• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kenjiro Tsuda, Yui Ishikawa Win 15th Annual Seiyū Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:38 am Reply with quote
Wish the article listed some 2020 roles next to the winners since its a bit difficult to remember what each voice actor has done this year (and ANN's layout has roles listed alphabetically).
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote
It seems like Kenjiro Tsuda is really big these days...
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

He is everywhere. Probably his oldest but most common role involves Seto Kaiba. He also voiced Manji in the second Blade of the Immortal anime and was the lead in the Id – Invaded anime. I think he is also an important villain in Boruto.

Last edited by tintor2 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Wish the article listed some 2020 roles next to the winners since its a bit difficult to remember what each voice actor has done this year (and ANN's layout has roles listed alphabetically).

You can change it to list by year. Though it's by how old the anime is and not by when the actor/actress was cast.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see Kenjiro Tsuda and Yui Ishikawa winning awards!
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

Every year it seems there's one male seiyuu that's in everything.

As for Tsuda, him winning is kind of hilarious to me, because, well. I generally don't mind him but recently he's been doing that thing that soured me on Miyano Mamoru and Sugita Tomokazu - he's leaned into his own typecasting and keeps using the exact same voice and the exact same mannerisms in every role I hear him in, just doing TsudaKen instead of acting. And when even the roles are similar it gets very old very fast. Then again, these awards are based on popularity and agency push anyway.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:26 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Psajdak wrote:

Every year it seems there's one male seiyuu that's in everything.

As for Tsuda, him winning is kind of hilarious to me, because, well. I generally don't mind him but recently he's been doing that thing that soured me on Miyano Mamoru and Sugita Tomokazu - he's leaned into his own typecasting and keeps using the exact same voice and the exact same mannerisms in every role I hear him in, just doing TsudaKen instead of acting. And when even the roles are similar it gets very old very fast. Then again, these awards are based on popularity and agency push anyway.

I think that's less on Tsuda and more on him being cast for roles where he's expected to perform that way, but I feel like he always brings his best to a role.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:44 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Psajdak wrote:

He is everywhere. Probably his oldest but most common role involves Seto Kaiba. He also voiced Manji in the second Blade of the Immortal anime and was the lead in the Id – Invaded anime. I think he is also an important villain in Boruto.

Ditto Natsuki Hanae, he is also everywhere because of popularity I think.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:57 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I think that's less on Tsuda and more on him being cast for roles where he's expected to perform that way, but I feel like he always brings his best to a role.

I don't know. I'm sure there are roles where Tsuda is cast to essentially do Tsuda Kenjirou instead of acting (as is very often the case with Miyano Mamoru, Sugita Tomokazu, etc. which is why I was so surprised to hear Sugita Tomokazu actually act in his role in Back Arrow), which is IMO quite annoying. But also, it's usually easy to tell when someone is just phoning it in, leaning back on well-worn and usually well-received mannerisms - and Tsuda has been doing that increasingly these past years. I guess it's not a huge motivation that the roles themselves are usually quite boring, but it's still quite grating to hear Tsuda bringing the same performance to similar characters in three consecutive shows (check out Sirius the Jaeger, Appare-Ranman and Magatsu Wahrheit - all extremely forgettable, sure, but still).

(It makes me appreciate people like Sakurai Takahiro so much more. I've heard him in a lot of roles that he could've basically sleepwalked through, and yet he doesn't.)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

I don't know. I'm sure there are roles where Tsuda is cast to essentially do Tsuda Kenjirou instead of acting (as is very often the case with Miyano Mamoru, Sugita Tomokazu, etc. which is why I was so surprised to hear Sugita Tomokazu actually act in his role in Back Arrow), which is IMO quite annoying. But also, it's usually easy to tell when someone is just phoning it in, leaning back on well-worn and usually well-received mannerisms - and Tsuda has been doing that increasingly these past years. I guess it's not a huge motivation that the roles themselves are usually quite boring, but it's still quite grating to hear Tsuda bringing the same performance to similar characters in three consecutive shows (check out Sirius the Jaeger, Appare-Ranman and Magatsu Wahrheit - all extremely forgettable, sure, but still).

(It makes me appreciate people like Sakurai Takahiro so much more. I've heard him in a lot of roles that he could've basically sleepwalked through, and yet he doesn't.)

I think it's less casting him because he's Kenjirou Tsuda and more because they feel he's the most qualified to portray the character with his vocal style. I don't think he's acting any less because of that, it's merely just how he's being directed to perform the character.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I am delighted that Takehito Koyasu has reached the point in his career that he's winning Best Supporting Actor roles. He seems to be having a grand old time these days even if he's not in the spotlight.

I can't wait for the Fate Grand Order Camelot movies; his Ozymandias is an absolute gem, and I fully expect him to steal the show.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:42 am Reply with quote
I don't think anyone can say Tsuda just "phoned it in" for Golden Kamuy. His voice fits the part of Ogata perfectly. Maybe he won for his role as the narrator in Cells at Work Black!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1