• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - May 17th - 23rd

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
YOU DIDN'T MAKE A REFERENCE TO ORANGE IN YOU GEASS COMMENT.[/seething rage]

well now that thats done

we finally hear the Zero voice and I have to say it sounds pretty good to me.

also more Diethard
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Eh, I didn't really like the English dub of Macross Plus too much. There were a few lines in particular that I thought were handled really badly. Also, I didn't know anything about the Macross universe, so a couple of plot points flew over my head. (Mainly the comments about Zantredi blood, or however you spell it.)

Still, compared to a lot of stuff Sci-Fi has shown, it wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it despite some of the issues I had with it.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Eh, I didn't really like the English dub of Macross Plus too much. There were a few lines in particular that I thought were handled really badly. Also, I didn't know anything about the Macross universe, so a couple of plot points flew over my head. (Mainly the comments about Zantredi blood, or however you spell it.)

Still, compared to a lot of stuff Sci-Fi has shown, it wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it despite some of the issues I had with it.

could you give an example?

I thought Plus had a great dub

Last edited by BladeDragoonZETA on Sun May 18, 2008 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
championferret

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sure I have one, maybe two female readers.

*waves*
RevyHenriettaRider

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:45 am Reply with quote
Hello! Cool

I am another female reader. Smile
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote
I am glad to know Bat the cat is alive and kicking at least. I still hope you get him back soon.
Lumicite

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
I'm a female reader too
Loyal, faithful and true to you, boo Wink
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I am also a female reader...wait females don't have wangs never mind. Neutral
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't really have a joke here, so feel free to make one up on your own.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel to figure out which shows Brian actually watches. The accurate and timely plot descriptions with narry a joke proudly proclaim "I watched last week's episode and saw the preview."

Otherwise, there would have been some throwback to the Speed Grapher preview.

Quote:
IN CANADA: It's filler-ville from here on out, folks.

So, as we in non-Canada approach the full-season-(plus?)-since mark, how much more of this must we suffer through? Does another arc even exist, or is it just a bedtime story told to little kids in an attempt to minimize underage suicide rates?

Relatedly, some relief that the Bleach description moves away from the "Fillers Ahead" statement of last week. Though, if #63 is how they wrap up an arc, I am dreading how pure-filler is handled.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
So, as we in non-Canada approach the full-season-(plus?)-since mark, how much more of this must we suffer through? Does another arc even exist, or is it just a bedtime story told to little kids in an attempt to minimize underage suicide rates?

Oh there's plenty more filler arcs ahead of us my friend, I'm sorry to say.... We've got until episode 220. Sad The last episode of the whole series in fact...... (of which I'd actually watch the last half of if I were you, the last 10 or so mintues of the episode is indeed cannon. Although there actually was cannon material spread out here and there in the first few filler arcs though.) And then after that we've got the incredibly slow Shippuuden...... Seriously dude, knowing how impatient a person you seem to be, I'd HIGHLY suggest just picking up vol. 27 of the manga and reading it from here on out. Although I wouldn't give up on the anime just yet either.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lelouch takes a cue from Bruce Wayne and dons a masked persona with which to fight against the evil, nasty cracker-ass honkies from Britannia as "Zero."

Lelouch sounds more and more like Char. Someone explain to me how this isn't Mobile Suit Gundam minus those meddling kids and their White Base.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
And then after that we've got the incredibly slow Shippuuden...... Seriously dude, knowing how impatient a person you seem to be, I'd HIGHLY suggest just picking up vol. 27 of the manga and reading it from here on out.

I noticed that. After reading the first few chapters of what would be Shippuden in the manga, I looked on Wikipedia to see how far I was into the Shippuden anime episodes (in terms of the story), and what I saw was that the rate was basically 1 chapter = 1 episode, which can pretty much only be done by really really dragging things out, or by adding all kinds of filler throughout the episodes.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

could you give an example?

I though Pus had a great dub

lol, amusing typo there. Very Happy Anyways

spoiler[The most jarring example was near the end, when Guld thinks that he just killed Isamu, whom he believed raped Myung. But Guld realizes at that point that he was wrong, that he had lost it and raped Myung himself and later forgotten the whole thing, and that Isamu knew the truth the whole time but had never told him, and had let Guld go on hating him rather than confront him with the horrible facts of what really happened.

At that point, Guld is rather understandably depressed/horrified, and he talks to himself, asking "What have I done?" I just did NOT like the way the English voice acter handled this scene, I thought it detracted from it a fair amount and made what should have been a serious and horribly sad scene lose some of its impact
]
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I noticed that. After reading the first few chapters of what would be Shippuden in the manga, I looked on Wikipedia to see how far I was into the Shippuden anime episodes (in terms of the story), and what I saw was that the rate was basically 1 chapter = 1 episode, which can pretty much only be done by really really dragging things out, or by adding all kinds of filler throughout the episodes.

Yeah, that's about right. In fact, there are actually a few episodes here and there that don't even complete one chapter's worth of material! Shocked That whole first arc where spoiler[they're rescuing Gara,] which is only about 3 1/2 volumes of the manga takes 32 episodes to get through as well. Basically it's the same thing as DBZ, the only difference being that with DBZ you got awesome stuff like big epic powerups and earthquakes and whatnot in all those dragging out sequences, whereas in Shippuuden it's basically staredowns and unnecessary flashbacks and whatnot, as well as really horrible cuts to certain unnecessary shots.

However it does have it's bright moments as well that are very much worth seeing, it's just mixed in there with some pretty crappy stuff as well. And the cannon material it covers is at least good, it's just the execution of it all that's horrible at times. Basically, it all depends on how much patience you have.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Oh there's plenty more filler arcs ahead of us my friend, I'm sorry to say.... We've got until episode 220.

So let's see here ... (220-167)/2= *deep depressing sigh*

Definitely hoping for another marathon, but chances are Memorial Day will feature one of their in-house properties (at least they seem to have finally stopped using the Fall theme.) Instead of seeing it as burning through canned work, I hope Viz sees it as an opportunity to get folks excited about DVD releases faster.

OH well, the new Shin Chan ending is different (cannot believe I never noticed the Action tower in the background before.) Off to do some moguls!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2