• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Boston Screens N. American Premiere of Oshi no Ko Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:27 pm Reply with quote
This is honestly my most anticipated anime for the spring season absolutely love the manga!
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey I'm going to be at that one. Last time I saw a premiere at Anime Boston was the City Hunter reboot in 2018
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:49 pm Reply with quote
So is this how we find out that HIDIVE (and by extension Sentai) have the license to the Penguindrum films?
Eddy2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:52 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
So is this how we find out that HIDIVE (and by extension Sentai) have the license to the Penguindrum films?

Idk about the series, but what do you mean by "by extension". Sentai and Hidive are literally the same company.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised, but kind of happy that they have the Penguindrum movies. With all the (deserved) hate for the series' English dub, I thought Sentai would be done with this franchise.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I am surprised, but kind of happy that they have the Penguindrum movies. With all the (deserved) hate for the series' English dub, I thought Sentai would be done with this franchise.

Is the English dub that bad? Only seen the sub but now I’m curious to see the dub to see what people don’t like about it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Kiwi93 wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

Is the English dub that bad? Only seen the sub but now I’m curious to see the dub to see what people don’t like about it.

It was made about 10 years ago when Sentai dubs were mediocre in general. I don't consider Penguindrum's English dub terrible, but I really dislike the way Kanba's voice actor voiced him, and Sanetoshi's VA was changed half way through the series.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Kiwi93 wrote:

Yes it was and so were the sub translation and the video transfer.

It was released back when their discs had issues, especially with shows with 1080i masters. The odd thing is that unlike Bodacious Space Pirates, which was released around that time with similar video problems, Sentai never re-released Penguindrum and they are known for using newly-authored discs in re-releases but it never happened here.
TiagoCosta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:28 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Kiwi93 wrote:

Yes it was and so were the sub translation and the video transfer.

It was released back when their discs had issues, especially with shows with 1080i masters. The odd thing is that unlike Bodacious Space Pirates, which was released around that time with similar video problems, Sentai never re-released Penguindrum and they are known for using newly-authored discs in re-releases but it never happened here.

Never say never, they keep doing rereleases monthly and several are from that era.

They didn't stop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1