• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Luminous Witches Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Well that's certainly unexpected. I was absolutely expecting Crunchyroll/Funimation to be licensing this considering how Funi has licensed much of the Strike Witches anime franchise for over a decade.

I don't know if there's gonna be any cameos from the other parts of the franchise, but if there will be, it's gonna be weird to have new voice actresses replace them for the parts. That said, if The Executioner and Her Way of Life's dub is any indication of the current level of Sentai's output, I get the feeling that it'll be a noticeable downgrade from Funi's quality dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Manu#12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love how we europeans went from having every (or almost) seasonal anime legally available and subbed in our languages, to having around 10 series licensed by a service who will only sub in English, good job on Sentai for forcing millions of people to pirate, all because they want an exclusivity deal they'll never use
Kalhiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:35 pm Reply with quote
A bit of a shame. I’d have preferred this go to FuniRoll to keep the franchise together. At least it’s the spinoff and not part of the main series.
RommieSG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:35 pm Reply with quote
This is really disappointing. My friend and I are finally on our last chapter of catching up on the Strike Witches franchise by watching Brave Witches since transferring to Crunchyroll. He was looking forward to this, but he does not subscribe to HIDIVE. How could they let this one chapter of the Witches World slip through their fingers?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Manu#12 wrote:
I absolutely love how we europeans went from having every (or almost) seasonal anime legally available and subbed in our languages, to having around 10 series licensed by a service who will only sub in English, good job on Sentai for forcing millions of people to pirate, all because they want an exclusivity deal they'll never use

Kongming, Executioner, and Demon Girl Next Door S2 all have Latin American Spanish and Portugese subs. But it does appear that they are several weeks behind (Executioner has them through episode 8). And two additional languages is a much smaller selection than what Crunchyroll offers. They could do more languages and have faster releases to bring them up to par with CR, but they aren't exclusively English.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm more than happy to see Sentai & HiDive finally being able to actually license titles again. The summer season is their biggest in a long time, and after much concern over a potential Crunchyroll monopoly following the big merger, it's great to see.

That being said, it is odd that this is one of the titles that ended up in their hands since it's part of the larger World Witches series, but on the bright side it seems to be pretty much entirely independent of the other entries, so it shouldn't be too big a deal.
Manu#12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:19 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Manu#12 wrote:

Kongming, Executioner, and Demon Girl Next Door S2 all have Latin American Spanish and Portugese subs. But it does appear that they are several weeks behind (Executioner has them through episode 8). And two additional languages is a much smaller selection than what Crunchyroll offers. They could do more languages and have faster releases to bring them up to par with CR, but they aren't exclusively English.

It's specifically Latin American Spanish and the only reason they sub in Portuguese is because of Latin America, they're still missing languages such as European Spanish, French, German, Italian, and so on. I should've been more specific, what I mean is that they only focus on America.

Edit: They have 2 series that are subbed in those languages but it's only because Crunchyroll shared them with Hidive.

My point is that us europeans never had the chance to legally watch some series since they were only available in the US, now that Sony bought Crunchyroll we're getting most of those series and the simulcasts are pretty much the same everywhere which is what we've always wanted. Now we have to worry about another service that gets global licenses and then only uses them in America, making said licenses not accessible in Europe.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot to mention, Sentai had a bunch of series removed from Crunchyroll, which I obviously have nothing against, but they never re-uploaded those series on their service in Europe, so again, no way to watch them legally anymore because they don't care.

Last edited by Manu#12 on Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Manu#12 wrote:

How is that in any way different from the time when CR and Funi are still separate (Fall 2021 and before)? Pretty sure that Funi's regional coverage was much worse than Sentai, and almost half of seasonal anime ended up on Funi and can't even be watched outside Funi's region.
Manu#12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Manu#12 wrote:

How is that in any way different from the time when CR and Funi are still separate (Fall 2021 and before)? Pretty sure that Funi's regional coverage was much worse than Sentai, and almost half of seasonal anime ended up on Funi and can't even be watched outside Funi's region.

1. They were either available on Wakanim or Funi would sell local companies a sub-license for those countries.

2. Even if what you said was 100% true, the fact that someone did it in the past doesn't make it less worse.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Manu#12 wrote:

Well, we haven't seen the exact streaming regions for this title listed yet, though I don't fault people for pirating if the content is straight up unavailable to them.

But... in order to prevent piracy, US companies are expected to license practically everywhere for reasons of "English is a global language," but by only subbing in English, they're also encouraging/forcing piracy?
Manu#12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Manu#12 wrote:

Well, we haven't seen the exact streaming regions for this title listed yet, though I don't fault people for pirating if the content is straight up unavailable to them.

Tbh I doubt anything will change

Zalis116 wrote:
But... in order to prevent piracy, US companies are expected to license practically everywhere for reasons of "English is a global language," but by only subbing in English, they're also encouraging/forcing piracy?

I'm sure they automatically get global licenses, from what I know Japanese companies have started selling global licenses rather than just licenses for a few countries, but I might be wrong about this. My problem with this isn't them getting global licenses because it's possible that it's not their choice, my problem is that they're not willing to either sub them in more languages or sell a license for those series to someone else in Europe, their choice is to just...gatekeep those series

Last edited by Manu#12 on Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:06 pm; edited 6 times in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
This was very surprising. No one seems to really care about this franchise anymore, but I expected Crunchyroll to stream it.

Pokenatic wrote:
I don't know if there's gonna be any cameos from the other parts of the franchise, but if there will be, it's gonna be weird to have new voice actresses replace them for the parts.

They shouldn't have to recast anyone because they have access to Texas based actors, who have dubbed this franchise through the years.

RommieSG wrote:
How could they let this one chapter of the Witches World slip through their fingers?

Perhaps CR didn't want it.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Oh, it's you again *facepalm*

Yes to first part and yes to second part. I did write a long explanation but then I just decided it is probably best to just write: learn about Muse.
OrangeRafi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting CR to stream this so this announcement came as a surprise. But it's also good that CR is somehow gettinga competition when it comes to acquiring some of the "most" anticipated shows, at least the CR monopoly is not happening (yet). I'm not sure how long Sentai can keep up with the AMC money.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
HIDIVE to stream Strike Witches anime spinoff
That's rather queer, you would think Funimation/Crunchyroll would have gotten the license given that Funimation has licenced practically all of them since the original. Maybe being a spin off changes things, like how Sentai got that Bahamut spin-off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2