• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AIC, Toei Agency Sign Deal to Co-Own Megazone 23, Tenchi Muyo, Other Classic Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I've been pretty convinced those Megazone projects weren't happening at this rate, so I wonder if this helps or hurts that. (Closest we've gotten to anything out of it has been, uhhh, BD being the coach in that Battle Athletes manga last year, weirdly enough)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I want to see an 80s-style Bubblegum Crisis revival that properly continues the original OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:42 am Reply with quote
I just want AIC to make that Pretty Sammy sequel they announced a few years back and then did nothing with.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:54 am Reply with quote
I didn't even know AIC still existed at this point, I thought they died back in 2015. I assume they're just around to hold onto rights at this point?
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:22 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I've been pretty convinced those Megazone projects weren't happening at this rate, so I wonder if this helps or hurts that.

The PR material has brand new art I've not seen previously. It's not the same art that was used for the Megazone XI & SIN pilot films crowdfunding.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:33 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I didn't even know AIC still existed at this point, I thought they died back in 2015. I assume they're just around to hold onto rights at this point?

On paper, the AIC since 2015 (AIC Rights) is a different company from the AIC before 2015 (Anime International Co., Inc.) It's all the more complicated with both companies calling themselves simply AIC:

http://www.anime-int.com/

https://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/65101
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:37 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
They mostly just exist to keep making Tenchi OVAs every few years.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
The PR material has brand new art I've not seen previously. It's not the same art that was used for the Megazone XI & SIN pilot films crowdfunding.

Yeah, I suppose we'll see if it amounts to anything. One would think this deal would help, if it goes the way it's supposed to.
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They mostly just exist to keep making Tenchi OVAs every few years.

To be fair, it's apparent they've been working to make a comeback with their own properties after Toru Miura got the rights back for $77 (seriously). The new Battle Athletes airing on TV right now is an AIC IP. But as far as I can tell, with them being called "AIC Rights", they haven't been an actual studio for a while and have been trying to figure out how to use what they have, I suppose.

Here's a list of some of the properties they own.

I had no idea they had Genocyber until she showed up in the recent Battle Athletes manga, which seemed to be one part TV show promotion and one part showing off all the properties they have.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote
The only ones among the lot that really have any potential for rebooting are Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force and Vampire Princess Miyu. Tenchi Muyo needs to be put out of it's misery at this point. Megazone 23 is so of it's time that I don't think it can work outside the 80s. Dangaioh was a dull and forgettable mecha OVA that didn't even managed to have a proper ending. And Hades Project Zeorymer does nothing that Evangelion and the mecha series it inspired didn't do better.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
Speaking STRICTLY from personal taste, I do not think new entries in Megazone 23 & Bubblegum Crisis can surpass what the first two ova of the former and the first miniseries of the latter achieved. It was all about atmosphere, music & visual style. Having said that, I am looking forward to this.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
It looks to me that Kajishima probably wants to do a Geminar sequel (a guess from how the OVAs are going- the newest OVA preview has Kenshi saying "I wonder if I can get back home? That's another story!")
And I realized how horrible it would look if the current Tenchi animation team were doing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Tenchi Muyo needs to be put out of it's misery at this point.

That point passed a long time ago. If not with Tenchi in Tokyo, then certainly with the third OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kae kurono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
Speaking STRICTLY from personal taste, I do not think new entries in Megazone 23 & Bubblegum Crisis can surpass what the first two ova of the former and the first miniseries of the latter achieved. It was all about atmosphere, music & visual style. Having said that, I am looking forward to this.

Pretty much exactly how i feel. Animeigo just released megazone 23 on blu-ray a week or two ago (so happy to finally have it in my hands). so its funny that AIC announced during reboots of their classic OVA work's. I hope this partnership leads to an uncut all 3 episode blu-ray release of dangaioh in the west. Nay all of their OVA's from the 80's re-released.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Zeino wrote:
Tenchi Muyo needs to be put out of it's misery at this point.

That point passed a long time ago. If not with Tenchi in Tokyo, then certainly with the third OVA.

Razz

If you don't like them, don't watch!

And If you really want to know, I don't see how "Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki" can continue past the actual marriage... But that actually just means moving onto another chapter, finishing Geminar, doing the TM! IF series teased in doujin (about the next Gen). The GXP novels are 17 volumes long and not done.

They are picking up a living franchise that's hard to follow without access to novels, but I'm sooooo over "Tenchi should end" just because it didn't go the way you wanted and you don't make the effort to look into what isn't animated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Whatever goodwill Tenchi had as a franchise expired decades ago. But I can't see them doing anything with it given the utterly monolithic and hilarious backstory the one author is still rolling out, as if anyone can be bothered to go hunt his supplementary doujins.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2