• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Requiem of the Rose King TV Anime Premieres This Fall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Very excited!
DokoMadeMo
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:26 am Reply with quote
Apparently the title mentioned in the tweet that announced the "Bara-O no Soretsu" spinoff manga starting serialization was only a working title. The title was since changed to "King of Idol Bara-O no Gakuen" (キング・オブ・アイドル薔薇王の学園), as listed on Monthly Princess' official page on Akita Shoten's website.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote
Please please please only adapt the first arc and not the second where it all goes to hell...
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:50 am Reply with quote
Finally a tidbit of news! I can't wait to learn who's animating it. I'm hoping for Mappa, considering some of the themes of the story.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
mulletZERO wrote:
Finally a tidbit of news! I can't wait to learn who's animating it. I'm hoping for Mappa, considering some of the themes of the story.

Me, I don't care about which studio does it. This is not a story where flashy animation is important, in fact, animator flexing would be distracting I think. It's a lot more important that the visual team has actual creativity, and a vision and a concept beyond "just animate the manga ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ". With a source material like this, where atmosphere is incredibly important, it's imperative that the direction/overall visual concept is handled by someone with a clear concept of how they're going to translate from manga to anime. A "literal translation" with just putting the pages on screen is not going to work, no matter how detailed the animation is. It would just bring the whole show down.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
mulletZERO wrote:

Me, I don't care about which studio does it. This is not a story where flashy animation is important, in fact, animator flexing would be distracting I think. It's a lot more important that the visual team has actual creativity, and a vision and a concept beyond "just animate the manga ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ". With a source material like this, where atmosphere is incredibly important, it's imperative that the direction/overall visual concept is handled by someone with a clear concept of how they're going to translate from manga to anime. A "literal translation" with just putting the pages on screen is not going to work, no matter how detailed the animation is. It would just bring the whole show down.

That's a good point, but I'm more referring to the thematic elements and not the animation quality itself. Mappa has handled shows with similar themes before. Yuri on Ice, Banana Fish, Sarazanmai, off the top of my head.

Although I hope whoever animates it does an at least decent job. Haha
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
mulletZERO wrote:
SHD wrote:
mulletZERO wrote:

That's a good point, but I'm more referring to the thematic elements and not the animation quality itself. Mappa has handled shows with similar themes before. Yuri on Ice, Banana Fish, Sarazanmai, off the top of my head.

I really don't think that Yuuri on Ice or Sarazanmai have similar themes as Baraou... Banana Fish is somewhat closer, but not what I'd call similar, either. If we're talking about anime, it's in the same family as Angel Sanctuary, Oniisama he, Kaze to ki no uta, or even Utena.

Baraou is a high melodrama, dark fantasy shoujo manga. It has very dramatic, often very theatrical visuals, lots of contrast, really blunt visual metaphors alongside more understated, fragile imagery, etc. It wears its heart on its sleeve, its emotions are running overdrive almost all the time. It's melodrama in the best sense of the word (well, in the first arc anyway, the second arc is... eh.) A Baraou anime needs a creative team that understands how to handle this genre in animation without toning its passion down or neutralizing them, otherwise it's going to lose a whole lot of its personality. It needs a director who is not afraid of being shamelessly emotional, to go big or go home, to create bold and dramatic visuals, and then not screw them up by being awkward.

(Also, to be honest, I wasn't particularly impressed with the visuals of either YOI or Banana Fish. The animation itself is fine - the overall visual feel and atmosphere of both shows is not not really bursting with personality, not that either show really needs it. And Sarazanmai is well, Ikuhara so that's in a group of its own...)
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:15 am Reply with quote
mulletZERO wrote:
That has everything to do with the queer-friendly celebrity directors involved (Sayo Yamamoto, Hiroko Utsumi, and Kunihiko Ikuhara, respectively), and basically nothing to do with the studio itself (which is only really notable for bringing in outside directors). Also, Sarazanmai was primarily handled by Lapin Track, who previously worked on Ikuhara's Yurikuma Arashi but otherwise have much less of a reputation.

But Shakespeare in the style of a dark, homoretic shoujo manga sounds quite promising, wherever it lands. There are studios with barely any reputation to speak of that have been putting out some good work lately, so I'll say ahead of time that there's no sense in being prematurely disappointed if this isn't handled by MAPPA.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
That has everything to do with the queer-friendly celebrity directors involved (Sayo Yamamoto, Hiroko Utsumi, and Kunihiko Ikuhara, respectively), and basically nothing to do with the studio itself (which is only really notable for bringing in outside directors).

Additionally, the homoerotic/queer aspect in Baraou is not similar whatsoever to that of YOI or Sarazanmai or Banana Fish. It's relevant of course, but definitely not in the way that some people seem to think (and frankly, in a way that I think many will be uncomfortable with). So it's really nothing like the other shows mentioned, neither in style nor in themes or message.

I think it's a really good manga and a really good representative* of a genre that is notoriously difficult to handle well, so whoever handles it will have to do it really well.

*At least the first arc - the second is basically everything wrong with the genre, at least so far. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1