• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Portmanteau-Related Tomfooligans

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Which one was being simulcasted, for free, on Funimation's official website, day and date with the Japanese TV airing?

I hate to start the thread with this but given that I was paitient enough to watch the simulcast and not resort to fansubs, I think I should mention this. FMA:B's simulcast was not day and date with the Japanese TV airing. The airing was on Sundays and FUNi's episodes would come up on Thursday.

Now, something like Tatami Galaxy, Shiki or a better example, One Piece is accurate.
Quote:
If only there were a way to scourge away all the leechers and leave the subbers and translators intact

I feel more for subbers and translators but I really agree that the video leechers should just be removed from existence.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I kinda glad that this article reaffirmed my hopes in the Bebop adaption. With Watanabe involved, I believe there is a good chance of it being a success and not a piece of trash like Dragonball
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Let's be honest, here. Isn't Shinichiro Watanabe given a title on the live-action Cowboy Bebop movie just to assuage the doubts of the fans of the TV series? Is he really going to get any real say on the movie?

I, too, wish Watanabe would get more anime work. Cowboy Bebop is still my favorite anime of all time, and I had the privledge and honor of getting his autograph back in 2002 at the BAAF. I can't think of anything he's directed that I haven't at least liked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Let's be honest, here. Isn't Shinichiro Watanabe given a title on the live-action Cowboy Bebop movie just to assuage the doubts of the fans of the TV series? Is he really going to get any real say on the movie?

I'd say so. If he's an executive producer, then he is probably on there for name recognition more than anything.

Nice to know that Brian is a fellow Metal Gear nut. Lately, I've been fighting off the urge to play through all the games again. I've lost track of how many times I've played those.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
As far as the Answerfan question goes, I think it's only a problem when material has been obviously stretched or padded out to fill the 13-episode format. Stories should be as long as they need to be, and creators shouldn't try to outstay their welcome. FLCL is a great example of this; there's no way that the level of manic energy could have been sustained for 7 more episodes.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I would totally watch a series called Mezzanine Complex Alpha Destroyer -- a grand military space epic consisting entirely of boobs, explosions, and completely lacking any sense of moderation.

Also, anything with capybaras. I love those little mutants!
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It would be the same if somebody asked me how they could watch Horus: Prince of the Sun in English. There isn't any other way BESIDES fansubs to watch it, and it's unlikely there ever will be.

Are you talking about this?

It's been out on DVD in the UK for years and can be bought very easily and for very little money.
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

As has been mentioned almost every time there's been any news on the development process, Sunrise has script approval and Watanabe's the go-to guy. So, yeah, I think that means he has some real say. Now, whether or not that say is going to produce a good Bebop movie in Hollywood is anyone's guess.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
It was neat reading everyone's thoughts on Satoshi Kon. Every time I tried writing up something on Millennium Actress, I didn't feel like I was getting my emotions across properly, so I'm glad others were able to do it in my place. In the meantime, I'm rewatching all his works in chronological order and blogging about them, which has been really... healing thus far.

Hmm... I hadn't given the OVA/movies/episodes thing much thought. I'll see whether I come up with an answer by this time next week.

Now: before someone else brings it up, a wrinkle in the fansub issue is that if you live in the UK, or Australia, or New Zealand, you couldn't watch Funimation's stream of FMA:Brotherhood thanks to region blocking. But because any fansub you turned to would be in English and thus would (understandably) get a COD from Funimation.

Getting rid of the idea of "regions" once and for all would do a lot towards helping the fight on this issue. But that isn't happening any time soon.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
About the Answerfans, I have a really good answer to that question but I just don't know how to put it into words. The fact that there are a lot of 13 episode series that have come out now, to me, are both a good thing and a bad thing. It's a good thing, because the show doesn't overstay it's welcome. Also, I sometimes think of 13 episode series as a sort of preview. If those 13 episodes did really well, and they're able, maybe 13 more will be made. It's a bad thing, because it says to me that the people (working or creating the show) might not be "with it". They're creating a series for the sake of creating a series. (So far, several 13 episode anime series right now seem to be all just downright silly.) It also tells me, that they (the creators and whatnot) are not willing to put more to a story. An anime doesn't have to be 100 episodes or more long, but sometimes 13 isn't always enough. Some 13 episode anime have done very well. I'm not saying all 13 episode series aren't enough, I'm only saying sometimes they could use more. 13 episode series work for short stories that can end in 13 episodes and not have a cliffhanger (not that there is anything wrong with cliffhangers) or leave you feeling like there could be more. I tend to find 26 episode series to be more satisfying because they don't overstay their welcome, they get to the point, and have an ending. They're also able to play the story out thoroughly, you have more to work with, with 26 episodes. As for OVAs, they're great for one-shot anime, or side-stories (in the case of Slayers) and sometimes they can even be used to provide an ending to an anime that never got finished. (I haven't seen it yet, but I'm told the Samurai X OVA, Reflection, sort of provides an ending for Rurouni Kenshin, only told in flashbacks.) And again, OVAs are great for short stories, like the original Tenchi Muyo OVAs. That's what I wanted to say, I hope it makes sense. I don't know whether to send this in as an answer, but seeing as I already posted it in the thread, maybe not. Question
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

As has been mentioned almost every time there's been any news on the development process, Sunrise has script approval and Watanabe's the go-to guy. So, yeah, I think that means he has some real say. Now, whether or not that say is going to produce a good Bebop movie in Hollywood is anyone's guess.

It's said they have script approval, however, that could be merely an ornamental courtesy. You think Sunrise is going to look at a script for this and go, "Oh no, this is all wrong" and then the Hollywood studio is going to say, "Okay, fine, we'll fix it." Give me a break. Sunrise would probably shut their mouths to begin with, out of fear of pissing off Hollywood and burning bridges, and then be really passive-aggressive in interviews later when the movie turns out to be crap. The arrogant Hollywood executives would probably just dismiss any objections as "advice", and do things their way, anyway. This whole partnership with Watanabe feels like lip service to me.

I'd feel a lot better if I heard more about the process about making this film. We haven't heard much more than "It's being made." Part of me still wants it to crash before take off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote

I don't really have anything important to add to all this, except that those capybaras look like the wumps from that book The Wump World. o0o
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that's what fansubs are for! It's for unlicensable niche series and older series that companies has passed over. It's for shows we'd never see by other means.

Sometimes fansubs might be the only way to get a series that isn't available, even in Japan! Classic 70's shoujo anime Candy Candy hasn't been seen in Japan for who knows how long, but the whole series is fansubbed.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Now: before someone else brings it up, a wrinkle in the fansub issue is that if you live in the UK, or Australia, or New Zealand, you couldn't watch Funimation's stream of FMA:Brotherhood thanks to region blocking. But because any fansub you turned to would be in English and thus would (understandably) get a COD from Funimation.

Getting rid of the idea of "regions" once and for all would do a lot towards helping the fight on this issue. But that isn't happening any time soon.

And I wonder what you have been reading and following as why would someone from the UK, or Australia, or New Zealand when you could watch them legally in their respective regions.

Truly FMA:Brotherhood was a test for a near worldwide, near simultaneous release. To excuse fansubs even with that happening is madness.

Site for UK: http://www.manga.co.uk/

Site for Australia and New Zealand: http://www.madman.com.au/actions/video.do?method=home

And where did I find this information? anime#10216

There is so much information that is being refused to be seen.

So yes if there was fansubs in those regions they would be getting COD letters perhaps from more than just Funimation. Because it was there.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Truly FMA:Brotherhood was a test for a near worldwide, near simultaneous release. To excuse fansubs even with that happening is madness.

D'oh!! Embarassed Bad example, I completely forgot that FMA:Brotherhood was the one that got the entire world simulcasting it. I mean, it makes sense, if there was any series guaranteed to get an audience, it was that one.

There have been other series that hit on that problem, but you are absolutely right that FMA:Brotherhood is not one of them.

And I'm not "excusing" them, I'm saying that regions can cause difficulties in some situations, and I feel the pain of those involved. The internet really problemitizes things. Take a hypothetical example: if a show is available in America but not in the UK, a fansubbing group whose members are in the UK might release the series, but since it could just as easily be downloaded by anyone in the world, including America, American companies will want to shut it down, and with good reason. But meanwhile fans in the UK still wouldn't be able to get it, even in fansubs.

Hopefully more and more series will get the chance to be simulcasted across multiple regions and we can get rid of this snag in the system. That's all I'm saying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11