• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kemono Friends Production Company Launches LGBTQ Sensitivity Reader Service

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Let's be honest japan needs for how not to be unintentionally racist to black people, more then they probably need it LGBTQ more then likely
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Let's be honest japan needs for how not to be unintentionally racist to black people, more then they probably need it LGBTQ more then likely

There's more gay people in Japan than there are black people both in real life and in fictional media. There wouldn't be much demand for that. Although who knows if anyone is actually going to be using this consultation service either.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:58 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

You can have both…also racism in Japan is not limited to blacks they’re not to fond of Brazilians, Koreans, & Chinese. Also I think you mean intentionally and unintentionally.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:25 am Reply with quote
Since the production company collaborates with a Chinese-based CG studio, hopefully some of that LGBTQ sensitivity can seep over into China.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:47 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

You can have both…also racism in Japan is not limited to blacks they’re not to fond of Brazilians, Koreans, & Chinese. Also I think you mean intentionally and unintentionally.
Would that not be xenophobia, they are all part of the same ethnicity East Asian after all.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:55 am Reply with quote
Japan certainly has a xenophobia problem. There were once signs on some restaurants saying they were only admitting Japanese patrons. I mean they also said "Please" on them so at least they were polite about it.
PandaXs1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Would that not be xenophobia, they are all part of the same ethnicity East Asian after all.

yes, Japan has a long history of discrimination against Chinese and Koreans (many of whom are multi-generational residents of Japan), but the important part here is how it's not actually racist lol
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

At least no more than Americans, to be fair.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Yes but you're still hating people because of how different they are from you which can within a specific context be considered racist also self hating racism is a thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1