• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-03-27]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
Doraemon is too massive to try and bring over here in full force. It would be like trying to also bring over shows like Kochikame, Chibi-Maruko Chan or Sazaesan. Although they did bring over Case Closed, which is massive in itself, as well as One Piece, but those series fall under a different target audience category. Doraemon has been intended for an age group lower than the shonen audience, and trying to market off something of that magnitude I don't think would work, when there is so much competition to begin with.
larinon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
...companies have wizened up and started ...

Seriously, wizened? Really? I think an Inigo Montoya quote would fit perfectly right about now.

Actually, I guess it's somewhat appropriate, however I suspect you really meant "wised."

Inconceivable!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
Just get Stephen Chow to promote Doraemon, since he mentions it on the CJ7 extras.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:37 am Reply with quote
Got some decent chuckles out of most of those cliche responses. To David, the first Answerfan who was griping about the "typical anime romance," I'd suggest taking a look at Eureka seveN if you haven't done so yet. Under its mecha and sci-fi trappings, it's really a love story at heart, and from where I'm sitting, it's one of the best-developed fictional romances I've ever come across. The main character, Renton, starts out with a childlike, head-over-heels infatuation for the strange girl that (literally) falls out of the sky into his life, but he swiftly realizes that forming an actual relationship doesn't exactly work out like that. As the first half of the series progresses, both Renton and Eureka eventually manage to come to grips with their growing feelings for each other, and amazingly enough, by the halfway point of the show (precisely at the halfway point, actually, in a scene I'd have to rank as one of the best I've ever seen), both they and everyone else in the cast realize loud and clear that they were meant for each other. The second half of the show delves into what this realization means for both of them and how their relationship handles some pretty severe ups and downs that the plot throws at them. For my money, at least, the show manages to break just about every "anime romance" cliche that you described.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Evangelion would be just another proto-Gundam lost to the annals of time were it not for all the crazy religious iconography and entire episodes taking place entirely within a whiny teenager's psyche.

I disagree. While I won't argue that Evangelion is some complex treatise on philosophy and existentialism, it's clearly more than a mecha show even without the religious iconography. It certainly examines the psychologial effects of the warfare the characters engage in and the problems youth have communicating a lot better than most of the Gundam programs I've watched, and I'm a big Gundam nut.

I'm also a big Fullmetal Alchemist fan, and can just imagine the tons of hate the first series will recieve from people e-mailing in to talk about just how so superior the manga is and how the first series messed up next week, despite the show being enormously popular. Personally, I like the manga and first series equally, so while I don't see the necessity of doing a direct adaptation of the manga after there was already a series, I'm certainly looking forward to the new one. Maybe I'll deign to write in myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
Thank you whoever mentioned the tsundere cliche. I'm so sick and tired of it being a staple of every freakin' new anime out there. It's not cute, often very annoying, and only serves the purpose of denouncing a strong female with a "real" timidity. On occasion, however, it does work.... like in Toradora (with apologies to Brian)

Also, is there anyone that works for ANN that has actually tried Kodomo no Jikan, or are you required to make it a personal pariah upon employment?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Also, is there anyone that works for ANN that has actually tried Kodomo no Jikan, or are you required to make it a personal pariah upon employment?

Carlo Santos reviewed part of it in a Right Turn Only!! though I can't remember which. If I recall correctly, there was surprisingly little controversy in the talkback thread for that.

EDIT: To clarify, this was the manga, not the anime. But I doubt the manga is any tamer, considering it's the original work.

EDIT AGAIN: Here's the link to the RTO. Actually, the talkback thread was way more heated than I remembered, but it only lasted 5 pages, which is probably why it stuck in my mind. Anyways, this is off topic so I'll shut up now.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
Continuing about that "What! You can still stand?" cliche,
how about that any big explosive cluster-bomb attack wherein the attacker cannot see the target amongst the big explosions, always means that the target is not defeated at all.
If you can't see the target means the target is still OK. Laughing
(You always have to defeat the target mano-a-mano, regardless how big your explosions, so why even waste the effort?)

As for the "controversial elements" to tell a story, there will always be the question of how far does it really, really have to go to convey the message before it crosses the line and becomes just pandering? Neutral
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

As for the "controversial elements" to tell a story, there will always be the question of how far does it really, really have to go to convey the message before it crosses the line and becomes just pandering? Neutral

Truly, I felt that most of the action in Elfen Lied was there for shock and awe more than story elements, obviously there is going to be blood when you have monstrous character like Lucy chopping off limbs but do we really need to see it in all of it's gruesome, 50 gallons of blood detail? (perhaps in a way it shows her monstrosity.... but still there is a thing called overkill)
MackDaddyHart

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised the mech cliche of "I've never seen a mech let alone driven one yet when I get in for the first time I am a total beast at it" wasn't mentioned. Even in shows I like, TTGL and Vandread, it drives me absolutely crazy. At least give them a tough learning curve.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:41 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
For me, this issue always comes up when discussing Quintin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction (because people in my circle of friends simply don't care for anime, the issue of Elfen Lied never comes up*). To wit: To what degree does the language and violence have a legitimate purpose in the movie and to what degree is the language and violence gratuitous?

*Actually, that's not quite true; I had my Mother listen to the opener ("Lilium" by Kumiko Noma). As I fully expected, she enjoyed the track. What I did not anticipate, however, was that she would actually research the series. Shocked I won't go into the details, just suffice it to say that there was a bit of a discussion. Exclamation
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Well, I've seen it, but I don't technically "work" for ANN.
Nina wrote:
This is probably late in coming, but the "mid-season" acid-trip/recap episode in general makes me roll my eyes. When said episode takes an otherwise serious, not-a-panty-shot-in-48-episodes drama into Agent Aika-land, then I grrr. The latest example was in Str.A.In. Great story that wasn't served by that fanservice phantasm episode at all (the one nod to plot continuity could've been done without the extras).
I have to disagree here. The lovely visual titillation and sexy shoujo-ai fanservice in Strain was not well-served by the rushed, convoluted, non-sensical mecha-big-brother-revenge-sentient-dolls storyline at all.

Gee, you'd think somebody who hated tsunderes so much would spell the term right Razz

And oh boy on the FMA question... it's already dominated the conversation in the looking forward to Spring 2009 thread in Anime.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:04 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
*Actually, that's not quite true; I had my Mother listen to the opener ("Lilium" by Kumiko Noma). As I fully expected, she enjoyed the track. What I did not anticipate, however, was that she would actually research the series. Shocked I won't go into the details, just suffice it to say that there was a bit of a discussion. Exclamation

Amusingly, my mother watched Elfen Lied with me and I think she actually enjoyed it.
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:02 am Reply with quote
i thought new Fullmetal Alchemist is new season continuing from last movie and not a remake...

did i miss something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
Some of my other fav cliches:

-Never send a man to do a 14-year old boy's job.

-The only person who can save the world is the/are the angsty introvert teens. (This is why I adored Megas XLR on Cartoon Network back in the day. Perfect send up of this. Chicks dig giant robots!)

-At some point, someone is likely to get consumption (TB) and start coughing up blood.

-No one in Japan has any parents.

-No matter the blows to the head and walls you throw him through, your opponent is only going to get stronger as the fight goes on.

(In Keitaro's defense, the Love Hina manga makes him far less of a milquetoast. By the end of the series, he's pretty much a badarse.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7