• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac - Battle for Sanctuary CG Anime Streams on Crunchyroll on J

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Despite all the promotion(and articles here), I really doubt it'll do well in USA/Canada

In South and Central America where the franchise already has a large following, it will likely be more successful, if people can get past the CG and changes. And perhaps some interest in Europe.

But in US, with that premise, coupled with general reception of the 2019 and 2020 incarnations, I place my bets on...no.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
In South and Central America where the franchise already has a large following, it will likely be more successful, if people can get past the CG and changes. And perhaps some interest in Europe.

the backlash over Seiya's voice-actor in the Latin Spanish dub was huge(voiced by Gael Garcia Bernal's brother who never did voice-over before and it shows...)and even if you don't understand spanish,you can tell his performance was awful,especially in contrast with the other characters,voiced by most of the classic dub cast.
I really doubt he's coming back for this season,since his casting was Netflix's idea to begin with(and Hyoga too,also played by a star talent.People were actually fine with him,but they will probably just bring his classic VA back this time),so they better bring someone who can finally honor Jesus Barrero.

(removed the second quote by SenpaiDuckie)
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:46 pm Reply with quote
As a SouthAmerican "fan" (didn't feel too much emotion in the anime after the Hades Sanctuary OVAs due to the change of staff), I don't see myself liking it. The change of Shun, the animation, the pacing, etc. Then again I liked more the spinoff Lost Canvas kinda more than Meikai Hen and Elysium OVAs if it was a story that recycles characters' roles. The original actor from Seiya in Spanish died and had to be replaced by a new one that didn't have the same appeal. I was kinda bored watching the first part since Seiya sounded more awkward and Netflix didn't even offer the Japanese version with Morita or Furuya.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

As someone from South America, I can guarantee that very few people were impressed with this reboot. The whole show feels more like Toei wanted to appeal to people from the U.S. by changing the setting and the names of the characters, not to mention that the show feels more like an American Cartoon than an anime, save for a couple of violent moments.
It also didn't help that when the show premiered on Netflix Seiya was voiced by a Mexican celebrity instead of a professional voice actor, Seiya's original voice actor in Neutral Spanish passed away in 2016, finding a replacement was going to be difficult but the actor that Netflix chose was the most criticized aspect of the show because of his sub-par acting. Hyoga was also voiced by a celebrity voice actor, though he did a much better job. Now, CR has confirmed that Hyoga's original voice actor from the original anime is returning to the role, Seiya will have a new voice actor as well but we don't know who will voice him now.

(removed the second quote by SenpaiDuckie)
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:14 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like they want to do some major course correction, but the question is did they and how successful were they if they did. I’m all for giving people a second chance, so hopefully they succeed.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:31 pm Reply with quote
May I ask why the OG Saint Seiya anime was taken off Netflix/CR?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
May I ask why the OG Saint Seiya anime was taken off Netflix/CR?

More than likely it was simply a case of the license expiring & Netflix deciding that it wasn't worth the money to renew the license. It would also explain why this second season of the CG series went to Crunchyroll, as Netflix pretty much gave up on Saint Seiya, as they didn't bother to renew the license to The Lost Canvas earlier this year, either.

Once the license for the first CG series expires, I'm sure Netflix will dump it ASAP. As for Crunchyroll dropping Seiya TV in "North of Mexico", that was via a deal with Cinedigm (who had the rights at the time & only had the first 73 episodes subbed), and that license obviously expired.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:25 am Reply with quote
Deleted a post due to its insulting and rude nature. Retained the following posts who have replied to Blanchimont's, including the quoted sentences of hers. However, I removed the second quote on each post, which is the now-deleted-post.

Please be reminded to be respectful on your posts.
Mintchi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Hi, european here. The reception was a mix between "meh" and "this is bad". But after being so hungry for Saint Seiya content it wouldn't surprise me if some people would continue it. The changes were not taken very well thought.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1