• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Capturing the Merch: Interview with the Cardcaptor Sakura Memorabilia Guinness Record Holder

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tojikomori

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
This makes me want a Shelf Life reboot dedicated to finding the wackiest anime memorabilia. Desiccated Sakura Pudding is a good opening bid.

Also: yay, Angelic Layer shout-out! It almost feels ironic how little merchandise there is for that series. A cartoon about toys, of which there are none. And my, how prescient it was about e-sports and Super Dollfie.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I have a good number of those CCS movie cards, maybe three or four dozen or so. Didn't even really ever bother checking to see if they'd be worth anything. Very cool interview. Rubber stamp keychains have definitely not died down. They're still likely the top produced merch for anime nowadays.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:09 am Reply with quote
I love all the quirky merchandise longer running series aimed at kids have. Sailor Moon curry was actually pretty good but the commercials used to sell the stuff were even better.

I collect a lot of Cardcaptor Sakura stuff too but it's primarily the artwork that was used to make the series. Does the record holder own any CCS cels, douga/genga, backgrounds, hankens, etc.? I didn't see any in the pics included in the article.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
His collection is amazing.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
As long time CCS fan I am very happy that he was able to get the world record.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:03 am Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
As long time CCS fan I am very happy that he was able to get the world record.

Me too, congrats indeed!

The black bookshelves bring back memories of my college days. My roommate and I had very similar looking shelves, all lined up with our Laserdiscs, books, and (later on) DVDs. I never gathered much CCS merch, though I do have the whole TV series and the first two movies on LD. That said I do have one thing that's actually very special: the original pressing of the volume 1 LD. They had a serious production defect--missing audio--so they were recalled and reissued. I managed to get my hands on both an original as well as the reissued one with the correct audio. I've watched the latter many times but the original is still sealed in the factory plastic.

Also nice to see a mention of Angelic Layer. That's another great show which I think was, and still is, underappreciated. I remember that being one of those shows which was great to show to people who weren't all that interested in anime, it's easy to understand and everybody loves it. I also found it great for learning Japanese as it's dialogue is mostly quite simple and it avoids the pitfalls of a lot of anime--strange vocabulary having to do with magic, monsters, mecha, military, etc.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I love all the quirky merchandise longer running series aimed at kids have. Sailor Moon curry was actually pretty good but the commercials used to sell the stuff were even better.

I collect a lot of Cardcaptor Sakura stuff too but it's primarily the artwork that was used to make the series. Does the record holder own any CCS cels, douga/genga, backgrounds, hankens, etc.? I didn't see any in the pics included in the article.

It's kind of amazing how much CCS merchandise there is out there. I'm a pretty small time collector of CCS stuff, but I don't see hardly anything I own in this collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KittyEponine
ANN Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Huh, I have a good number of those CCS movie cards, maybe three or four dozen or so. Didn't even really ever bother checking to see if they'd be worth anything. Very cool interview. Rubber stamp keychains have definitely not died down. They're still likely the top produced merch for anime nowadays.

I love rubber keychains! They are very easy to bring along and attach to your bag. I prefer them over acrylics.

I got back into CCS after having a CCS Clear Card marathon last year. I just preorder the CLAMP 30th anniversary nendo and more related items on the way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1