• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tears To Tiara Sub.DVD part 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...two of the elves sporting modern-day maid outfits...

Does it always have to be maids these days?

Always?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:

Always?

Yes, apparently; though I don't like it any more than you do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but in this case, they're actual, functioning maids in a castle so it's expected. BTW, about the whole thing about difference between maids and humans and the modern looking maid outfits: (small spoiler)spoiler[Elves live longer and weren't bound by a certain curse that humans were bound by. The two elf maids were alive during Arawn's previous life. Elves were (and in some place still are) quite a bit more advanced than humans. Need to remember that the good humans in this series are tribal so they're going to dress differently than the elves or humans in the city.]

Also, we don't get an actual story for the girl in the OP (or the old man for that matter) until towards the end of the series, but it's worth the wait, it's a great part of the story.

I really loved this show, one of the best of the year. The animation was actually quite impressive in some places. During action sequences they did this neat thing where they would animate several layers at once to give the impression that the camera was panning around a moving target. Very dynamic camera work that you don't see often enough.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:18 am Reply with quote
What surprised me about Tears to Tiara was the amount of blood and the particularly good art. It's a very fun show to watch, and doesn't fall into the annoying RPG tropes that fantasy shows tend to have, at least not nearly in the same way that practically all of them do.

This one could have benefited from a dub, as it's the type of show that would receive one well, but the fast release is something to note.

As a side note, it's one of the few anime I've seen that have to do with Arthurian legend and the Roman Empire's occupation.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:

Always?

Yes, apparently; though I don't like it any more than you do.

I was pretty put off by them too, but consoled myself when I decided/realized that the elf characters all (loosely) fit into different folkloric creature categories. So the maids could really be brownies, or house elves, who invisibly keep the house tidy and sometimes cook. Then Llyr is clearly a selkie, spoiler[what with the whole can't-go-back-without-her-sealskin thing], and Rathty seems to have dwarfish tendencies. And Epona could be sort of a gnome...? That's where I lose it, but given the Celtic mythological influence, I feel pretty comfortable deluding myself that Limwris and Erwin are brownies. Very Happy

I also debate whether Morgan's name should be "Morrigan," as in the goddess of war, but clearly I have too much time on my hands.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
There are some "mistakes" in the names, but those are the official spellings (as per game).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
I haven't checked out this title yet, but as Theron pointed out right off the top of his review: the lightning fast turnaround time from Japanese broadcast to NA DVD shelves (two months!) is amazing. It would be lovely if this is the shape of things to come.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I was pretty put off by them too, but consoled myself when I decided/realized that the elf characters all (loosely) fit into different folkloric creature categories. So the maids could really be brownies, or house elves, who invisibly keep the house tidy and sometimes cook.

You have the right idea - Limwris and Ermin are house elves. I think they mention that in the anime, but in the game they definitely refer to themselves as such. There is also a scene from the game that may or may not be in the anime where spoiler[Arawn gives Limwris a new dress, which hurts her feelings badly: she thinks he is dissatisfied with her work since a gift of clothing is the traditional way of dismissing a house elf from their service.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I was pretty put off by them too, but consoled myself when I decided/realized that the elf characters all (loosely) fit into different folkloric creature categories.

Yeah, I had intended to mention this (it also occurred to me that Llyr was supposed to represent a selkie, for instance) but I never got around to it.

Quote:
I also debate whether Morgan's name should be "Morrigan," as in the goddess of war, but clearly I have too much time on my hands.

I presumed it was instead a reference to Morgan Le Fey from Arthurian legend, especially given that a character named Arthur is present.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
TTT actually predates from several sources, including some Celtic names.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
This is probably my second favorite release of the year, right behind Ghost Hound. The animation and music are great. The story lines are captivating, and it has one of the most sympathetic and likable casts I've seen recently. Even many of the "villains" are given a chance to show their true colors and give you reasons to feel for them. And like others have said, it doesn't fall into the normal trappings of video game or RPG based series.

I was only expecting to watch a few episodes when I stuck the first disc in, but sat through the whole thing. This show is great, and I can't recommend it enough.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Yeah, I had intended to mention this (it also occurred to me that Llyr was supposed to represent a selkie, for instance) but I never got around to it.

Fair enough. Smile

Quote:
I presumed it was instead a reference to Morgan Le Fey from Arthurian legend, especially given that a character named Arthur is present.

That was my first thought too, but then when I was looking through my Arthurian and folklore encyclopedias it occurred to me that she really fit the profile of Morrigan better than Morgan le Fay. (For example, Morgan is more of a magical character while Morrigan is specifically a goddess of battle and strife.) As ximpalullaorg pointed out, the names are taken from the game's Romanization, but maybe the mistake (if I'm not totally making this up) was made back with the original RPG. The pronunciation of both names in Japanese could be similar.

Furudanuki wrote:

You have the right idea - Limwris and Ermin are house elves. I think they mention that in the anime, but in the game they definitely refer to themselves as such. There is also a scene from the game that may or may not be in the anime where spoiler[Arawn gives Limwris a new dress, which hurts her feelings badly: she thinks he is dissatisfied with her work since a gift of clothing is the traditional way of dismissing a house elf from their service.]

Whew! I'm not crazy! That scene hasn't been in the anime yet, but it certainly sheds a lot of light on the characters and their apparent maid roles.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:

You have the right idea - Limwris and Ermin are house elves. I think they mention that in the anime, but in the game they definitely refer to themselves as such. There is also a scene from the game that may or may not be in

That scene isn't present in the PS3 version as far as I know (I haven't seen it) and it's not present in the anime either.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I wasn't very interested after reading the review, but after reading this thread I think I'll check it out some time.

Emerje wrote:
BTW, about the whole thing about difference between maids and humans...

That was a funny mistake to make.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Furudanuki wrote:

You have the right idea - Limwris and Ermin are house elves. I think they mention that in the anime, but in the game they definitely refer to themselves as such. There is also a scene from the game that may or may not be in

That scene isn't present in the PS3 version as far as I know (I haven't seen it) and it's not present in the anime either.

I haven't seen the PS3 version either, but I do have the original PC version of the game. The scene I was referring to is in that version, but it a quick check showed that it is in a part that eventually leads into Limwris' first H scene. So I wouldn't be surprised if it did not make the transition to the PS3 version or the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2