• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ponyo Off a Cliff

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I'm glad I bothered to ask about the freaky convention goers now. You got a few giggles out of me for it. I'm also seriously impressed you said my first name right. I'd say only about 5 percent of the people who attempt it pronounce it right. Kudos!

Fun show. Do you think on twitter you'll be announcing what the topics of the next podcast may be so we can ask questions pertaining to them?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Heh, I'm glad I bothered to ask about the freaky convention goers now. You got a few giggles out of me for it. I'm also seriously impressed you said my first name right. I'd say only about 5 percent of the people who attempt it pronounce it right. Kudos!

Fun show. Do you think on twitter you'll be announcing what the topics of the next podcast may be so we can ask questions pertaining to them?

Yeah, in the future we'll announce what some of the topics are and who the guest is when we ask for questions.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for mentioning Otaku Revolution! It's not quite ANN. In fact, my mission was basically to impress you guys.

I think, though, that you should give the Fullmetal Alchemist manga a good, thorough reading, to really get a real bead on the new series. The new series is a more accurate adaptation of Hiromu Arakawa's vision, for better or worse.

They really couldn't have started from where the manga and the original show diverged because there were subtle differences even early on.

However, I do share the opinion that the first was a better series. Especially since, even in Bones' attempt to create a more accurate depiction, the second series has been a bit of a mixed bag.

Edit: By the way, my favorite Miyazaki movies are Spirited Away and Castle of Cagliostro, which bring me into a state of weird dream nostalgia.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Good topics.

Enjoyed this first episode, as well as the previous pilot. It was certainly entertaining and there's good chemistry between the hosts, which is key.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Last edited by SXAniMedia on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Essedus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, in truth, with manga adaptations, there's nothing wrong with deviating from the source per say. I mean, FMA deviated, and it was great, because it only deviated in story, not in style or genre. But then you have trash like Rosario + Vampire, who's manga adaptation was utter garbage. I know the manga is not a masterpiece either, but at least it had a decent plot, good action scenes, and very good character development. The manga is very light on the ecchi, and focuses on love/comedy with some (increasing in R+V2) action scenes. In fact, by the end of volume 5, it's no longer a love-comedy at all. The anime never passes the panty-shots, and didn't evolve in season II either. There was no character development at all, and some very important parts of the manga were changed, on not even mantioned *cough*ghoul*cough*. I think it's fair for fans of the manga to rage in that case, don't you? I mean, it's one thing to deviate from the manga, and give the viewers an epic, well written work in witch you clearly put a lot of heart and effort into, lke FMA. It's quite another to just say,"fudge it, let's just turn the ecchi dial up to 11, and forget any story or development", like Rosario + Vampire.

PS: There are many more examples for both situations, these are just the first 2 that popped into my head.
Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Heh, that was actually very good. I disagree with practically everything you said (Howls > Mononoke and the new FMA is almost-but-not-quite as good as the original after episode 19) but hey, each to their own I suppose.
LeeM77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I actually love the new series of FMA. I was never really able to get into the first series and never really saw the hype. This on the other hand is amazing, i'm thankful it did barrel through the first part of the series because i felt that was too long, drawn out and melodramatic, but starting from episode 15 would have been a bad idea as not everyone does fully know the story. The only thing i'm really worried about with it is the pace at which its churning out episodes. it seems like it wont take too long for them to run out of manga.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Ugh Origin was terrible. Princess Mononoke is my favorite Miyazaki movie though. Howls was a mess, I had trouble sitting though it.

Oh is this the new project we were supposed to be looking out for?
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
i don't see why you guys keep trying to tone things down, the show's more interesting when you act like yourselves. there's already a disclaimer anyway.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Howl was a complete let down for me because I was a fan of Diana Wynne Jones, and had read the original book it was based off of. It's hard not to fall completely in love with the characters in the book, which was why it was disappointing to see that past 30 minutes into the movie Miyazaki no longer used anything else in the book. Such a loss of an otherwise charming creative fantasy story involving parallel dimensions, and Diana's narrative is just a delight to read. I suggest the book to anyone who has a couple hours to blow on a YA book.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Howl is a favorite of mine but only because of the books. I love Diana Wynne Jones and the book was about 20 times better. I do have friends that use Howl's Movings Castle as a movie to make them go to sleep when the have insomnia which I find hilarious. Making good use of what you have I guess.

Ponyo wasn't the best by any means but it was good. It's not so bad that is not worth seeing once. I don't know why Disney released this in theatres it would have had a better straight to DVD release IMO. Miyazaki's characters are starting to look familar now, I could have sworn one of the old ladies was the Witch of the Waste.

I'm going to have to stand behind my favorite Miyazaki movie being My Neighbor Totoro despite how childish and goofy it is.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Saw Ponyo today. Not very subtle on the environmentalist this time around, still a very cute movie. Packed with kids, makes me wish more anime movies would be released here in such a wide showing. I've seen all of Ghibli except for Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamadas, I feel that Whisper of the Heart and Castle in the Sky were the most overall entertaining, one for being a very exceptional slice of a life, the other for being an imaginative steampunk. If only those too could be in theaters now.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Ponyo was alright. Unlike most of Miyazaki's movies, this one definitely more of a kids film. But I think even adults will find it entertaining.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I was meaning to comment on that (Favorite Miyazaki) topic as well earlier. For me, an easy pick, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Though my favorite Ghibli film (non-Miyazaki) would be Whisper of the Heart, which is also my favorite anime film period.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Completely agree with LGW to read the original book by Diana Wynne Jones for Howl's Moving Castle. I found the Howl anime to be a confusing mess and was so disappointed in it because I really wanted to like it.

Re: FMA:Brotherhood, I'm trying to take it with a grain of salt since many of the moving parts from the first series are due to shock or anticipation, and it just doesn't work with the second series. Although I do agree that eps. 1-14 were totally rushed... but then the first half of the first series was a little draggy with filler eps, so I'm not sure which is worse.

Good podcast, and Bamboo was a nice addition. Didn't mess up the whole rapport from the preview episode. Loved the question about the meeting weird forum users. Kinda feel bad for Bamboo with her stalkers.

Looking forward to future podcasts; I love listening to them at work, although sometimes I end up giggling in my cubicle (like about tempest's hair).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6