.

I don't blame her at all. Honestly, social media was a mistake.

There have been stalkers and weird people around celebrities since Forever, well before social media. For example there was a crazy "fan" that sent a bomb to Bjork in the '90s... thankfully the bomb was faulty, and It was discovered before It could reach her...And what about John Lennon? We all know that Mark David Chapman had a long list of artists he wanted to kill...
Sadly it's an old problem, but at least sometimes people that send death threats via DM end in legal troubles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1