• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Detective Is Already Dead

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote
The review says the show is streaming on Crunchyroll, but the link goes to Funimation
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Corrected, thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not sure what the exact setup of Japan's organ donor records are, but you'd think there'd be some sort of medical paper trail that would be the first place to check in questioning where Nagisa's heart came from and where it might be leading her to.

This twist also comes up in the recent Idoly Pride. That series clarified that Japan's privacy laws regarding organ donors are very tight, so much so that neither the recipient nor the donor's family will know anything about the other.

As for the series itself, I have mixed feelings about it so far. While I like the premise, elements of it seem counter-productively silly. Or maybe the absurdity of it all is the whole point?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Can someone please confirm to me that this show is not going to be a harem where our dead detective is effectively possessing three other girls............

Because that is the level of HIGH AS A KITE LOGIC that this series has shown to me so far.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with the review. I was coming here to enjoy some detective work, and was disappointed at how it's handled. I feel like part of the explanation to the investigation is simply 'because it's anime' and they still want to look smart for it. I'll probably have to readjust my expectation and see if it gets better.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so are you telling me that Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and The Detective is Already Dead have the same plot? Because that's what I'm hearing.
ChomboTheMahjongSpider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's even a badass cigar-chomping lady who, yes, is a cop, but let me repeat, is also a badass cigar-chomping lady.

I'm not sure I understand, why is "being a cop" added as what appears to be a qualifier for "badass cigar-chomping lady"?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
"The World's Greatest Detective" is longhand in the West for Batman and this series has as much detective work as the majority of Batman related movies so little to none; That was my assessment from the first episode. Siesta wasn't Sherlock, she was Batman and Kimi isn't Watson, he's Robin except one with a bad luck super power that would manage to get him kidnapped or in trouble frequently. So like Robin except weaponized.

So the series is about being a Legacy Character but without a character to be a legacy to, only a role, a declaration of intent.

I know that's what this is, I just don't know what that means. "I will become the next Batman, I don't have anything of the super special qualities or conditions that allow to assume such a position except for the desire to be The World's Greatest Detective."

Siesta had her special 7 Detective Tools- not a Utility Belt, just unnamed Utility Skills-, she had an organization, maybe and funding I guess. Nagisa should die against her first supervillain. Perhaps Siesta died against her last villain.

But then there's that codename "Siesta", that certainty the Detective is Already Dead. I don't know, I really just don't know. I can't pin anything to this series right now, even what it's not.
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:28 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I like this detective substitute but second ep was awesome

now third ep was meh, not a fan of the idea and the character designs, since the idol is the dangerous one I hope fourth episode gets better
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I did like the gag in Episode 3 that over the weekend our two heroes both got obsessed with the idols music, but were trying to be sort of subtle about it. Very Happy

Also based on Yuis parents dying in an accident, and the sort of subtle move she makes to her eyepatched eye I bet you money that she has had some sort of eye transplant and that its Siestas eye under that eyepatch.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Can I just say that given the weirdness of this series, I didn't even question the 'mom' subtitle? I just assumed Siesta was older than we thought or that Char was some sort of weird adopted kid or something. Never OCCURED to me to be a translation error! Very Happy
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
Can I just say that given the weirdness of this series, I didn't even question the 'mom' subtitle? I just assumed Siesta was older than we thought or that Char was some sort of weird adopted kid or something. Never OCCURED to me to be a translation error! Very Happy

I was concerned that there was going to be a character who isn't neurotypical in a way that resulted in her seeing Siesta as her mom, and was dreading how the writing could mistreat them. That could still be the case, but I feel a bit better that Char may just be another quirky character.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Can some one please explain to me the difference between ma am and momma?

If this is a mistranslation then I'd like to know the real one please.

Also how bad is it that I took the translation seriously and for a long time assumed that yep its just this show being this show.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:21 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Can some one please explain to me the difference between ma am and momma?

If this is a mistranslation then I'd like to know the real one please.

Also how bad is it that I took the translation seriously and for a long time assumed that yep its just this show being this show.

No, Char clearly said "Mom!"; "Ma'am" is more of a "ma'am" sound. Going for a Deep Dive here but it's from the Avengers, the British TV show about a male/female super agent detectives who work for an organization lead by Mom... who's a guy. Regardless, my second take/attempt at explaining it would be it's the "mum" British title taken out of context and translated into a different language and then re-translated directly. However...

Siesta: "That's my good girl."

I think Char's an AI/robot which was my first guess, I didn't even think "Mom!" would be close to a mistranslation as that's direct spoken English. The first character I thought of after seeing and hearing Char was Astrea from Heaven's Lost Property and it's not like "full android AI" would be the strangest thing in this series.

And I still think that's Siesta's eye; Yui being caught in a lie once doesn't prevent her from lying again.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:43 am Reply with quote
I figured Char was a rapid-grown clone or something who saw Siesta as a mother.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3