• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Unfathomable Horrors

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
NO MORE HEROES NO LONGER EXCLUSIVE TO WII

Really?! This is great news, because last semester I played NMH on Wii, but was borrowing it and had always planned to get it, but now that I have the option, I need to decide if the usage of the Wiimote as the cellphone is an awesome enough reason to pick it up for the Wii or if controls that are likely to be more responsive will make it worth picking it up for the 360 for me. Then again, I've only got 3 other games on the Wii and I've twice as many for the 360 and the 360 isn't at my dorm ever because it can't play Gamecube games and there was a certain charm to how you recharged the battery with the wiimote....choice choices! But now at least I have the choice! Unless there are extra features, then I'm getting it on 360.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
In promotion of the launch of the Comic Store on PSP, Sony is giving away various free comics, the ones that may interest the average ANN reader would be the first issue of Transformers: All Hail Megatron, and Astroboy's Movie Adaptation.

Quote:
You must download these from the PSN Store via your PSP. This will not work in Media Go or on a PS3. Make sure you are running firmware 6.20 and have downloaded the PlayStation Comic Reader app from the XMB. You also have to have a PSN account for the region that you want to download from activated on your PSP

The codes I'll post are US only, but you can find other territories codes (as well as other comic store offers) here.

Transformers: All Hail Megatron #1 - EC2N-9HBR-HJD6
Astroboy: Movie Adaptation #1 - FF3N-H7B6-M2JF

Also on the PSN, due to a Thanksgiving sale Fate/Unlimited Codes if $15, down $10 for PSP, and you can own all of the first season of Gunslinger Girl for $13, as each episode is $0.99 in the US Video Store. Both sales end next week.

In more news: Falcom announced plans to bring over their various PSP games, from Legend Of Heroes, Ys 7, to things like Brandish. They also just announced a Dissidia like Ys game, and a Ys III remake for PSP.

Also, Namco Bandai announced a sequel to DragonBall: Origins for release in Japan this February on the DS.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
The Lufia 2 remake definitely intrigues me, though how Maxim went from a knight clad in full plate mail to a leather-wearing dude is beyond me.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
Seeing the comment "If he beats the game, is that considered domestic violence?" in the Kotaku article about the virtual marriage, I've come up with a response, as well as several other jokes/questions:

Only if he cheats.

If he gets divorced, who would get the DS?

If he sells the game, is that considered slavery?

If he lets someone borrow the game, is that considered swinging?

If he lets someone rent the game, is that considered pimping/prostitution?

If he plays another game, is that considered adultery?

Play along at home!
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
The Lufia 2 remake definitely intrigues me, though how Maxim went from a knight clad in full plate mail to a leather-wearing dude is beyond me.

I'd ask the same question myself, sure, but whatever happens to explain that particular fashion sense (or not) probably won't stop me from checking out the remake. On a purely personal (read: egoistical) level I'd prefer to see an improved 2-D port rather than a conversion to 3-D action RPG though. I imagine increased sales are supposed to justify it.
darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
I think we all realize now WHY Japan's population numbers are dropping when they allow THIS sort of thing to happen. What girl (a REAL ONE) is going to even want to look at him after this?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
Why do I feel that wedding was staged to promote the game?

Anyway, Black Friday game deals.

Quote:
but a coldly received Game Boy Color game and a lousy Game Boy Advance game deadened the franchise's once-novel appeal.

I thought the appeal of Lufia is that people who owned an SNES didn't know it was really Lunar, since they didn't have a SEGA CD. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I expect a U.S. publisher to grab it shortly,

I'm still waiting for SQ'ENIX USA to make an official announcement on that Saga remake, so good luck on your wishes, too, buddy.

Primus: What, no DS love for YS III? Crying or Very sad That was my favorite back when it first came out, since it was the only one I was familiar with at the time.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
That article fails to mention Gamestop's crazy deals on used consoles and handhelds, including $60 on a used DS Lite.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Why do I feel that wedding was staged to promote the game?

He openly admitted to it being a publicity stunt to just promote the game and his otaku subculture. I don't see how this promotes anything in a very positive light though. Seems a bit overboard to me even if he does realize he's not truly married to the game character. Although he might as well be now that that's been aired. I agree with the sentiment that his chances of finding a real girl that will accept him have dropped to none.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
I could never stand No More Heroes. The actual levels are okay if also a bit repetitive. The segments in between though are just so brutally boring and pointless though.

Quote:
The game's already made news in Japan for driving some men to ignore their real wives and girlfriends

It's worth noting though that while it's traditionally not due to romantic appeal, men ignoring their girlfriends because of video games is not exactly news. Wink
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:06 am Reply with quote
RPG Maker for DS? Does that mean we will see Yume Nikki DS as well?

(And yet Todd still missed the Phoenix Wright Wiiware announcements!)
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote
^As a regular Siliconeraphile (matty), I was a little surprised, too Razz

Shmup fans, don't forget to grab Mushihime-sama Futari for the 360. It's an import, but region free. If sales preform well enough (I'm still not sure how they'll figure this out other than high sales), then we can expect to see more Cave's 360 games as import-friendly titles.

Or, if importing is not your thing, then there's always Rockin' Android's shmups available.

I'm still eagerly awaiting to see NISA announce La Pucelle: Ragnarok for a N.A. release.

For Wiiware, BIT.TRIP VOID and Harvest Moon: My Littlest Shop were released this week. Very fun and cute games. Actually, My Little Shop is my first Harvest Moon game, so maybe I shouldn't expect much of the same in the other HM games?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:34 am Reply with quote
The more games I see remade like Lufia II the more happy I am that Chrono Trigger DS was only an enhanced port. Rolling Eyes Man, I was really excited about a Lufia II remake until I head how much they were changing it. Oh well, I actually preferred the first Lufia anyway. The story was more enjoyable because you really don't know where it was going. With Lufia II you already knew what was coming Maxim always felt like he was destined to do this, not just thrown into it like with the character from the first game. Plus, I know it's lame, but the sleep music in the first game was so much better than in the second game...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Wow, 'No More Heroes' is finally getting XB360 and PS3 releases?
This is GOOD NEWS.

Well, the reason I say this is because as some know I work for an art college library. We recently started purchasing XB360 games prior to a request from a faculty teaching a course study in game development. This is due to the fact that despite some games still being developed outside the XBOX is a US made system. So you have Europe and "indie" developers as well. Since the higher ups don't know much about video games, this is where I come in as well as students and instructors. The goal was to acquire at least 40 titles to start off the semester. Unfortunately, recommendations we received was less than 20. This included games that wouldn't be available until 2010. So we needed more. So I added to that list what I could acquire and of those titles I wanted 'No More Heroes' to be one we should get. But at the time it was exclusive to Wii. So unless there is a faculty member who requests and has a reason why Wii titles are good for a course study then the library won't invest in them. Same for the PS3. While also exclusive it has some titles worth studying like 'Trico the Last Guardian'. But since that's Sony a port is highly unlikely. So I will be passing along this information.

I never had the chance to play the Lufia series. But this is a whole make over if I ever saw one. Going from rpg to action rpg. Unless Lufia was an action rpg to begin with. But it's worth a look.
Vent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
All of this Sakura Wars stuff and no mention of NIS arbitrarily changing character's names?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3