• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
Strange one...
You would have thought Bandai would have any streaming/download rights for the original and second season.
Ether way, they probably would have been better going after K-ON if they wanted to lure in the 'moe-blob' crowd.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Well this is unexpected. It doesn't say how long there will be up for (second season episodes were only on Youtube for a short time and recent Kadokawa simulcasts on CR are also available for a limited time only.
I wonder if they have the dub as well or just the sub version? And whether they will be doing their own subs since the Kadokawa ones for the renewal could be.. interesting at times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
So that means no more Spring anime? Sounds like their announcement was a complete fail.
Zilan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
epic fail Crunchyroll
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
This isn't in lieu of a DVD release from Bandai Entertainment, is it?

Because, if it is, I'd be rather bothered since I'm only interested in spending money on physical media. And, yes, I was fully intending on buying "Endless Eight", preferably in super-expensive "Limited Edition" DVD format (if not BluRay, though I know even Japan hasn't gotten it on BluRay yet).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
So that means no more Spring anime? Sounds like their announcement was a complete fail.

They are still being a bit coy. I think they must still be attempting to get more stuff but are obviously having serious problems.

This is how they in their on site:

"The next title for the week is..."

Implying but not strictly stating that is not the last title announcement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Something I forgot to comment on is "Crunchyroll will also handle download sales and print-on-demand merchandise for the franchise"

"download sales" suggests DTO - which Crunchyroll recently stopped doing.

"print-on-demand" normally refers to books, although I don't know what it would mean here other than perhaps posters or something.

They could possibly mean DVDs but Justin has said in a podcast that this has been tried before and failed, and would conflict with Bandai's business, assuming they are still releasing the DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I really gotta wonder if this affects Bandai in any way. Maybe they'll make some kind of announcement in regards to it?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh, the first four episodes (including Mikuru 00 and in DVD order) are up already. Japanese with english subs, look to be taken straight from the Bandai DVDs.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Disappointment over simulcasts aside, it's a very good thing that Haruhi merchandising rights have a home. With Kadokawa USA closed and Bandai Ent USA now a very small crew, I was wondering if anyone could effectively do anything with that fairly marketable franchise.

It's a new business area for CR, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm also hoping that the Haruhi Suzumiya merchandise will be available at bricks-and-mortar retail stores for those of us who still like to support those places, though I suppose I am rather lucky in that I have a local shop (Anime Stop, Nepean) that sells imported Japanese Haruhi merchandise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Tbh this season looks to be the worst in a long time in terms of quality series availble.
You have Heroman (looks ok), that Night Raid show (looks good) and K-ON season 2. Apart from that I doubt the other shows would pull in enough viewers to recoup translation cost.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
egoist wrote:

Tbh this season looks to be the worst in a long time in terms of quality series availble.
You have Heroman (looks ok), that Night Raid show (looks good) and K-ON season 2. Apart from that I doubt the other shows would pull in enough viewers to recoup translation cost.

I would highly disagree with that. This is the best season in quite awhile in terms of show quality. There is less Moe Blob stuff and more genuinely interesting fare like Angel Beats, Night Raid, Heroman etc As well as MANY others that hold promise if they don't go down the toilet after the first few episodes Maid-sama for example. The few moe shows there are are the cream of the crop(K-ON!!)

Now quality shows never mean a ton of viewers something that companies have wised up to and are no longer just streaming everything(like last season). It's alot harder to make a profit with streams then it is with DVD sales. I would be willing to bet that we will see Funimation license ALOT more shows this season if thier streaming rights are not taken by Crunchyroll because at face value(first episodes and whatnot) this season is the best in awhile.
Sticks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since the first season came out and I already own the DVD set, so other then hearing Crunchyroll will have the second season later this year, I can't say I'm really excited about it.

On the other hand, I like how these companies (Crunchyroll, Bandai) are working together to bring anime out to us. With other companies going out of business or choosing not to advertise in the U.S. anymore (... I'm looking at you Geneon), maybe this could offer a solution of some kind.

So who knows....... Wink
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what the download sales entails. But the print-on-demand merchandise does make sense since I doubt having the series by itself would bring in much money at this point. I think they would need to have some exclusive merchandise (books, artworks, posters, wall scrolls?) though to compete with what's already available elsewhere, in US published goods or the tons more of imported goods.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3