• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva Virtual/Real-Life Makeover of Neighborhood Halted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote
So basically the campaign was far too successful. Perhaps they should try taking it nationwide.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:57 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
So basically the campaign was far too successful. Perhaps they should try taking it nationwide.

Yup. They couldn't handle all the Eva otakus. No room.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:17 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

Hakone is a hot springs resort town area.

It's mostly patronized by retired residents of Tokyo, and I can understand why most of the local businesses would not like an influx of otaku tourists.

This isn't like the Lucky Star shrine which had zero tourism before... Hakone has been a local Japanese vacation spot since pre-war times. They don't want a bunch of otaku invading and scaring away their usual clients.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:26 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

Hakone is a hot springs resort town area.

It's mostly patronized by retired residents of Tokyo, and I can understand why most of the local businesses would not like an influx of otaku tourists.

This isn't like the Lucky Star shrine which had zero tourism before... Hakone has been a local Japanese vacation spot since pre-war times. They don't want a bunch of otaku invading and scaring away their usual clients.

It still seems like the same issue as the Haruhi thing, japanese Otaku 'cannot' control themselves.

Or at the least, there are a number of them ruining this particular event for everyone. That is, the jerks parking their cars in private property and whatnot. I mean if the area I was in suddenly started getting flooded by some group and people began parking their cars in the driveways my family uses, I'd probably resort to a little more than just a complaint, I'd probably begin vandalizing their stuff. Razz

Those old japanese people are too soft, wanna send a message to those Otaku? Start slashing tires, keying cars and bashing in windows.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:33 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

It doesn't sound like that was even the problem... it sounds like the town simply didn't have the space for the influx, and people were just kind of 'dumping' their vechiles wherever convienient- regardless of legality. It wasn't 'creep otaku freaking out the regulars', it was 'creepy otaku parked in my driveway and front lawn and now I can't get out of my own house!'

I say, good for them for axing the campain...if this happened stateside, I imagine the company would just 'apologize for the inconveinience' and let local law enforcement deal with it- at least until something got vandalized and they a lawsuit got filed.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
Yet another reason to love otaku. Sounds like they need to hire in Rent-a-kill to beat back the infestation.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
Goddammit, this was such a cool idea. Why do otaku suck so much...?
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
This is why we can't have nice things.

Hakone's a nice little town. Why couldn't these people take a train or bus into Hakone DURING normal daytime hours, instead of pummelling the town at NIGHT with their vehicles? From the times of the website postings, that's what it sounds like happened.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

Or at the least, there are a number of them ruining this particular event for everyone. That is, the jerks parking their cars in private property and whatnot. I mean if the area I was in suddenly started getting flooded by some group and people began parking their cars in the driveways my family uses, I'd probably resort to a little more than just a complaint, I'd probably begin vandalizing their stuff. Razz

Those old japanese people are too soft, wanna send a message to those Otaku? Start slashing tires, keying cars and bashing in windows.
If these are older Japanese, they might have survived the war. Imagine surviving all of that only to be disturbed by smelly otaku. They should have slashed tires imo.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

If these are older Japanese, they might have survived the war. Imagine surviving all of that only to be disturbed by smelly otaku. They should have slashed tires imo.

Agreed whole heartedly.
PMDR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

I say, good for them for axing the campain...if this happened stateside, I imagine the company would just 'apologize for the inconveinience' and let local law enforcement deal with it- at least until something got vandalized and they a lawsuit got filed.

If this happened stateside, there'd probably be parking. It's surprising to hear cars are a problem in Japan. Must not be a train to this resort.

Anyway, this sort of thing is not likely to happen in the US due to the lawsuits that would happen if someone used a real location in an animated film. This is why movies have that disclaimer about not being based on real people, places, or events. It's less hassle to just make up something.

But then again, US animation does not have a history of honoring real places with an animated version. Why bother when an animator can draw a simpler generic building?

Anime has been using real locations and buildings for decades. I can think of several OAVs from the 80s which used a very carefully drawn shot of a building (essentially photo-realistic) only to have that building immediately vaporized. Col. Sanders statues appear for reasons Americans can't understand. And of course tokusatsu films go to great effort to make Gojira's miniature cities look like the real thing. Press reports say building owners lobby Toho to be the next target.

In Japan, it's a fun "look what we can do!" kind of thing.

Here it would be grounds to sue. So instead of photo-realistic buildings, we get those recycled Fred Flintstone backgrounds and settings not identifiable.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we get those recycled Fred Flintstone backgrounds

That happens all the time in Family guy.

But I understand why they'd use real locations in anime. Tourism and nostalgia would be two of them. I've seen plenty of animations and anime, and while I've felt the need to visit Japan someday, that never happened with the US.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Ok as much i am sick of hearing eva stories, THAT is awesome.

remember when this happened with Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and it caused a nationwide panic?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Those poor people...It's so annoying to have people park in your yard. Never mind in hoards. You'd think they'd have the common decency to at least ask, or just find another way to the resort.

v1cious wrote:

remember when this happened with Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and it caused a nationwide panic?

I thought that was promotion for the movie and caused a bomb scare in cities 'cause these random rectangular things with a strange being on them started popping up all over?

Unless something else happened...Though I don't remember it being nationwide. I didn't even hear about it until I stumbled upon it on Wikipedia.
yblees

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I say don't blame the otaku for poor event organisation.
With some cooperation from the town council, they could have designated an out of town parking spot, and bussed the fans in.
Shame it had to be cancelled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2