• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Clever/Intelligent Character Tourney Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
She did? Not that I'm surprised. Akio wines, dines and beds blondes like he vacuums his carpet.

Naw, I was talking about this guy. If you haven't seen the series already, do so. He's probably not finals material, but he's certainly good enough for the semi-finals in my opinion.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Clearly you should have been around when the nominations were being made. Obviously some characters are going to be missed, especially from an unlicensed series that few people have heard of (which apparently this may be, if no one thought to nominate him).
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Group C Final
Johan Liebert, Monster

I think both are more or less equally cunning. Both are very intelligent and clever in their own regard. So this one was much harder to figure out then the other match up this round. However after some careful thinking I'm going to have to give Johan the edge here. To me I see it as a case of the old saying "anything you can do I can do better." They both are masters of manipulation and getting their ends met but I think Johan does it more convincingly, and also at a younger age. From the start (as in his life) Johan was pulling off such feats. The other reason is to me I feel Johan does it more on his own. By that I mean I have to wonder how much Lelouch would be able to pull off himself with help of Geass. I mean he was not born with that power, it was given to him. All of Johan's deeds were done without such powers and all from his own mind and cunning. While the Geass power in no way deters from the intelligence Lelouch has you have to wonder without it would he still be able to bring his plans to fruition. And doing that is part of being intelligent too. Not just figuring out a diabolical plan, but also setting said plan into motion and succeeding with it.

Group D Final
Aramaki Daisuke, Ghost in the Shell

I have to agree with abunai that Aramaki would simply gobble Light up like pastry. He drinks Light's milkshake! While Light is by no means a slouch via his intelligence I think his cleverness and cunning are just not up to par with Aramaki at all. Aramaki is like a master chess player. he is always thinking 3-5 steps ahead. Pondering outcomes and planning for all sorts of variables. Every time you think you might have him figured out he pulls out 2 plans you didn't dream of. He is a master of manipulation and more then that reading people. He simply can read people and more importantly situations better then Light. When faced with adversity another difference is Aramaki would not have dragged things out. had he been in Light's shoes L would have been dealt with much sooner. Likewise had it been Aramaki chasing down Light he'd have simply made Light disappear immediately. I think Light is very clever and brilliant but to me this is a case of a padawan just not being up to par to his master. Maybe in a few more years Light if you train harder heh.

DISCLAIMER---Now let me also make clear I will NOT BE CHANGING my votes at all so spare me any attempts at persuasion. I only posted as I was asked to via PM's. I have avoided this tournament like the plague as I saw it as a possible breeding ground for flames and elitist posts as the tournament is about intelligence so naturally some posters would have to tote their own intelligence via their votes. I make no such boast that my own votes are somehow superior to anyone else's btw. They're just the characters I think at this point in time are the stronger ones. So if you don't like my votes or reasoning you can jump off a short bridge because I don't care.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Clearly you should have been around when the nominations were being made.

Sophisticat joined a month after the tournament started, so there is no way they could have participated in the nomination process.

@Psycho 101: Someone went so far as to Private Message you? Why did they tell you, Aramaki was down by five votes and needed urgent rescuing? Hah. No, drumming up support (by PM no less) when the character you back is six votes ahead seems mean spirited. Especially when the person or people asked have historically avoided participating.

Despite my indignation I do want this thread to remain civil, so I'll leave it at that.
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
@Psycho 101: Someone went so far as to Private Message you? Why did they tell you, Aramaki was down by five votes and needed urgent rescuing? Hah. No, drumming up support (by PM no less) when the character you back is six votes ahead seems mean spirited. Especially when the person or people asked have historically avoided participating.

Despite my indignation I do want this thread to remain civil, so I'll leave it at that.

I also received a PM about participating, despite the fact I'm sitting out this tournament and haven't once voted. It urged me to vote because of several close races, but didn't mention any names or urge support for one side or the other.

I just thought I'd mention it to say that the PM was civil and not taking sides.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:
Clearly you should have been around when the nominations were being made.

Sophisticat joined a month after the tournament started, so there is no way they could have participated in the nomination process.

Well if you want it to remain civil don't run your mouth and jump to conclusions dtm. The PM was 100% neutral and simply asked just that I participate and nothing more. They didn't mention one name about who was in the tournament. I didn't even know personally who the hell was in the tournament to begin with let alone still around. I could give a rat's ass less who wins this tournament and only voted because the person (who I will NOT name) asked me nicely to participate. And whether or not I have participated before in any round of THIS tournament (as I voted in EVERY round of the last and also participated in the mini game, and came in second no less so you cannot say I've historically avoided a bloody thing) shouldn't matter one bit. The forum and thread is open for all is it not? So who cares as long as the voter actually knows something about the series they're voting on. So you and your indignation can take that walk of the short bridge I mentioned.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Geez, this is exactly why I decided to sit this out instead of participate. The petty and ridiculous arguing from the last tournament really helped to suck the enjoyment out of it.

I only checked in because I got a PM as well (also very polite and neutral in nature), but now that I'm here and see it's just more of the same as last time I don't think I will stay and vote.

These things are supposed to be fun. When the spirit of fun is lost because people start to take things so seriously, then what's the point?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
So you and your indignation can take that walk of the short bridge I mentioned.

No thanks; I wouldn't commit suicide for all the money in the world, least of all you. You rate yourself way too highly, my friend.

Since I am here, I might as well vote:

Group C Final: Lelouch.

Group D Final: Light.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Let me warn everyone that, if personal taunts continue to be the prevailing tone of this thread, I will lock it.

At any rate, I am going to recommend that we place a moratorium on these tournaments, once this tournament is ended -- if not do away with them altogether. Like others, I have long since reached the point where I feel that all the fun has been sucked out of them. Endless bickering is something we get enough of.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Let me warn everyone that, if personal taunts continue to be the prevailing tone of this thread, I will lock it.

At any rate, I am going to recommend that we place a moratorium on these tournaments, once this tournament is ended -- if not do away with them altogether. Like others, I have long since reached the point where I feel that all the fun has been sucked out of them. Endless bickering is something we get enough of.

- abunai

Personally, I think announcing the cancellation or postponment for the next tournament now is bit extreme. As you can tell by my posting history, I really enjoy these tournaments. They are fun and I always enjoy reading people's argument. I also love to debate. I also do not believe that it is unhealthy to be a little competitive from time to time if it remains good natured. I would hate for a little bad behavior to cause these tournaments to end. This last round has been a bit more spirited than usual, but only few people are acting up. I also believe that we can still change and bring back the civility to this tournament.

I also agree with Abunai. I believe that it is important to end the bickering and keep this tournament fun. Like I said before, I would hate for this to be the last tournament. Honestly, I am already looking forward for the next one even though this one isn't over yet. I believe it is best to do what Abunai says and keep as civil as possible. However, I believe that the decision to cancel or postpone the next tournament should be decided after the end of this tournament.

Hopefully, if we are all on our best behavior neither of the two above actions will be taken. So let's just all take a big deep breath and try our best to be nice and polite. Like JesuOtaku said, let's bury our hatchets but not in each other's heads.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Given that one of these fiercely-contested matches is (if I have my numbers correct) tied again, I will remind all that any vote or vote change with a forum time stamp of 12:00 a.m. or later will not be counted, regardless of whether or not I promptly end the round. (But I'll be online almost constantly between now and then so it should be called right on the buzzer.)

Also, I must, unfortunately, agree that some of these arguments have gotten a little too fierce, and I'm not completely innocent on that, either. I would very much like to do another tournament after this one - and I'm still up for running another one - but I will be monitoring behavior in the Final Four postings and use that as a determiner as to whether or not people can behave properly enough to keep the tournament civil and fun. Despite how heated the debates have sometimes gotten, I quite enjoy these tournaments and their discussions and want to see them continue. (But perhaps we'll use a more light-hearted subject matter next time. . .)

As for a cooling-off period, I would point out that the probable 5-6 week turn-around time while the next tournament is being set up should be sufficient for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I'm amazed these past few pages of concise, on topic and relevant posts, though heated in argument, can be classified as "bickering". I keep seeing A+ essay material being posted if you compare it with what the rest of the internet forums have a tendency to spew out. The only bit of name-calling I've seen so far were the four posts between Psycho101 and dtm42, which must be some kind of record.

You know, I have to give this forum credit for that. Kudos. We just need more clever posts like JesuOtaku's previous one and I'm sure all the bickering will be forgiven.

So, when mods here say this thread is about to be imminently closed down, I do have to cast my doubts. Is the behavior of a few select individuals to decide the fate of this thread? I liked this tournament, despite my favorite character being ousted early.

Or, we can, y'know, flame each other with some of measure of wit. The only bit of elitism I've seen so far has been on the part of the derisive side-liners. Let's show we can be better by not taking ourselves too seriously (which this forum needs more of, but I digress).
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
Round 5 Groups C and D Finals is now closed.

. . .Aaaaand we have a tie in Group C. Lelouche and Johan both advance with 15 votes each, so we'll have a Final Five. (Didn't this happen in the last tournament, too?) Aramaki ultimately defeated Light by a surprisingly comfortable 18-12 margin to fill the final seat.

While the Group A and B finals proved to be blow-outs, Groups C and D ended up being heavily contentious - but they probably should have been. The latter two featured a number of first-time voters, padding the vote total up to a tournament-high 30. Curiously, the half-dozen or so new voters overwhelmingly favored Johan/Aramaki over their respective competitors, which possibly skewed the final results, but this round also saw some of the most erudite (if occasionally disagreeable) postings on character merits.

The Semi-Finals will go up shortly.

EDIT: The Power Poll for the survivors is as follows (original seed in parenthesis):

1. The Count, 87.7% of possible votes (4)
2. Aramaki, 83.9% (6)
3. L, 77.7% (1)
4. Johan, 71.9% (7)
5. Lelouche, 66.1% (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
All brackets and mini-game scores updated at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
Tournament Semi-Finals are now closed.

Thanks to a tie, we're down to the Final Five instead of the Final Four.

Due to the competitiveness of these final bouts, votes cast without at least a sentence or so of justification for why you're voting that way will not be counted. If the two competitors were so evenly-matched that you had to resort to a coin flip, then say so. Do keep comments civil, and be sure to have fun whatever stance you take.

And one final comment: clips are all-new again this round. The Finals will feature all clips for the survivors used to date.

Guides:
Group A Guide
Group B Guide
Group C Guide
Group D Guide

Groups A/B Semi-Final
L, Death Note [ Video Clip ]
vs.
The Count of Monte Cristo, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo [ Video Clip ]

Winner: L
Total: 20-9

Groups C/D Semi-Final
Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Johan Liebert, Monster [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Aramaki Daisuke, Ghost in the Shell franchise [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Lelouch
Total: 13-12-4 (Lelouch-Johan-Aramaki)

Last edited by Key on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 78 of 90