• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kaguya-sama: Love is War -Ultra Romantic-

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote
It's a season of Kaguya. The staff know what they're doing, they know how to adapt and accentuate the material, and the VA's are still bringing their best. Which is to say it's great to have it back and it's as enjoyable as ever.

I also love how the ED is basically a sequel and genre shift from the season 1 ED, with a parallel ending scene.
thadec

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
It is clear that Iino likes Ishigami. Unfortunately, Ishigami - being a typical high school boy - merely wants a girlfriend and isn't that set on who it is. This certainly includes Iino but is by no means limited to her. Iino wants Ishigami to make the first move but that won't happen: as Ishigami isn't devoted to any one girl there is no reason for him to take a shot at a girl that (he thinks) hates him. The problem is that there is no "good way" for Iino to convince Ishigami that she doesn't hate him that doesn't involve making the first move. This at least in part because her aversion to his flaws are legitimate and shared in varying degrees by everyone else who knows him.

As for Hayasaka and Shirogane, she definitely won that interaction. Though it was well-intentioned and lacked malice, Shirogane's "just be yourself" advice was stunningly bad: it isn't an option for a lot of people and by having spent 2 years at that high school he should know this. So her "sure, but only if you go first" retort was perfect for exposing his high horse and knocking him off it. Shirogane has far less to lose by "being himself" than a lot of the kids at the school - he doesn't have the pressures and expectations that come with being from an elite family to deal with and he has already earned acceptance and a full ride to any university that he wants - and yet he still can't do it. Shirogane isn't a bad person, but this sort of thing is why - for example - he can't even get along with a little sister that absolutely adores him.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
thadec wrote:
As for Hayasaka and Shirogane, she definitely won that interaction. Though it was well-intentioned and lacked malice, Shirogane's "just be yourself" advice was stunningly bad: it isn't an option for a lot of people and by having spent 2 years at that high school he should know this. So her "sure, but only if you go first" retort was perfect for exposing his high horse and knocking him off it. Shirogane has far less to lose by "being himself" than a lot of the kids at the school - he doesn't have the pressures and expectations that come with being from an elite family to deal with and he has already earned acceptance and a full ride to any university that he wants - and yet he still can't do it. Shirogane isn't a bad person, but this sort of thing is why - for example - he can't even get along with a little sister that absolutely adores him.

I think the fact that Shirogane isn't from an elite family is why his advice of "just be yourself" is a good one. The pressure and expectation from elite family are irrelevant. I suppose if Hayasake was a massive idiot/failure, that had no hope of getting far in life without her family backing/connection, it would be a bad advice, but that's not the case. She has nothing to lose by being herself.
thadec

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:16 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I think the fact that Shirogane isn't from an elite family is why his advice of "just be yourself" is a good one. The pressure and expectation from elite family are irrelevant. I suppose if Hayasake was a massive idiot/failure, that had no hope of getting far in life without her family backing/connection, it would be a bad advice, but that's not the case. She has nothing to lose by being herself.

Whether your family is elite or not, the consequences being disowned or even simply shunned by your family are far from irrelevant. It is just that having an elite family significantly increases your chances of getting disowned or shunned.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Did this anime make an Arrested Development reference when Maki sadly walks away to the sounds of “Christmastime is Here”-ish jazz music?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Kashiwagi at first seemed like the only sane woman to Kaguya's antics, but now we see she can be just as excessive and obsessive when it comes to her relationships. And woe betide anyone who thinks they can get away with cheating on her.

The definition of what constitutes cheating and Iino getting berated for trying to defend the boyfriend and needing her ikemen emotional support was everything. And then when the tables turn on Kaguya when she tries to defend the karaoke thing was perfect.

Although you gotta love how she was so sure he was cheating on her and a simple gift was enough to spur on a passionate makeout session. With tongue!

Maki finally makes her proper debut! The girl whose suffering running gag finally culminates in her giving her whole spiel to Shirogane and Ishigami. She's (distantly) related to Kaguya and has the haughtiness and tsundere antics to match. But deep down she's just a girl in love who is in pain seeing the boy she likes with another woman. And Shirogane realizes this is partially his fault as he gets roped into it.

Of course Fujiwara would turn a question about group dates into a new game for the student council to play...where Ishigami and Iino find self-affirmation and Kaguya and Shirogane do a classic Shirogane and Kaguya power play. But at the end of the day, what's important is that Kaguya believes in Shirogane.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Having read the manga, I'm now semi-confused where the anime is in the timeline. spoiler[I thought Shirogane and Shinomiya had made their feelings clear to one another already in the anime? Aren't they already an acknowledged couple?]

Maybe I should re-read the manga. Were the skits in this week's episode anime-original? Whatever, it's still great fun.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
The skits were not anime-original, no
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Great episode, but poor Maki
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:45 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Having read the manga, I'm now semi-confused where the anime is in the timeline. spoiler[I thought Shirogane and Shinomiya had made their feelings clear to one another already in the anime? Aren't they already an acknowledged couple?]

Maybe I should re-read the manga. Were the skits in this week's episode anime-original? Whatever, it's still great fun.
Nope not yet. They both kinda sorta know they like each other, but it's not officialy acknowledged t. spoiler[The big climax of this season will probably be thebculture festival, where Shirogane finally admits to kaguya he likes her ][/spoiler]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:36 am Reply with quote
One thing I wasn't sure on was whether or not Kaguya knew (when it was being described) that the girl who whatshisface was supposedly cheating with was Maki. The second skit shows that they don't have a good relationship, so if she knew Maki was the "other woman," would have that influenced her opinion?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Kaguya and Ishigami's relationship really is heartwarming. And Ishigami trying to improve himself and do better because someone believes in him.

Tsubame's cute, affectionate, outgoing, and kind...who wouldn't fall for her?

The student council all lying about their feelings regarding studying with the student council was hilarious (even Fujiwara who was just lying about her allowance being at risk).

Ishigami pushing himself so hard and not achieving the results he wanted was so relatable. But Kaguya going straight into the boys bathroom to make sure he doesn't give up was great. And then turning on him when he reminds her that she got 2nd against Shirogane.

(Iino really does have such low self-esteem)...

I love how Hayasaka has to pretend to be a boy at Kaguya's house because Kaguya knows her at school. And that she has such developed backstories for all her cover identities. And that she can pull off playing a gay, war-orphan, Harvard-grad, super butler. And unlock Fujiwara's love of BL and epic nosebleeds.

Kei trying to clean up the apartment while her idols are on the phone and then forcing herself in when her brothers' love life comes up is such a little sister thing. Also, legs.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
Fujiwara turning the park circle like a record is inspired.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:55 am Reply with quote
The chika rap in season 1 is actually called out in this episode. In Season 1 she just added "yo" to the end of what she was saying. In this episode Chika was like "I thought all I had to do was add the yo", which Shirogane then called out.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:05 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
The chika rap in season 1 is actually called out in this episode. In Season 1 she just added "yo" to the end of what she was saying. In this episode Chika was like "I thought all I had to do was add the yo", which Shirogane then called out.

Yeah they are basically pointing out that she was just faking it. It sounded good but they clearly wanted to emphasize that there is more to rap than saying Yo or making sure it rhymes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5