• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Summer 2021, Sep 9-15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
Wonder if the 13th episode of Higurashi will finally give it the bottom spot
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:55 pm Reply with quote
SO Finally the detective is already dead is now at the bottom for both the long run and the episode ranking version of the charts!!

Yes it is a complete victory!

that said I get why people really hate the current higurashi arc/season...but I think people are being a bit overly harsh to it.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:45 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

that said I get why people really hate the current higurashi arc/season...but I think people are being a bit overly harsh to it.

This season has been a solid 80% recap of the previous season which already lifted from the prior storylines a fair bit. The ire is 100% earned I believe.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:01 am Reply with quote
FYI, the reviews for Kageki Shoujo and Remake Our Life came in yesterday, so I updated the ranking to include them. Noticeable changes are:
Remake Our Life! ep10: #8 -> #14
Love Live! Superstar!! ep7: #10 -> #5

BTW I was also waiting for that Detective is Dead watershed moment. The rankings of the first 3 episodes were keeping it afloat at #21 on the cumulative, but the combined effect of 8 episodes at the bottom finally kicked in. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

This season has been a solid 80% recap of the previous season which already lifted from the prior storylines a fair bit. The ire is 100% earned I believe.

Lets be somewhat fair the answer arcs for higurashi have always had "recap" and most of the original 13 episodes of the last season also had a lot of "recap" to be fair at the time we were still under the suspension that something weird and odd was happening.

The problem I think this time is that the questions and answers we are being asked/receiving are just .....Lets say not up to the series standard. A lot of people at the end of last season where asking WAIT WHAT IS LEFT FOR SEASON 2 THEN? The answer apparently for most people is NOT WHAT I WANTED. Most people either don't care about what is happening or just flat out hate it because they don't like seeing ryukishi actually unpacking and going through all the SPOLIERS chan stuff that this season is largely centered around after being the least explored member of the cast previously.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lets be somewhat fair the answer arcs for higurashi have always had "recap"

Only one of the answer arcs in the original series really followed the ‘same events from a different angle’ approach that all of Sotsu’s used, though.

I think fatigue with the recap has built up week by week, and the added information in replaying events has gotten thinner — the latest two arcs have too many scenes that only add more of the culprits gloating over causing the events we’ve seen before, without much worthwhile new information.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Sotsu's been light on the mystery (much simpler and less well designed than in past shows, with lots and lots of redundant re-treading of the obvious), light on the horror, heavy on the gore (almost to the point of satire -- & which it seems to have confused with the trademark horrific atmosphere), heavy on the fantasy elements (which were pretty subdued in the original few anime seasons), and heavy on undermining important themes and character arcs without a good reason for doing so. Not sure it is genuinely worse in some inter-show-standardized sense than the others at the bottom of the standings, but it at least isn't hard to see why it fell down there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1