• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Negima!? neo GN 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Why must almost every one dis the spin off? Surprised

I enjoy Neo as much as the normal manga. I mean cut out the fact Neo is based off the re-make anime, and get past the first 4 volumes it's a good give screen time to the side characters type deal.

Any way, it was a good review, I don't agree with it all but it's still good.
Hotaru99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
A lot of people don't like the original very much to start with. Or don't like spin offs in general.

I think the enjoyment of Neo is related to how much you like Negima in general. If you like the original but hate the Anime because of how the ending strayed from the manga, you may not like Neo. If it was ok that it strayed, or you just love the setting and characters in general, at least give volume one a read. Its not as good as the main story, but good enough that at least this fan enjoys it.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
The "real" Negima manga is pretty popular it seems. The new volumes are routinely in the Top 10 of the Best-Seller lists when they're released.
Haiyami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
You know I'd have to say though its funny. The girl's in Negima NEo should actual be middle school girls. But since its mostly fanservice manga its "Oh lets make them highschool girls so its less offending"

Heh.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

I enjoy Neo as much as the normal manga. I mean cut out the fact Neo is based off the re-make anime, and get past the first 4 volumes it's a good give screen time to the side characters type deal.

The fact that it has to be justified by saying if you forget about the fact it's a copy of a copy, and can get past the first 4 volumes which suck, then it gets good is just sad. ANY series that requires you to make justifications like this (see Shuffle for an anime example) and say the old line "just wait it gets better" is almost always a bad sign.

Now why must everyone dis it? Because it sucks. It has horrible plot lines and none of the characters come close to being as interesting as their original counterparts. Maybe because it's also a copy of a copy so to speak being based off of the re-make anime. I mean in science fiction when you make a copy of a copy you basically get a retarded man child who wears oddball things of his head and wears his clothes inside out. That's pretty much this manga series only not as entertaining as the retarded man child. Hell one could almost say this series is a copy of the copy of a retarded man child to begin with. I mean I enjoy the original Negima and I liked Love Hina (the manga) but Akamatsu does not write award winning, dramatic, and serious pieces to begin with. He writes series with off the wall simple comedy and is the king of the nudity steam cover. He writes fluff and while I enjoy most of his stuff I can see it for what it is. Fan service ladden works. Copying them is almost like copying a retarded man child to begin with and then copying that copy......well you get something that might look like this.

Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

Because it's bad. It simply tries to imitate its predecessors without actually understanding what made them popular. Even ignoring the spin-off nature of the series, look at the plot, dialogue, and action. They lack originality and are completely devoid of depth. The original manga at least started giving Negi character growth by the end of the first volume. It wasn't great character growth, but it was a start. This one, we're four volumes in and it's squandering its most interesting characters as fast as it can introduce them.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

This is why your argument fails. This is a review of the 4th volume with some respect to the first 3. The rest of the manga could be Pulitzer-worthy, but it's irrelevant here.

It's things like this that keeps me in awe at how Tenchi Muyo was able to (mostly) prevent adaptation decay despite having like 8,000 different versions.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

Agreed. It aint perfect,but it's definately as humurous as the original. the only difference is that where the original have massive fanservice (which i like) this one dont. Also that neo pactio i found is really cool. and yea the art aint that hot but it's still decent enough cause i saw it's anime spinoff. it's kinda crazy that people go beserk on harem series when it has fanservice and has no fanservice.

I give it B's on all catagorys. It's gt flaws,but it's still a good series and i hope more is included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Agreed. It aint perfect,but it's definately as humurous as the original. the only difference is that where the original have massive fanservice (which i like) this one don't. Also that neo pactio i found is really cool. and yea the art aint that hot but it's still decent enough cause i saw it's anime spinoff. it's kinda crazy that people go beserk on harem series when it has fanservice and has no fanservice.

I give it B's on all catagorys. It's gt flaws,but it's still a good series and i hope more is included.

I disagree on the issue of humor, but that's humor is highly subjective so it's a minor point. However, on the grounds of characterization and plot, Neo fails pathetically compared to pretty much any other iteration of the franchise (excluding the live action, which isn't saying much).
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
well i wouldn't say that. Compared to Mao-chan which is another of akamastu's work,this is quite the improvment. I'm not saying it's better than the original cause it isn't.However it's still a decent series nevertheless. it's a definate must have in my view.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EricDent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I like this manga! It is fun, cute, and though it is not really a "part" of the "real" story it stands on it's own IMO.

Also the so-called "minor" characters that the review mentioned are actually pretty major characters. Because they are the Cheer-trio (who do get some decent screen time in the Negima!? anime).
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
I like this manga! It is fun, cute, and though it is not really a "part" of the "real" story it stands on it's own IMO.

Also the so-called "minor" characters that the review mentioned are actually pretty major characters. Because they are the Cheer-trio (who do get some decent screen time in the Negima!? anime).

Three characters who have one personality between them are not major characters. They have slightly more individual personality in the original manga, but they're far from major characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1