• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Carboloading with Yakitate!! Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope it's revealed his special skill is making mushroom bread.

That's the best part about Kinoshita, since Yakitate!! is mainly a gag series. With everybody usually gone from that Pantasia store due to the various tournaments in the series, Kinoshita is almost always left to the run the store all by himself. Luckily, Kinoshita not only has the ability to move so fast that he essentially creates shadow clones of himself to do the various jobs, but he's also able to perfectly imitate anyone else, allowing him to create the various breads that his co-workers are capable of!

In short, Kinoshita is actually the most powerful character in Yakitate!! Japan, but since this is a gag series all he's really good for is running the store all by himself, while everyone else does the actual important stuff.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
Was this the show where the old American woman put her cat in the microwave to dry it, then sued the manufacturer because they hadn't put a warning label on it to not microwave pets?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:40 am Reply with quote
This is actually one of my favorite series; I stumbled across it a long time ago while trying to find food-based anime (and there aren't many), and this was well before Food Wars was a thing. Something about the humor, its edutainment approach, and the more parodic approach to its food reactions (as opposed to Food War's kind of more humiliating take) was just right up my alley. I'm glad it's more widely (and legally) available these days. Smile
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:45 am Reply with quote
no experience with the anime, but i read the manga back in the day. because you mentioned fanservice, we had this joke with the evil girl, whenever she appeared her outfits kept on getting skimpier, so we joked that she would eventually show naked... and so she did.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
All I really knew about this show was the infamous FISH AND CHIPS, but that was enough to put it on the backlog.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Food is inextricable from human history, and that means it's simultaneously taken for granted in a lot of developed places but also deeply affected by the geography and politics of the people who prepare it.

I learned from Hetalia that English words for meats (beef, poultry, pork, mutton) are mostly from French and the words for the animals (cow/cattle, chicken, pigs/swine, sheep) are from Germanic roots because the Normans were the rich aristocrats who got to eat meat and the Saxons were the serfs who had to raise the animals.
Ruddor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:56 am Reply with quote
I still remember how absolutely crazy this series gets.
I mean, the manga ends with spoiler[Kawachi transforming into Dhalsim from Street Fighter and levitating all of Earth's land masses, thus ending the threat of global warming.]
I am not kidding. That is actually how this series about bread ends. Look it up, it's wild.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:02 am Reply with quote
Omg. It's been the longest time since I have heard anything about Yakitate!! Japan. Before Shokugeki no Souma, I, too, am a fan of this anime but I stopped watching this cause... I couldn't watch it anymore Sad

I think it is time for me to catch up what's been happening to this anime! Very Happy
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the manga's humor sometimes has problems of Bobobo and Gintama that doesn't translate well into English. Gintama sometimes changed from normal shonen to comedy depending on whatever Sorachi cared, making the anime more popular though the manga was cancelled by Viz. Meanwhile, I have no idea what happened with Bobobo.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I loved this show back in the day, but I never finished watching it because it made me so hungry for soft tasty bread that I just had no access to (for real, lol). But I've been thinking of watching it again. It really was a fun show Smile
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:50 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Was this the show where the old American woman put her cat in the microwave to dry it, then sued the manufacturer because they hadn't put a warning label on it to not microwave pets?

Yes, but they also say that's only an urban legend about three seconds later.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I could see myself watching an episode before bed (bread) or in the background.

I really hope this is the Simpsons reference I'm imagining it to be
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1