• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Ministry of Finance Aims to Make Cool Japan Fund Profitable by 2025 or Risk Consolidat

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cool Japan Fund and Sentai Filmworks CEO John Ledford have invested in Sentai Holdings, LLC — the parent company of Sentai Filmworks, HIDIVE, and Anime Network.

Doesn't AMC own Sentai et al now?
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:39 pm Reply with quote
If Cool Japan's existence is mainly for promoting anime and manga on an international level, how do they even expect to measure "profitability"?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:26 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
If Cool Japan's existence is mainly for promoting anime and manga on an international level, how do they even expect to measure "profitability"?
Considering most of their investment doesn't even touch the manga and anime industry that much at all (it's mostly promoting a Japanese business - like inbound tourism, apparel fashion brands and food services), that barely even scratches where they actually making "profits" (and how much they sank on the thing that looked good on paper, but these areas are what exactly got hit first by the heavier COVID restrictions and now they are in massive debt).
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:29 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
dragonmastr wrote:
Considering most of their investment doesn't even touch the manga and anime industry that much at all (it's mostly promoting a Japanese business - like inbound tourism, apparel fashion brands and food services), that barely even scratches where they actually making "profits" (and how much they sank on the thing that looked good on paper, but these areas are what exactly got hit first by the heavier COVID restrictions and now they are in massive debt).

Sad if it is true. And I believed they promote in anime and manga.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:40 am Reply with quote
What would they "consolidate" it with? The aged politician's full employment fund? The Pork Producer's Board?

This sounds like that one employee at an office. Constantly being placed on one PIP (personal improvement plan) after another. Always on the edge of being fired but never quite there.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:23 am Reply with quote
Scrap it, it's a giant money sink beyond belief.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:32 am Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with this beyond its name so I'm curious: Has Cool Japan made a trackable contribution to Japan's tourism by way of anime/manga/pop culture promotion across the globe? Like, does anyone have those numbers to argue for its continued existence?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:50 am Reply with quote
I still don't understand how you can measure profitability for an organization that promotes Japan. It is not a business, unless it is creating anime shows or manga. Which doesn't seem to be the case.

Now if they are financially in the red, that means they have taken out loans or royalely failed to budget their expenses properly. That has nothing to do with profitability. If they are in the red, someone needs to go to jail.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:58 am Reply with quote
One thing that isn't mentioned in this article but by Asahi Shimbun is that an insider stated that the hallyu wave has overtaken public global interest over Cool Japan. K-pop, K-beauty, and Korean fashion are popular among Gen Z Japanese youth, and avant-garde Japanese fashion sub-cultures like gyaru are slowly going out of style as more young Japanese people are now dressing conservatively (i.e. long skirts).
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:35 am Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:
One thing that isn't mentioned in this article but by Asahi Shimbun is that an insider stated that the hallyu wave has overtaken public global interest over Cool Japan. K-pop, K-beauty, and Korean fashion are popular among Gen Z Japanese youth, and avant-garde Japanese fashion sub-cultures like gyaru are slowly going out of style as more young Japanese people are now dressing conservatively (i.e. long skirts).

That made me think of something people here often used to say; When economy is in a boom women tend to dress in skimpier skirts, and when on the other hand economy is in a slump women tend to dress in longer skirts.

Probably just an old wife's tale and not related in any way of course. But looking at the world right now.... Confused
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:55 pm Reply with quote
To paraphrase a comment on the AWO Discord, what would be “cool” would be not seeing “this video is not available in your region” on practically all Japanese pop-culture content on YouTube. One reason Korean pop culture is gaining traction is the simple reason that it’s more readily available than its Japanese counterpart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1