• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Connect! Re:Dive Game's Global Version Ends Service on April 30

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:30 am Reply with quote
Bruh, how do you screw up something as big as Princess Connect! Re:Dive? I have zero hope that The Eminence in Shadow gacha game will last long now.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:43 am Reply with quote
Judging by the latest chart, PriConne EN makes pretty low profit, so no wonder.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:03 am Reply with quote
As a former PriConne EN player, I gotta say it's messed up for it to end its service over two years since its launch.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:07 am Reply with quote
I will never give crunchyroll money again.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:13 am Reply with quote
I play JP and have since I was in Japan. It's a shame, but this is why I cannot play EN games. Even JP games die in time, but EN games barely have time to breath before they go out with a whimper.
lazerem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:14 am Reply with quote
This is one of the very few gacha/freemium games to keep my attention and I'd been hoarding in-game currency for an upcoming banner character, this sucks. And absolutely no sign of being able to transfer progress to the JP version either so I'd have to start over completely and lose timed event characters.

I know money made by the game was brought up and this does seem to have a lot of FTP players but there's still the merch, and frankly nothing in Crunchyroll Games lineup looks like a big moneymaker, it's not like they have anything that can compete with the top gachas like Genshin and FGO.
Red_0.1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:29 am Reply with quote
It's Pecover
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:22 am Reply with quote
This certainly felt pretty sudden since the typical shutdown signs were absent. Still, two years is actually pretty long by mobile game standards. It was fun while it lasted.

I'm not sure how it can be claimed they "messed it up". Sure they could have always marketed it more, but it was always going to be a niche game. They brought it out initially because of the anime, but since that's been over for a while it just lost its relevance.
Glordit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:35 am Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Bruh, how do you screw up something as big as Princess Connect! Re:Dive? I have zero hope that The Eminence in Shadow gacha game will last long now.

Be months behind the JP version and not draw in enough customers to make money.

People seem to be blaming CR, it's not their fault the player base was small and not giving them enough money.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:56 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:

People seem to be blaming CR, it's not their fault the player base was small and not giving them enough money.

How is it not their fault? Have you seen a PriConne booth at any major convention in the last two years? The game didn't even show up in Google Play Store's section for games with running events whenever its events are running, and it's the only current major gacha without anything resembling a merch store.

Crunchyroll is an embarrassing company run by embarrassing people and running PriConne into the ground is a Herculean feat that only they could have pulled off. Multiple games have gone on to flourish as soon as they cut ties with Crunchyroll, and it's a shame there isn't a company who would be willing to rescue PriConne the way others rescued Bungou Stray Dogs and DanMachi.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:10 am Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Aerodynamic41 wrote:

it's one of the biggest and most popular games in the JP market. by all measures it should've been one of the most popular games of it's genre globally too. but because of CR fumbles, it flopped
Toyokaaaa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:20 am Reply with quote
This game got manga AND 2 seasons of anime, but in the end it didn't help at all.
So many mobages are shutting down this year, jeez.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:23 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
it's one of the biggest and most popular games in the JP market. by all measures it should've been one of the most popular games of it's genre globally too. but because of CR fumbles, it flopped

I'm not convinced this franchise is all that popular outside of Japan. MAL ranking for the anime (from 2020) is nearly 4000; the sequel is in the 800's. Other shows in that range are either very obscure or very old, or both. The anime was based on the game; but for everyone outside Japan, the anime came first, and it doesn't look like it was nearly popular enough to sustain a gacha game in a market that isn't friendly towards such things; most EN anime mobile games not named Genshin or Fate die after a year or so. I'm kind of surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:28 am Reply with quote
This kind of thing is why I stopped playing on separate English servers. They never seem to last long. I only play Fire Emblem Heroes because that's simultaneous worldwide.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:39 am Reply with quote
This is now what the 6th or 7th game CR has shelved? Though to be fair 2 of those games were transferred to a different publisher afterwards, but still not a good track record for them at this point wouldn’t be surprised if the eminence in shadow game gets gutted after it’s second year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3