• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cowboy Bebop Manga...Is it as bad as people say?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:12 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of CB like most people. It's one of the most popular anime ever. So when I saw the manga boxset for CB, I thought it would really cool to get the Manga too. But after reading a lot of manga review, people don't seem to like it. I think because they're comparing it to the anime version. How would CB compare to other manga. Is it worth geting the boxset which include Cowboy Bebop (3 Volume) + CB Shooting Star (2 Volume) if you're a fan. Is the story/art that bad.
Eternal Perplexity

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:30 am Reply with quote
I was reading the "Shooting Star" addition infront of another manga friend and he said it wasn't real anime cause it was ripped from a show. That's the reason why alot of people dismiss it cause it's based on a great show. Shooting Star is a whole different view on the series and I guess people don't want their Cowboy messed with in any way. I like it personally just because I like it. It is ok though... It's ok not OMG THAT IS LIKE SO COOL AND GREAT... it's ok...
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:04 am Reply with quote
Taking the manga and not comparing it to the anime I'd have to say that Cowboy Bebop is mediocre. It's really just a collection of stories...there's not much to it. I found them pretty boring. Shooting star...same thing, just all around pretty mediocre. But, there are worse series out there to go spending your money on.
Maccers

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:55 am Reply with quote
Its nothing special, but its still a good read, you may want to buy some better manga like hellsing, berserk and Naruto, maybe get it for christmas or your birthday, i dont think its really worth getting it in any other way.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:21 pm Reply with quote
It's the biggest waste of cash I ever spent. Horrible even when not comparing it to the anime.

Pass it up at all costs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
che_guevara

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the reason why it sucks is because we all tend to compare it to the anime. It's inevitable, we can never view them separately. Both Shooting Star and CB are just a bunch of random stories. Some of the stories are OK. I liked the Rolling Stone story with the girl who plays the guitar.
Onmyoji

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Jinchuu wrote:
It's the biggest waste of cash I ever spent. Horrible even when not comparing it to the anime.

Pass it up at all costs.

That's a load of crap. The cowboy bebop manga is actually pretty good and is definately worth a look at if your a true fan of the series. And the artist and story writer for cowboy bebop: shooting star was asked to make the series, They didn't ask to make the series. And shooting star is actually pretty friggin good. and i happen to like the way spike looks, as he looks different but maitains the same level of cool. And the character Scorpion also is very cool and could have made a good episode or two of the anime.

so the message i give to you, "read it and form your own opinion" if your a true fan you won't regret a single penny you spent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
xberserkx

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Personally I liked all three of them, it was really cool because the stories were about completely new bounties and it was pretty interesting. That shooting star crap though is different, they changed how all the characters look which is really horrible. I haven't read shooting star but I can tell it looks really bad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"read it and form your own opinion" if your a true fan you won't regret a single penny you spent.

Quote:
That's a load of crap.

1. That was me, stating my opinion *which is not crap btw*that I did not enjoy the Cowboy Bebop Manga very much at all. Rolling Eyes

2. I think I could care less if you think I am a true fan of Bebop or not. I loved the anime, I hated the manga. I consider myself a true fan and when it comes down to it, It's my opinion that matters, no?!

Last edited by RedvsBlue on Mon May 31, 2004 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
setzer

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
i happened to enjoy it a lot. well that's just me, i tend to like some things people dont Laughing
Shorty22

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I read the 3 manga Bebop set and liked it. I thought it was just more adventures for them and I felt that it was in the same vein as the TV series. To me, it seemed like unanimated events, a sequel-ish thing, if you will. Everything seemed in-character and correct feeling... minus the cool jazzy music, of course. Wink

I didn't bother with the Shooting Star series because I heard that it was an alternate retelling of how they got together and I didn't want to read an alternate verison.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:49 am Reply with quote
Jinchuu wrote:
Quote:
"read it and form your own opinion" if your a true fan you won't regret a single penny you spent.

Quote:
That's a load of crap.

1. That was me, stating my opinion *which is not crap btw*that I did not enjoy the Cowboy Bebop Manga very much at all. Rolling Eyes

2. I think I could care less if you think I am a true fan of Bebop or not. I loved the anime, I hated the manga. I consider myself a true fan and when it comes down to it, It's my opinion that matters, no?!

Out of all the comments though, I thought yours was too limited in scrope and value. I mean a reply like: It's Crap" or "It Roxor" without valid point, don't really show us an open minded reader. Also showing utter disgust with it, doesn't help. I think that's why people are too quickly to dimiss your comment. Just be more thorough with your opinion next time and then people will respect it and undrestand your point.

Well I check it vol 1 today and it wasn't that bad. I mean it's not as good as the anime, but it's not total crap either 3 other series I read. I didn't expect it to follow the anime also, but something new. Perhaps I'll pick up the boxset sometimes during the summer..
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:49 am Reply with quote
Ah, ok. I see your point and indeed, you make a valid one that you do. Gomen Nasai *bows*

Although you already do plan on buying a volume, let me go a little deeper into what I mean to rectify my mistake if nothing else.

The art style is very, well sloppy. Spike looks a bit odd and I also found the "short stories" a little too short. You dont get much of a chance to keep up and they dont flesh out some of the side character's.

Watchign the anime is also a must before you read these because a very vague and frankly boring introduction is givin for all the main character's.

But, pick up the first volume and see for yourself.
Maitai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I liked the 3 volumes. I think I liked the anime better because its easier to follow with all the action and stuff. The manga was like more stories just not animated. I let some friends read it who haven't seen the anime and they liked it also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kanae

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:46 pm Reply with quote
The manga isn't terrible, although it's not the greatest either. The stories are short and shallow, lacking in character development, but they're cute and occasionally very funny. Like most comedy, you get light entertainment out of them, not deep philosophy, and as long as that's what you're looking for, you're not disappointed in them. There are funnier manga out there (Vampire Game, for example, has some hysterical moments) but CB isn't awful. The artwork, again, isn't the greatest I've ever seen, but it isn't terrible. I give the manga a moderate-to-good rating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2