• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Black Lagoon Manga Creator Opens Up About Dealing with Depression

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Totally understandable. I’ve been suffering with depression for years now and just dealing with all of these dark thoughts on a daily basis can take you out of any of your favorite hobbies and pastimes. For instance, I love writing, but on days that I just feel completely drained due to my depression, I literally cannot get myself to write a single thing, even if it’s for something I’ve been working on for a while and want to work on.
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I have trouble with depression myself, but I dunno if it's appropriate to discuss how bad it's been here. I hope Hiroe-san can find an effective treatment plan and find a new equilibrium. Having to fight your own brain every day is exhausting.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I hope Hiroe-san is okay and is able to find a way to manage his depression. I cann't begin to imagine just how difficult it is to be dealing with that and the expectation of being a popular manga author.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Depression is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. All the best to Hiroe, and I hope he's able to get whatever help he may need.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Can totally relate, depression takes away all of your energy and sometimes you don't even want to get up from bed- and we're talking about drawing manga, one of the most exhausting works in the world. Now I see why Black Laggoon takes so long to come out.

I think a lot of hiatuses caused by health issues (be it physical or mental), authors just don't like to talk about it, which is pretty understandable.

I wish him the best! Get well, sensei!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:14 pm Reply with quote
The only advice I can give to Hiroe is: don't give up. Even when you think you've given up, don't give up. OTOH, if he's had it this long and is still working, however sporadically, then he probably knows that already.

Best of luck, man. Black Lagoon is a pretty great series, IMO.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Depression is no joke and can just suck everything out of you. Emotionally and physically. A lot of people really underestimate just how bad it can be and how it's not simply just "being unhappy". I hope he finds some balance and relief from it.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I had wondered what happened to Hiroe as it felt like he was riding such a wave of success due to Black Lagoon but then it felt like he sort of fell off the planet shortly after he appeared at Anime Expo.

Having a parent who has suffered from depression for most of my life, I am very sympathetic to what Hiroe is experiencing. I hope that he's been able to seek professional help dealing with his experiences.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:06 am Reply with quote
Shit... why did he deleted he tweet??? Hope he didn't get in trouble by some superior with backward mentality who thinks depression isn't something serious...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1