• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo to Restructure, Reduce Staff Count from 130 to 30

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
9hoenix_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Just 30,that sucks

Last edited by 9hoenix_ on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
130 to 30?! Holy crap! 0.0 That's a lot of reduction out of one company. I haven't kept up with the rest of the world's economies - I know Japan wasn't doing fantastically, but are they doing much worse than we're led to believe?
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
So 100 people lost there jobs, dam the worsening economy sucks.
Wellness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
That is really bad. I have actually enjoyed a lot of Gonzo's stuff over the years. A devastating reduction of workers.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. This is why the industry needs such a turnaround. One of my favorite animation studios reduced to almost nothing. At this rate, they'll be lucky to put out at least one more show.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
That's ridiculous. God This economy is destroying everyone and everything. So sad to Gonzo makes great stuff.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
So we can expect what? Maybe one series a year now.

You know this might be a good thing, because if these guys are only making one or two shows a year, you can bet they will be pretty good. Assuming they didn't get rid of their best talent of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
That's ridiculous. God This economy is destroying everyone and everything. So sad to Gonzo makes great stuff.

lol what? Definitely not in my book *cough*strike witches, dragonaut*cough*. The only decent piece of work they've done lately is Druaga, but even that is on shaky ground. However, one anime industry down or falling apart is never a good thing
Zipper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
A majority of Gonzo anime is throwaway garbage. So I bet this staff reduction will put an end to that. They can't afford to waste money on bargain bin anime anymore. They need to stick with one or two shows per year and put all their effort into them. Kinda like how Studio Bones works.

I feel bad for all the people that will get laid off though. This economy is ass.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
"Bargain bin" anime? Their shows aren't usually meant to be high art, they're supposed to be fun, and that's what most Gonzo stuff is.
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, what this really means, it seeems to me, is more outsourcing. There are a number of really tiny anime production studios (30 staff members or less) because they do very little animating in-house. The creative team they do have is maybe a few producers/directors, managerial staff, and a few key artists and animators to serve as lead/supervisors on products they're producing or supervising (or to take the odd piecemeal work). But even a studio with a staff of 30 or less could produce one or two anime series a season, they just won't do much actual animating. Thanks to our connected world, you could probably produce an entire anime series yourself from your basement with little more than a computer, internet access, good industry connections, and piles of cash (oh wait, is that all?). :p
Zipper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
What I mean is that most of their anime is a dime a dozen. Nothing special about it. The only reason you'd even know it was a Gonzo anime was because of the LOL GONZO drop in animation quality, bad 3D and unsatisfying endings. The only exceptions are stuff like Gankutsuou, SaiKano, FMP, NHK, maybe Basilisk and Last Exile. But for every good anime they put out, they have like 3 other bad ones that only get recognition because fans like to make fun of them.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Truth be told, I'm not exactly crying tears over this. If any studio had to go, this would be the right one.
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
So we can expect what? Maybe one series a year now.

You know this might be a good thing, because if these guys are only making one or two shows a year, you can bet they will be pretty good. Assuming they didn't get rid of their best talent of course.

Yeah, I think that's the key point there - did Gonzo retained their best talent, or did they just picked and choose who stays and who gets laid off? I guess that'll depend on what the quality of their future projects will be. If it's good, then they might pull it off. If it suffers, then I really doubt that they will reach their goal of being profitable within 5 years because they might not be around much longer if the quality of their shows continue to nosedive.

Still, it's never good for anyone to lose their job, no matter what the circumstances.
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Not sure when this was said, but I remember hearing that Strike Witches was the first anime with individual DVD sales over 10K units since Vandread. This should tell you a little something about how "amazing" Gonzo's productions are received.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Gonzo. Great ideas and concepts, but horrible execution (ex: Romeo X Juliet).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7