• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Montreal's Fantasia Film Fest to Premiere Anime Films

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niiica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I am so envious of Canada right now because of the Gintama movie premiere.
spartydragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
niiica wrote:
I am so envious of Canada right now because of the Gintama movie premiere.

Seconded liek whoa. DAMN YOU LUCKY CANADIAN BASTAAAAAAAAAAAARDS!!! Laughing
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
The two movies I was most hoping would show at Fantasia, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and Welcome to the Space Show aren't playing. (Interestingly, FantAsia is showing some completely unrelated British movie called The Disappearance of Alice Creed.)

If I see anything at FantAsia, it'd be Summer Wars but it'll depend on how rich I feel at the end of the month as getting to and from Montreal by Greyhound from Ottawa costs money and I'd have to stay the night in town to be able to make either of the matinee screenings.

Mai Mai Miracle is my favourite anime film of the past decade, but I've already seen it at Ottawa International Animation Festival last October.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
QAQ If it were only closer I'd be willing to drive to Canada to See the Gintama movie. Montreal is too far away. QAQ shh they should have had the festival in Ontario.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:15 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Mai Mai Miracle is my favourite anime film of the past decade, but I've already seen it at Ottawa International Animation Festival last October.

I really want to see Mai Mai Miracle, the trailer looked awesome and the music was so beautiful. I live in the UK so there's pretty much no chance of me making it to this festival because of teh monehz or rather my lack thereof.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
How long does it take to get a U.S. Passport? Darn I wish that they were a bit quicker on these film festival alerts. I'd love to see a yamato movie in an actual theater. I guess I'll have to settle for the starblazers rebirth webcomic for a bit longer.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
If you're a US citizen I don't think you need a passport to go up into Canada. Pretty sure it's an open border?
AceNinja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If you're a US citizen I don't think you need a passport to go up into Canada. Pretty sure it's an open border?

That's a negative. It hasn't been "open" since 9/11. For a long time you needed at least a birth certificate. Since June 2009, birth certificates were no longer accepted, now you need a passport or other WHTI-approved travel document. So, please don't anyone try to cross the border without one, you WILL be disappointed when you are forced by armed soldiers to turn around and go home. ok, hopefully not that dramatic, but they ARE serious about it. Yes, even at the smaller crossing points.

http://www.dhs.gov/files/crossingborders/travelers.shtm

You can get a passport in 2 weeks or less (some times same day!) if you go through a regional passport office and pay the $60 expedite fee. I did not, and it took about 4 weeks to get mine last year.

Passports are good for 10 years, so everyone just get one now, and then there's no need to complain about advance notice for the next extra-national film festival. Wink
spartydragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Not anymore. You need a passport to go to Canada now. It's kinda silly. :/
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
spartydragon wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Not anymore. You need a passport to go to Canada now. It's kinda silly. :/

Not exactly there are other ways to get into Canada from the US without a passport. It's just that a passport is a very straightforward way, and it's useful to have a passport because then you can go other places.
yamiangie wrote:
How long does it take to get a U.S. Passport?

You can ask for expedited service for $60 plus shipping. Currently that service will be about a 2-3 week wait.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1