• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sekai Project Licenses All of feng's Visual Novels

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:26 am Reply with quote
Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka was one of the few more mainstream vns featuring blood-related incest, and unusually they chose that for the anime as well. So glad it gets a translation and very much looking forward to it once it releases.

Also, Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi the anime was one of my favorites when it aired so definitely checking out that too.
AP24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
Akaneiro and Hoshizora were released during the era when anime adaptation of VN were common. I miss those days.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the anime's, so I look forward to enjoying the Visual Novels!
paworksfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Looks like this outfit was trying to go for a "knockoff Clannad/Kanon era KyoAni but with more skin" type of deal. Solid idea but the execution was lacking.

AP24 wrote:
Akaneiro and Hoshizora were released during the era when anime adaptation of VN were common. I miss those days.

More like in that general era "fanservice-heavy school, slice-of-life, harem" was so pervasive that it was a genre to itself. Bakemonogatari was so huge because it played with so many of the same tropes while adding horror violence. Come to think of it, A Certain Magical Index did too, though with a tad less horror and violence but a bit more fanservice.

The people who complain about far milder stuff like Rent-A-Girlfriend today don't realize how much more pervasive and explicit it used to be. Where Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs was the last series of this sort - and it was 3 years ago - there used to be several of these every season released by competing studios. Looks like the generally much less explicit isekai took its place as the 12 year old male wish fulfillment genre. So you can thank Sword Art Online for displacing this stuff. Maybe that and the DVD collapse.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't the reason for the adaptations was because back then in the 2000s, there pretty much was a VN boom in Japan?

Honestly, I miss those days too and do look forward to the titles. But I also hope that Sekai Project has really gotten their act together.
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
They get more and more IPs, yet no news about Rewrite. Which is insane, the novel was fan translated ages ago.
AP24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:30 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Wasn't the reason for the adaptations was because back then in the 2000s, there pretty much was a VN boom in Japan?

Honestly, I miss those days too and do look forward to the titles. But I also hope that Sekai Project has really gotten their act together.

Yeah, VNs were selling crazy back then and so anime adaptations of them were common. That era pretty much started dying out around the time LN started to be very common interest for otaku.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:34 am Reply with quote
AP24 wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

Yeah, VNs were selling crazy back then and so anime adaptations of them were common. That era pretty much started dying out around the time LN started to be very common interest for otaku.

I did a panel on the decline of VN-based anime (and the decline of VNs generally) a few years ago at AWA and Youmacon, and recently realized I had posted the slides to Slideshare: https://www.slideshare.net/invalidname/whatever-happened-to-visual-novel-anime-awayoumacon-2018
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:46 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
AP24 wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

I did a panel on the decline of VN-based anime (and the decline of VNs generally) a few years ago at AWA and Youmacon, and recently realized I had posted the slides to Slideshare: https://www.slideshare.net/invalidname/whatever-happened-to-visual-novel-anime-awayoumacon-2018

When I have time I absolutely need to go through all this
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1