• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gash/Zatch Bell Manga Creator Raiku Sues Shogakukan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote
This just screams to me "Punitive lawsuit"

There's obviously some bad blood between the two, and somehow I doubt it was only because of a few missing color plates from Gash Bell.

I'll side with the artist by default until I hear details otherwise, although I'm not sure such a public lawsuit is the best way of getting what you want in Japan (that sort of thing works better in the US Smile ).
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
Well, a few missing color plates are sort of a big deal. Gash Bell is popular enough in Japan that original artwork by the artist would probably fetch a nice sum if someone decided to sell/auction them.
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah compare to the other crazy lawsuits I hear nowadays (like suing McDonalds for hot coffee??? Old I know), $31,000 doesn't sound so bad.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
To think after [i]seven years[i] Shogakukan would do this to Mr. Raiku, I don't understand why. Makes them look like they are very yen grubby.

Come on Shogakukan, the least you can do for a author of seven years is return his material.
Kyokat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
like suing McDonalds for hot coffee???

You know, it wasn't just that the coffee was hot, but that it was much hotter than it was supposed to be and the location had already been warned prior to the accident about the problem and not done anything.

I really wish people would find a different "frivolous lawsuit" example.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Well, a few missing color plates are sort of a big deal. Gash Bell is popular enough in Japan that original artwork by the artist would probably fetch a nice sum if someone decided to sell/auction them.

He just put two pieces up for charity auction. One closed at 164k yen and the other closed at 354k yen.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Kyokat wrote:
You know, it wasn't just that the coffee was hot, but that it was much hotter than it was supposed to be and the location had already been warned prior to the accident about the problem and not done anything.

The woman in question also suffered third-degree burns which required skin grafting.
Know the Facts: The McDonalds Coffee Case

As for this case, I can see where he would be angry. My concern if I were him, as mufurc pointed out, would be someone finding them and trying to sell them off. I can't imagine that person giving the money to charity like Raiku did.
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd Be mad too if a company were to lose some of my artwork. i think the proper term for this kind of situation is Negligence on the company's part. seems like Shogakukan is willing to accept the charges though.
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Kyokat wrote:
like suing McDonalds for hot coffee???

I really wish people would find a different "frivolous lawsuit" example.

yea like the lady in NY, that is sueing the NYC because there was some dog poo infront of her door step and her son stepped in it ruining their day.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Or the family in London that is sueing Nintendo for "emotional distress" because the Wii Fit told their 10-yo daughter she was fat. -_-
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Or the family in London that is sueing Nintendo for "emotional distress" because the Wii Fit told their 10-yo daughter she was fat. -_-

Except the family did not sue Nintendo, was not from London, and did not have a 10-year-old daughter.

And, by the way, the 11-year-old daughter was not fat. She was five foot tall and 97 pounds (6 stones, 13 pounds in English measure). And yet, Wii Fit said she should lose four pounds.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

Except the family did not sue Nintendo, was not from London, and did not have a 10-year-old daughter.

And, by the way, the 11-year-old daughter was not fat. She was five foot tall and 97 pounds (6 stones, 13 pounds in English measure). And yet, Wii Fit said she should lose four pounds.

None of which changes the fact that anyone who suffers "emotional distress" from being told to lose FOUR POUNDS has got some problems. Problems which Nintendo didn't cause.

I mean, I could see it if the game told her "GOOD LORD, YOU ARE A COW. LOSE 300 POUNDS NOW OR YOU'LL BE DEAD BY TUESDAY." But four pounds is just overreacting. The game was wrong. It's not the end of the world.

As for Raikou, it looks like half the manga industry is looking to hire this guy. Quitting Shogakukan was probably a smart move on his part. I'll be interested in seeing where he ends up (my money's on Shonen Jump.)
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

Huh... newspaper I read had some bad info, then. Thanks for the update.

Wyvern wrote:
As for Raikou, it looks like half the manga industry is looking to hire this guy. Quitting Shogakukan was probably a smart move on his part. I'll be interested in seeing where he ends up (my money's on Shonen Jump.)

That would be an interesting smack in the face to Shogakukan, jumping over to Shueisha. It could either get him some good exposure on his next title, or kill it really fast, the way Hiroyuki Takei's Shaman King was prematurely forced to end and the subsequent 10 installment run of his follow-up series "Juuki Ningen Jumbor".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1