• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nicktoons Streams 5 Dragon Ball Z Kai Clips

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:20 am Reply with quote
You've got to love the old-fashioned Saban-era editing in these clips: Taking out blood, scars, painting over beer white. I'm getting flashbacks. Kai is already censored, but this is ridiculous.

Still, the dub is fairly respectable, for a Funimation dub of DBZ. Colleen Clinkenbeard and Monica Rial are by far the best voices for Gohan and Bulma they've given them. Even voices I was never particularly fond of, like Sean Schemmel as Goku or Chris Sabat as Piccolo have improved somewhat in the clips I've seen from the dub of this.

It's about time Funimation give the fans a respectable DBZ dub.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:30 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure how I feel about the new voices for Gohan and Bulma. I mean I know this is early on, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how Colleen Clinkenbeard and Monica Rial do later on in the series. I think I can grow on Monica Rial's Bulma, but I still prefer the previous VA for Gohan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
You've got to love the old-fashioned Saban-era editing in these clips: Taking out blood, scars, painting over beer white. I'm getting flashbacks. Kai is already censored, but this is ridiculous.

Still, the dub is fairly respectable, for a Funimation dub of DBZ. Colleen Clinkenbeard and Monica Rial are by far the best voices for Gohan and Bulma they've given them. Even voices I was never particularly fond of, like Sean Schemmel as Goku or Chris Sabat as Piccolo have improved somewhat in the clips I've seen from the dub of this.

I knew this would happen, I was just hoping for once this show wasn't heavily censored on a station.

I mean really, DragonBall Kai was never excessively violent and like Dragon Ball Z, was a pretty clean show through out the seires.

I look forward to watching this series through the hopefully uncut Funimation version. If its anything as exceptionally awesome as Dragon Ball Z, then I'll really enjoy this series.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
I must admit, I was pretty skeptical about Monica doing Bulma, but she did very well; for some reason I kept thinking she'd do her Asa voice. Colleen was pretty good also, but I think she'll be much better once Gohan gets older and she can deepen her voice. That said, I do have soft spots for Stephanie Nadolny and Tiffany Vollmer and I probably always will. Other than that, it sounded like the same, good ol' DBZ dub that I love.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maribeasteva2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
Good clips though i wish we could have seen more than from just episode 1.

Like Bulma and Gohan's new voices though you can hear Collen's misao(shin chan) voice sometimes.

Now just waiting for a time date for the first episode. Question
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
Ha Ha, they got Radiz mixed up with Vageta, oh Nick, you punb dranksters.

But nothing objectionable so far, AFIK, the only real noticeable edit seems to be Master Roshi's Beer and in the grand scheme of things, that isn't that bad.

Mind you, I can't mind if DBK did the "Roshi Spit take" or not. Memory's fuzzy.
dxInt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote

Last edited by dxInt on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
Is the animation supposed to be old school looking? Or is that just me?
archer9234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
They use the original DBZ and splice in new animation for KAI. If I remember correctly.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Is the animation supposed to be old school looking? Or is that just me?

You must be new to this "anime" thing if you're making statements like that.

DBZ is over 20 years old. During my time DBZ was on the level with other weekday morning and afternoon cartoons.

Someone with a Bleach icon should know that DBZ was the show that transitioned into the shonen anime we have now (fighting tournaments and unlimited enemy factions included).
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm just happy Bruce Falconer doesn't seem to be involved. I really couldn't stand most of his compositions. His music had a way of draining all the emotion and power out of a scene.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I still think Toei should have reanimated everything and started from the very beginning.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I know DBZ is really old, I have watched some of it on DVD and I was just wondering if they had reanimated it or if they just used the old footage, so it's basically the old footage with some new footage and a lot shorter.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
It's always have been respectable. I am not sure what dub you've listened to though.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Just to let people outside the US know, you can't watch the clips on the Nicktoons site due to Viacom's idiotic geoblocking policy... Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3