• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Somari and the Guardian of the Forest's Creator Still Struggling Financially, Has Regrets

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James02

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:00 pm Reply with quote
That sucks. I also wonder now, how to pronounce Somali (or is it Somari) correctly.
Animeeightoh

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Daannng this person is poor and have no rent money but the Manga is free on MAL!? And Crunchyroll Co produced the anime!?
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I could come up with something even remotely as petty as being unable to watch something because you dislike the pronunciation of a name...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:37 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I don't think I could come up with something even remotely as petty as being unable to watch something because you dislike the pronunciation of a name...

While we can not feel the same way he seems to feel about the name being incorrectly pronounced, there are way worse fates that an anime adaption can suffer. The adaption of Somali was pretty great with not many things to complain about.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Animeeightoh wrote:
Daannng this person is poor and have no rent money but the Manga is free on MAL!? And Crunchyroll Co produced the anime!?

It was free back when MAL had free manga, but all of that was silently taken down in 2020. It wasn't entirely free either, just the first 12 of 39 chapters. You had to buy the volumes for the rest (or get a service that provides it; Azuki is currently posting chapters weekly).
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I was really disappointed when I heard the manga was going on hiatus. I adored the anime and was looking forward to reading the manga. I really wish manga authors were treated better. Hell, if they get residuals I’ll gladly purchase every volume.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed the anime so it is sad to hear they are not doing well.

I noticed a lot of impersonal pronouns used in the article. Is that the authors preference or is it a change in ANN style guides?
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:04 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Yeah, that seems like an odd thing to write off an entire adaption over.

The comment about the manga cancellation is also a bit odd. If the first defense you have to defend your series is that it was mentioned in Yahoo News one time rather than the actual sales numbers then perhaps the editors cancelled it for a reason.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

I noticed a lot of impersonal pronouns used in the article. Is that the authors preference or is it a change in ANN style guides?

Many manga creators do not publicly reveal their gender, use ambiguous pen names, or adopt pen names that imply the opposite of their gender identity. We often default to "they" in cases when a person's personal pronouns are ambiguous, unknown, or would otherwise be time-consuming to discern.

FWIW, I don't find "they" to be impersonal. Many people use "they" as their only pronoun. Perhaps unintentionally, but suggesting that "they" is impersonal isn't exactly LGBTQ+ friendly.

AFAIK this isn't a change; this has been a guiding a choice in these cases for as long as I can recall. I think the intended question here is "Yako is a feminine name; why didn't you use she/her?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:31 pm Reply with quote
James02 wrote:
That sucks. I also wonder now, how to pronounce Somali (or is it Somari) correctly.

You’re fine. No matter how you pronounce it, it won’t matter in English (the proper pronunciation in English, if you want to try, is Somari, but with an r that resembles a soft d).
It’s a matter of intonation (if a syllable is pronounced in a high pitch or low pitch), and it’s something honestly the sound director/editing staff at the recording should have noticed. In any recording with an original work, it is NECESSARY to confirm that stuff beforehand.
I’m guessing what happened was, was they asked the editing staff and he was like “I dunno I’ll leave it up to you.” It happens, it sucks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I'm really bummed to hear about the difficulties this mangaka is going through. I really liked the anime a lot (which makes me curious about why the creator isn't happy with it. I haven't read the manga yet so it's hard to tell). I'd really love it if they got back on their feet and found a way to continue doing Somari.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:10 pm Reply with quote
So, this anime bombed on Crunchyroll that the overseas anime royalties that (supposedly) went to the author is just pittance to non-existent, I guess? Its criminal that a show this good was underwatched. This bombed even if it aired at a time where everyone is stuck on their TVs and anime selection is slimmer due to the pandemic. Not even English dub helped.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
So, this anime bombed on Crunchyroll that the overseas anime royalties that (supposedly) went to the author is just pittance to non-existent, I guess?

Not even a pittance -- manga authors are not typically paid royalties by streaming sites for anime that are based on their series. Manga authors are normally paid a (fairly small) up-front fee if their work is licensed to become an anime, and that's all the money they see from it.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:03 am Reply with quote
James02 wrote:

If I read it correctly, the problem was they put the accent on the wrong syllable, atamadaka (1st) instead of heiban (on particle following)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:49 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Cryten wrote:

Many manga creators do not publicly reveal their gender, use ambiguous pen names, or adopt pen names that imply the opposite of their gender identity. We often default to "they" in cases when a person's personal pronouns are ambiguous, unknown, or would otherwise be time-consuming to discern.

FWIW, I don't find "they" to be impersonal. Many people use "they" as their only pronoun. Perhaps unintentionally, but suggesting that "they" is impersonal isn't exactly LGBTQ+ friendly.

AFAIK this isn't a change; this has been a guiding a choice in these cases for as long as I can recall. I think the intended question here is "Yako is a feminine name; why didn't you use she/her?"

There have been some ANN articles that use the impersonal "they" even when a manga creator has revealed their gender. If a manga-ka is using "he/him" or "she/her", why might ANN use the impersonal "they"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2