• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, November 7-13 [2022-11-21]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote
Tactics Ogre at #2? Not bad for a remake of a remake. Glad to see it getting some success- its been a lot of fun.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:24 am Reply with quote
If we combine the different SKUs the numbers are quite interesting.
- Tactics Ogre sold 57,256 copies, not as much as previous remakes but it's a healthy number all things considered.
- Sonic Frontiers sold 46,276 which is a marked improvent over Sonic Forces, which sold 10,859 in its opening week, and it's Sonic's biggest debut since Sonic Heroes which sold 50k copies back in 2003 and was the last Sonic game that sold over 100k copies in Japan. Still, Sonic Adventure remains the game with the biggest opening week sales (176,614) and the most copies sold in Japan, we have to remember that Sonic is not very popular in Japan, though SEGA has tried to improve his popularity there. Also, despite being the inferior version, Frontier's Switch debut is much higher than both the PS5 and PS4 versions combined, this kind of justifies SEGA's decision to port the game to the console, and it's an improvement over Forces which sold worse on Switch back in 2017.
- God of War Ragnarök sold 40,637, a bit lower than the last GoW game.
On the other hand, Splatoon held the first spot for 10 weeks, that makes it the second game with the most weeks at that spot, Momotaro Dentetsu held it for 11 weeks. Now, Pokémon S/V will probably set a new record this week.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Sonic Frontiers sold 46,276 which is a marked improvent over Sonic Forces, which sold 10,859 in its opening week, and it's Sonic's biggest debut since Sonic Heroes which sold 50k copies back in 2003 and was the last Sonic game that sold over 100k copies in Japan.

I wonder how much the Korone collab contributed to that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1