• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Winter 2022, Feb 19-25

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mimas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that for Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai, even though it isn't getting reviews there is still a review score for episode 70. Is there a staff member reviewing it just not writing episode reviews? Is ANN waiting until the series ends (Which likely won't be until end of summer) before putting out series reviews?
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I will say what I said last time. I hate that Delicious Party Pretty Cure, which is both legally streaming and has weekly reviews, isn't making the list. Especially since Platinum End and World's End Harem, which most people seem to hate (disclaimer: I have not watched them nor do I intend to) end up on this list while Delicious Party doesn't.

Which means Delicious Party, which is an excellent series with great characters and a really good story so far, is ranked lower than these two series that are considered terrible by the majority.

Pretty. Cure. Deserves. Better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:45 pm Reply with quote
@ Mimas: It's being reviewed on ANN's French Edition. So I guess if you can read French, set it to Français and look it up there. Smile

@ Saeryen: That does seem odd that it was popular enough to make the review cut, but apparently is not being watched (or rated?) by enough people to make the ratings list. Did a lot of people vote it in out of pity for those pleading its case but then never watched it, or are the people who wanted it reviewed just not bothering to rate the episodes? Yet the reverse seems to be true for Yashahime, CUE! and a couple others - not popular enough to make the reviews, but still rated enough to make the rankings. Curious.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Mimas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
@ Mimas: It's being reviewed on ANN's French Edition. So I guess if you can read French, set it to Français and look it up there. Smile

Thanks! Found it. animenewsnetwork.com/fr/review/dragon-quest-the-adventure-of-dai/episode-70/.183033
While I don't know French at least the web is much better at translating French to English than it is with Asian languages. Looks to be shorter and more of a summary than the reviews we get in English.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see some of my favorites are rallying to the top. February was a good month for the Iyashikei shows in general, in my opinion.

Sad to see Police in the Pod so low, I enjoyed the manga and the anime adaption is pretty much spot on. May not be world shaking or emotive, but neither was the source. It is a well done and fairly respectful adaption.

Leadale... well, the novels are better, and if you have read them the anime does some serious jumping of stuff. I still enjoy seeing things animated, and "Little Fairy" makes me laugh.

Slow Loop - I am so happy that it is getting recognition, the last few episodes have been amazing, it is far more than just a fishing anime, in fact you could say the title, and the content, really have little to do with fishing at all, it happens to be the framework the real story is built on. I am so glad others are giving it a chance, probably a lot to do with the excellent reviews it has been getting from staff.

Also worth noting that Takagi, Dress Up, and Akebi are getting love. These are the kind of shows I like to watch before bed to relax me, the very embodiment of Iyashikei. I am more likely to watch the action shows on weekends and such, when I want to have something exciting to watch, but for daily intake I prefer the warm and fluffy.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:10 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I hate that Delicious Party Pretty Cure, which is both legally streaming and has weekly reviews, isn't making the list.

It started at week #6, after the first ranking. That's just too late to make it in.

Saeryen wrote:
Which means Delicious Party, which is an excellent series with great characters and a really good story so far, is ranked lower than these two series that are considered terrible by the majority.

No one ever said that. Not being on the list does not make a series "lower" than those on the list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

No one ever said that. Not being on the list does not make a series "lower" than those on the list.

I'll concede that the majority of the article seems to agree, but there is this sentence that makes me doubt that.
Quote:
the bottom of the list might represent 'watchable' rather than 'bad'.

The implication being that anything not on the list might be considered so bad it's unwatchable. Of course, they might mean "legally available" by "watchable" but the wording still kind of irks me, since Delicious Party Pretty Cure is legally available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1