• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Samurai Champs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and, of course, the annual fighting games.

I'm just wondering why Namdai hasn't done collections or VC ports of the S Famicom and Megadrive games yet.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
New Vegas is out.

No other game matters right now.

You cannot deny this being true.
Raja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
And in one stroke, my resolve to not buy a 3DS dissolves.

If they don't release Prof. Layton VS Gyakuten Saiban in the US, I will be sad...because I'll have to buy a Japanese 3DS.

(New Vegas? Don't care, actually...)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'd love to give Sengoku Basra a chance, but it's dub-only, right? Can't say I've ever been that enthusiastic about the dubbing in any of the Dynasty/Samurai Warrior games in general. And if SB is dub-only, I'll either stick with DW6 for now or just wait till SB goes down to $20 or less.

And as pretty as the first Naruto game was, and as cool as the second one looks to be, I'm afraid my love for the series died along with the manga's ability to end itself. Congrats if you've stuck with the franchise to this point.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote
Raja wrote:

If they don't release Prof. Layton VS Gyakuten Saiban in the US, I will be sad...because I'll have to buy a Japanese 3DS.

Have they confirmed the 3DS will be region locked? Becasue the DS isn't... (only DSi games are)
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
New Vegas is out.

CENSORED

You cannot deny this being true.

I agree with the uncensored parts of this statement.
I can't believe Fallout: New Vegas didn't get a mention. Has Todd returned to not mentioning Western titles anymore? I thought we'd gotten over that...
Though I did pick up Time Crisis: Razing Storm, I dare say it'll be a while before I actually play it, Move controller with pistol attachment and all.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:47 am Reply with quote
Todd can talk about western games when he feels like it or when it interests him. He's not required to talk about them. I don't think he's a Bethesda guy anyway.

For the record I'm about 6 hours in to New Vegas and while I'm enjoying the crap out of it precisely because it is more of the same I wish it were even a little eensy bit different from Fallout 3 in terms of aesthetic. I'm not on the Strip yet (exploring Vault 22 right now) but the whole "bombed-out desert followed by ruined minor settlement followed by dank industrial sewer/dungeon/prison" thing does get tired after a while. That they're using mostly the same texture assets from the last one only adds to the "I'm just replaying Fallout 3 with slightly different objectives" feeling.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Raja wrote:

Have they confirmed the 3DS will be region locked? Becasue the DS isn't... (only DSi games are)

I heard it actually WILL be this time around. Maybe trying to combat international piracy this time?

Ugh so many games... I'm only focusing on Limited Editions right now, so my next purchause will be Ys: Oath in Felghana, which will be out in 2 weeks!
Temuthril

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:25 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I heard it actually WILL be this time around. Maybe trying to combat international piracy this time?
Combatting piracy by making legitimate importers unable to play games sounds sort of odd.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:25 am Reply with quote
Although I haven't played the game, I found the comments on Sonic 4 interesting. When it comes to long running series like this, I've always thought the inherent contradiction in fan's calls to go back to the series' roots is that those early games we all remember so fondly were so memorable because they were new. Returning to old-school sonic mechanics and gameplay will undoubtedly produce something superior to the god-awful crap we've been getting for the last few years, but I doubt it's going to be the manna from heaven that hardcore fans are expecting.

I reiterate my earlier statement that Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney is the greatest thing ever conceived of by human minds. Although now that I think about it, combining Professor Layton with pretty much anything is a good idea in my book.

(Dear Nintendo: Layton as a playable character in the next Smash Bros. game. Make it happen)
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:15 am Reply with quote
Lol, I think anyone who gets killed by Steve, for example, would end up having a post-traumatic death disorder attack the next time they encounter Steve.

That, or a roaring rampage of revenge.

Point in point, it's an awesome idea.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Todd can talk about western games when he feels like it or when it interests him. He's not required to talk about them. I don't think he's a Bethesda guy anyway.

For the record I'm about 6 hours in to New Vegas and while I'm enjoying the crap out of it precisely because it is more of the same I wish it were even a little eensy bit different from Fallout 3 in terms of aesthetic. I'm not on the Strip yet (exploring Vault 22 right now) but the whole "bombed-out desert followed by ruined minor settlement followed by dank industrial sewer/dungeon/prison" thing does get tired after a while. That they're using mostly the same texture assets from the last one only adds to the "I'm just replaying Fallout 3 with slightly different objectives" feeling.

Yes, I've spoken out about that myself. That's why I'm still wary about getting this game: there's nothing but dirt!

I'd like to try the new Hard mode, though, with the added pressure of actually trying to survive in such a desolate wasteland. But I wish this option was in the original game as well.

Plus, I have this weird fascination to watch my character grow up into adulthood, to create my character's backstory so to speak; blame Dragon Age Origins for that.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't really call Vanquish any more Western style than, say, Resident Evil. The West rarely has outrageous ideas like Sam's power sliding and the Japanese have yet to be topped in terms of over-the-top action.

I'm actually not all that excited for New Vegas as it seems there's no big changes in terms of gameplay for the title. Plus Obsidian has had a bad reputation with buggy titles.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
Fallout never clicked for me. The depth is cool but all the glitches, suicidal AI, and the constant need to find ammo during the early stages of the game always killed it for me. Lucky to have rented a copy but I'm getting the same vibe with Vegas. And all that walking! Gah... plus I never liked the Vats system or whatever its called. I just wanna shoot a guy in the head in real time like other FPS. Do I really need to level up my gun skills to shot someone in the face from a distance? Hopefully Rage will have what I'm looking for. Borderlands was okay but after a while, I get tired of all the treasurer hunting.

Vanquish looked fun. I might download the demo now after seeing videos of the game. Also might pick up Z.H.P. And yeah for Prinny! Hopefully we'll have better jump controls in this game. Ghost n Goblin games are hard, but not because of poor jumping mechanics. That's what made Prinny as difficult as it was.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
Not to mention the VATS eventually makes everything too easy to kill.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4