• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: In the Land of Leadale VR Isekai Story Gets Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Read the first novel of this one (and I think the second just came out). If you can imagine Overlord where the MC is a female elf and she and her underlings (i.e., adopted children) are good-aligned rather than evil-aligned then that's pretty much what this is. It does have some interesting mystery elements in terms of how the timeline in the setting advanced 200 years, but at least early on it's mostly a standard power fantasy.

I'd still probably watch it, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:20 am Reply with quote
Wait, seriously? Kadokawa published a 2010 webnovel in 2019? I mean, checking on Amazon.co.jp, that does seem to be accurate, but if so... wow. Before this, on my Narou anime spreadsheet, the record for longest WN-to-LN period was Mahouka, at 1001 days. This is almost three times that.

Is this a thing publishers are doing now? Cutting publishing deals for webnovels almost a decade old? (And what does it say that Narou isekai from 2011 is almost indistinguishable from Narou isekai now...)

If so, hell, maybe someone will finally sign Kenkyo, Kenjitsu. (No doubt if that ever got animated, people would dismiss it as a Hamefura knockoff.)
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:49 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Read the first novel of this one (and I think the second just came out). If you can imagine Overlord where the MC is a female elf and she and her underlings (i.e., adopted children) are good-aligned rather than evil-aligned then that's pretty much what this is. It does have some interesting mystery elements in terms of how the timeline in the setting advanced 200 years, but at least early on it's mostly a standard power fantasy.

Well, this makes me wanna give it a try then (Anime ver), that said... I HOPE its better than what Overlord became with its 3rd season as I came to hate it when spoiler[he betrayed his own ideals] and there was prolly a bit more but can't recall, that spoiler though was the main reason i ended up hating Overlord despite seeing all of its anime
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Wait....power fantasy? From the synopsis I am getting the vibes of some slice-of-life plus some mystery elements, but how does power fantasy comes to play in a story like this? I am curious though, and depicting adopted children as “underling” also makes me wonder what kind of context am I missing from a seemingly heartwarming type of story
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:18 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the book, it’s quite goofy, reminded me of the LN “a wild last boss appears” which also had a female lead getting pulled back into a video game she played.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
@Engineering Nerd

It is mostly slice of life. The MC exploring what has changed in the last 200 years with the NPCs becoming real people. The mystery is how things got like this.

She is overpowered though. When she died she was at the top of the game much like the main character in How Not to Summon a Demon Lord. In this case, however, there is not so much action and the extra power is mostly used for reasons other than conflict. It is more a journey than a war..
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:37 am Reply with quote
^
Yeah, Alan45 explained it better than I did.

Basically, it's a case where the MC was one of the top, maxed-out players in the game (much like Momonga in Overlord) and is now in a post-game setting where the power levels, comparatively speaking, have dropped drastically. That makes her, by a mile, the most powerful being in the world even though she doesn't look it. She's much more about figuring out what happened (and getting back in touch with her "kids," who are now all VIPs) than getting involved in fights or conquering the world, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Wait, seriously? Kadokawa published a 2010 webnovel in 2019? I mean, checking on Amazon.co.jp, that does seem to be accurate, but if so... wow. Before this, on my Narou anime spreadsheet, the record for longest WN-to-LN period was Mahouka, at 1001 days. This is almost three times that.

Is this a thing publishers are doing now? Cutting publishing deals for webnovels almost a decade old? (And what does it say that Narou isekai from 2011 is almost indistinguishable from Narou isekai now...)

If so, hell, maybe someone will finally sign Kenkyo, Kenjitsu. (No doubt if that ever got animated, people would dismiss it as a Hamefura knockoff.)

Could be stranger, imo. I recall the LN version of Unnamed Memory came out in 2019, abput nearly 6 years after the WN's main story ended.

Iirc Kenkyo does not have an LN version that can be promoted by publishers. It only exists in WN format; and some suspect the author never had any commercial plans for the story beyond personal writing enjoyment. Plus the series is on permanent hiatus and author is no longer active.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Could be stranger, imo. I recall the LN version of Unnamed Memory came out in 2019, abput nearly 6 years after the WN's main story ended.

That's a lot more than Mahouka, but still a lot less than this!

zztop wrote:
Iirc Kenkyo does not have an LN version that can be promoted by publishers.

I know, but what I'm saying is, if Leadale could get a light novel version after all this time, who knows what else might?

That said, yeah, KK did slow to an unfinished stop years ago, and with how popular it was in its heyday, it definitely must've been on the publishers' radar. I don't think any other Narou story with anything near its popularity hasn't gotten a pro release. So the author clearly had some reason not to, and there's no reason to expect that to change.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to confirm, the second volume is out. I got mine from the comic shop Wednesday and have already finished it. Just as enjoyable as the first. Still a mix of light action and mostly slice of life. My only complaint is that it will now be a few months for the next volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1