• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An "Inuyasha" Game That Should Be Better Known

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:40 am Reply with quote
Currently,"Yashahime:Half Demon Princess" is broadcasting on Adult Swim's Toonami. But,as we all know,before that was "Inuyasha." Basically it's a show about a half-demon fighting other demons while trying to figure out his relationship with a girl from our time who ended up in his. The anime was based on a manga by Rumiko Takahashi would also inspire a lot of video games.
Among all of the "Inuyasha" games out there,there's one that while I haven't played it,I have gravitated towards for a pretty obvious reason for those who've been here for a long time. It's called "Inuyasha:Secret of the Divine Jewel." And,so far,it's the only one in the entire franchise that has an American character in it. In a way,Janis is a bit of an outsider. She's an American girl who had returned to Japan after living there previously because her father had a job transfer back there.

There,she befriends Kagome,the series lead. When she hasn't appeared in school for a few days,Janis goes to the Higurashi Shrine to see if she's okay. It quickly changes from an errand to check out to see if a new friend is okay to an adventure she never could have imagined. She ends up in the Feudal Era of Japan where she meets up with Inuyasha and his friends and they try to help her out.
All in all,this could have been a pretty good game or even an OVA or something like that. From what I saw,it had an interesting idea with could have worked. For a lot of video game critics,it had really clunky mechanics and stuff like that. They even felt that this game was even a cash grab for American fans of "Inuyasha." Now,I've never played this game myself,but I have a feeling that this could be another in what I call "the good idea gone wrong" or "gone bad." If you're a subscriber,you'll get a longer view of what I'm talking about from my "Thundercats Roar!" review.

Here,I'm going to give you the "Reader's Digest" version of what I mean by this. You have a good idea for something,be it a novel,film,cartoon,whatever. In the process of it being made,something goes wrong and ends up being hated because of that flaw that was there. For me,"Inuyasha:Secret of the Divine Jewel" had a good idea behind it. It gave us a character that was from a foreign land and gave us an outsider's perspective of what the world of "Inuyasha" would feel like to that person.
I also kinda like the reactions of some of the people of the feudal era of this gaijin appearing out of nowhere and how they deal with it. Could the game have been better? That's a strong possibility. It had a good idea behind it. It just never really lived up to it. Now,it's an obscure game few people have heard of and that's a shame. Because,I think it had a fine idea behind it. Too bad things didn't work out for it. It could have done better with the right mechanics behind it. So,what do the rest of you think about it?
Chocobos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:14 am Reply with quote
I can't find anything about such a game on google. Even games based on popular brands like Dragon Ball have not achieved much success. I think you need something that is more popular

You should try Path of Exile - a brilliant game for people who like grind and poe currency. I am a PoE currenncy seller, so I would like to sell you the orbs

Last edited by Chocobos on Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah,Chocobos. This game is really obscure. I've only seen it in a few places. That's why I wrote this. I hope that this game gets more exposure than it's gotten. Hopefully,others might take an interest in it like you did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1