• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Gettin' Dr. Stone'd on Science

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote
This series seems to be the opposite of other serious shonen manga. In Jujutsu Kaisen or Hunter x Hunter they are hammering the audience the message that villains should be killed because there is no such thing as redemption.

Here there is a big deal about not killing people even though every weapon can cause lethal wounds. It's a shame though the studio doesn't seem to have a good budget considering the two episodes of the war they keep talking and moving with slow pacing.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
That final shot of spoiler[Ryusei] had me too excited, not going to lie. It was something I did not expect them to do, figuring they'd just end the season on Senku after declaring that the Age of Exploration had begun. But nope... they did the thing, and I loved that they did. spoiler[Ryusei and Francois] has become two of my favorite characters in the entire series, and I look forward to seeing them both make their debut in the upcoming season!

This season was a fun ride from start to finish, though. I knew that it would be, but I didn't think it'd be SO good. The OP and ED got stuck in my head a lot, the animation did have some flubs but overall was great - especially with Gen; my goodness, they went hard on giving him the best expressions of all types throughout this season - and meeting the three new characters was a treat. Ukyo and Nikki being the best of them, although Yo was a fun comic relief. Seeing Chrome come more into his own as a science user was a real treat, being reunited with Taiju and Yuzuriha was very sweet, and the ending for the season... god, I wept like a baby. spoiler[Although doesn't help the current manga events either making the final few episodes hit a LOT differently than they should've.] Overall, this season was so worth the wait, and now I'm just anxious waiting for the next.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I love how Senku's hair is just one giant cowlick. Most people would need a ton of gel to get that look, but he's the opposite - it's down and silky when it's wet, but as soon as it dries, it pops spang up with no styling needed. Laughing
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
In Hunter x Hunter they are hammering the audience the message that villains should be killed because there is no such thing as redemption.

spoiler[ You must be very early on in the series, if that's what you think. ]

Also in Jujutsu Kaisen, the enemies are actual embodiments of evil. So, you can't really redeem those. It'd be like saying they aren't curses, which would make no sense.
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
thedarkemissary wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
In Hunter x Hunter they are hammering the audience the message that villains should be killed because there is no such thing as redemption.

spoiler[ You must be very early on in the series, if that's what you think. ]

Also in Jujutsu Kaisen, the enemies are actual embodiments of evil. So, you can't really redeem those. It'd be like saying they aren't curses, which would make no sense.

Agreed. The big difference between Jujutsu Kaisen’s antagonists and Dr. Stone’s is that JK’s primary enemies are born from humanity’s negative emotions. They’re made of negativity and they seek to only harm, even the ones with sentience.

In Dr. Stone, however, there’s VERY few character’s who are truly “evil” in the same way the cursed spirits are in JK.

Of course there are characters whose ideals and actions are obviously wrong and spoiler[the Treasure Island Arc has Minister Ibara, easily the most standard Shounen evil villain in Dr. Stone so far.] But except for that guy, most of the cast are all just humans and they’re doing what they think is best for the world.
N_roxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
This series seems to be the opposite of other serious shonen manga. In Jujutsu Kaisen or Hunter x Hunter they are hammering the audience the message that villains should be killed because there is no such thing as redemption.

Here there is a big deal about not killing people even though every weapon can cause lethal wounds. It's a shame though the studio doesn't seem to have a good budget considering the two episodes of the war they keep talking and moving with slow pacing.

The secret to finding out if a character is evil or not is if he looks like some disney villain.

As Tsukasa looks like Tarzan he is not a villain, the same applies to Gaston = Magma LeFou = Mantle
Ok, this is a joke maybe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1