• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Clever/Intelligent Character Tourney Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote
Oh great. After championing Mr. X (writing the guide, providing the picture, I think I even nominated him), I then dismissed him on the basis of Naruto being popular and well-known. What happens? Mr. X is currently beating Shikamaru by four votes to three, and one of those votes listed the guide - the one I wrote - as being a factor.

So this is irony, huh? Oh flugger.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:29 am Reply with quote
Oops, the guide link went 404 again.. Sad
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:42 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: L, Death Note

Reasons: Because he's L. At this point in the tournament, that is reason enough for me.

Group A-2
Voting for: Jummy Kudo/Conan Edogawa, Case Closed/Detective Conan

Reasons: Because I've never been completely convinced that Yuuko fits this tournament. I don't really find her intelligent as much as I find her knowledgeable. She's not stupid, but I don't think the fact that she knows more about the supernatural world than Watanuki really makes her clever.

Group A-3
Voting for: Yang Wen-Li, Legend of the Galactic Heroes franchise

Reasons: Guide.

Group A-4
Voting for: Choji Suitengu, Speed Grapher

Group A-5
Voting for: Makubex, Getbackers

Group A-6
Voting for: Urumi Kanzaki, Great Teacher Onizuka

Group A-7
Voting for: Eyes Rutherford, Spiral

Group A-8
Voting for: Near, Death Note

Reasons: Even though I really don't like Near, I have to give him credit for intelligence and it sounds like he deserves to win this match.

Group A-9
Voting for: Char Aznable/Casval Rem Daikun, UC-related Gundam titles

Reasons: Minoru is smart, but I don't find him to be anything special.

Group A-10

Voting for: Ayumu Narumi, Spiral

Group A-11
Voting for: Ryoko Uchida, Noein

Reasons: I love Ami, but I don't think she's quite at the level of some of the other competitors, and the guide suggests to me that Ryoko is one of those.

Group A-12
Voting for: Yurika Misumaru, Martian Successor Nadesico

Group A-13
Voting for: Shuurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku

Reasons: This one seems pretty close, so I'm going to go with the one whom I am familiar with, and also the one who uses her cleverness for good.

Group A-14
Voting for: Autor, Princess Tutu

Group A-15
Voting for: Miria, Claymore

Group A-16
Voting for: Shikamaru Nara, Naruto

Reasons: The fact that he is one of the seeds suggests that he is quite clever/intelligent, though I don't know that the guide does a good job of demonstrating this (I did consider voting the other way).
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
L, Death Note
vs.
Dr. Kosaku Tokita, Paprika

L because he is a much better choice than most other contestants.

Group A-2
Jummy Kudo/Conan Edogawa, Case Closed/Detective Conan
vs.
Yuko Ichihara, xxxHOLiC

Jimmy Kudo gets my vote here. I am familiar with both, however I still think Jimmys cleaverness and quick wittedness, combined with his intelect help him solve cases that elude other detectives.

Group A-3
Kazundo Gouda, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig
vs.
Yang Wen-Li, Legend of the Galactic Heroes franchise

Kazundo Gohda gets the vote due to familiarity here from me.

Group A-4
Yuko Amasawa/Isako, Dennō Coil
vs.
Choji Suitengu, Speed Grapher

Suitengou gets my vote due to familiarity here as well. Sure, he did manage to plot lots in a complex big-picture plan sort of way that elude most people, so it isn't like he doesn't deserve to be here either.

Group A-5
Rin Kobayashi, Please Save My Earth
vs.
Makubex, Getbackers

Makubex should do well, he was a genius and was able to think ahead many moves to get the things he wanted to happen to happen. Clearly scary in his intelligence.

Group A-6
Urumi Kanzaki, Great Teacher Onizuka
vs.
Shima Katase, Stellvia

Urumi Kanazaki gets my vote here, and I hope enough have seen this show to vote for her as well. She wasn't only super intelligent and far ahead of her class, but smart in a street smart way as well, and able to pull off elaborate schemes with her cleverness as well.

Group A-7
Eyes Rutherford, Spiral
vs.
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise

Either choice here would be good, but I am going to vote for Motoko Kusanagi. I will be voting for a Spiral character later, this one wasn't the most memorable from that show for me, and Motoko has a kind of intelligence that is rare and welcome, one I want to vote for.

Group A-8
Near, Death Note
vs.
Alex Rowe, Last Exile

Near gets my vote here. I am familiar with both characters, and I can't see Alex being most intelligent or clever.

Group A-9
Minoru Kokobunji, Chobits
vs.
Char Aznable/Casval Rem Daikun, UC-related Gundam titles

Minorou gets my vote here. He is a child genious, both in his acedemic studies, and in being able to build cutting edge technology, but also in how the world works.

Group A-10
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin franchise
vs.
Ayumu Narumi, Spiral

Ayumu Narumi deserves to go far, he was incredibly intelligent and the whole show is very smart, (minus the end Rolling Eyes ) with thoughts I'd never think and found fascinating to watch the twists as he planned out several moves ahead of his very intelligent enemies.

Group A-11
Amy Mizuno (aka Sailor Mercury), Sailor Moon
vs.
Ryoko Uchida, Noein

Ryoko Uchida gets my vote here. I am familiar with her and she really did demonstrate super intelligence and an ability to catch onto things quickly and extrapolate new information into her framework very quickly.

Group A-12
Yurika Misumaru, Martian Successor Nadesico
vs.
Ichigo Morino, Please Teacher!

Ichigo Morino gets my vote for no reason (other than I like the name Ichigo), it was a guess, I am unfamiliar with both.

Group A-13
Shuurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku
vs.
Dewey Novak, Eureka Seven

I will vote for Shuurei Kou/Hong as I have seen it's competition and didn't feel that Dewey was worthy. It's more a vote against him.

Group A-14
Gilbert Durandal, Gundam SEED Destiny
vs.
Autor, Princess Tutu

Autor gets my vote, I am familiar with him, thought he did demonstrate intelligence beyond those around him and his knowledge helped the story plot.

Group A-15
Miria, Claymore
vs.
Yukino Miyazawa, His and Her Circumstances (aka Kare Kano)

Yukino Miyazawa gets my vote here. She really did demonstate a lot of intelligence in her school scores, and her cleverness in how she hid herself and promoted what she wanted others to see. She has intelligence and cleverness oozing from her, but I don't see her winning the next round unless Shikamaru losses...which will baffle me.

Group A-16
Mr. X, Argento Soma
vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto

Shikamaru should be winning this handily, I am floored people aren't voting for him based on the show he is in. Despite what you think of the show, he demonstrated abundant intelligence and cleverness, his tactical skill is nearly flawless in plotting out hundreds of moves in advance to be able to defeat his enimies and because of this, he is often chosen as a squad leader.
guet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
L, Death Note
vs.

Voting for: L

Reason: The guy is a genius, going to save my stronger reasons for the later rounds. Wink

Group A-2
Jimmy Kudo/Conan Edogawa, Case Closed/Detective Conan
vs.
Yuko Ichihara, xxxHOLiC

Voting for: Jimmy Kudo/Conan Edogawa

Reason: Solving mysteries does take intelligence and cleverness.

Reason:
Group A-3
Kazundo Gouda, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig
vs.

Voting for: Kazundo Gouda

Reason: Gouda is a master minipulator, and he is not above using any tactics to reach his goals.

Group A-4
Yuko Amasawa/Isako, Dennō Coil
vs.

Voting for: Choji Suitengu

Reason: As someone else mentioned during the nomination process, the guy has enough smarts to blackmail, and otherwise control the biggest and most influential execs, politicians, and other people of great power.

Group A-5
Rin Kobayashi, Please Save My Earth
vs.
Makubex, Getbackers

Voting for: Makubex, Getbackers

Reason: This one is a coin flip for me.

Group A-6
Urumi Kanzaki, Great Teacher Onizuka
vs.
Shima Katase, Stellvia

Voting for: Urumi Kanzaki

Reason: She is one of the most intelligent people in the enitre group in my opinion.

Group A-7
Eyes Rutherford, Spiral
vs.

Voting for: Motoko Kusanagi

Reason: Computer and leadership skills.

Group A-8
Near, Death Note
vs.
Alex Rowe, Last Exile

Voting for: Alex Rowe (changed)

Reason: After giving some thought to others arguments, I gotta say that Near does not impress me that much. I always felt that in the anime spoiler[ Near only beat Light because of three things.

First, L (who in my mind is the one who truly deserves the credit for taking down one of the biggest serial killers in all of anime) was smart enough to plan for his own death, leave behined all the clues needed for the kira case, and really be the one who did most of the detective work.

Second, Light got too comfortable when L was defeated, and also made the mistake of taking the power of Kira and giving it to others not as calculating as he was. Had it been Light Vs Near instead of Light+3 Vs. Near and Mello I think things would have played out a bit different.

Finally Mello gave Near the big assist, and really I don't think that Near deserves more credit than him.

Taking Light's defeat out of the picture I don't find Near all that deserving of moving on, and so my vote is changed.]

On the other hand, Alex's intelligence is arguably more subtle, but his leadership and tactical skill speak for themselves.

Group A-9
Minoru Kokobunji, Chobits
vs.

Voting for: Char Aznable/Casval Rem Daikun

Reason: Guide, and others comments.

Group A-10
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin franchise
vs.
Ayumu Narumi, Spiral

Voting for: Kenshin Himura

Reason: Going with the one I know.

Vote Change: Possible

Group A-11
Amy Mizuno (aka Sailor Mercury), Sailor Moon
vs.
Ryoko Uchida, Noein

Voting for: Amy Mizuno (aka Sailor Mercury)

Reason: I've seen Noein fairly recently, and I don't even remember Ryoko. She must not have left much of an impression on me.

Group A-12
Yurika Misumaru, Martian Successor Nadesico
vs.

Voting for: Yurika Misumaru

Reason: Tactics, leadership, quick to act when needed.

Group A-13
Shuurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku
vs.

Voting for: Dewey Novak

Reason: Going with the one I know.

Vote change: Possible

Group A-14
Gilbert Durandal, Gundam SEED Destiny
vs.
Autor, Princess Tutu

Voting for: Autor

Reason: Durandal's "master plan" was weak, and he does not even make logical choices during the series.

Group A-15
Miria, Claymore
vs.
Yukino Miyazawa, His and Her Circumstances (aka Kare Kano)

Voting for: Miria

Reason: She has the natural leadership abilities, a thirst for the truth, and is praised by several of her comrades for her ability to make good decisions.

Group A-16
Mr. X, Argento Soma
vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto

Voting for: Shikamaru Nara

Reason: I'm not the worlds biggest Naruto fan, but even I know that Shikamaru shows more intelligence than most of the characters this round. He is no where near the strongest fighter, but because of his brains, he is able to defeat those stronger than him, and also is able to lead a group that has never worked as a team before.

Last edited by guet on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:15 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
L, Death Note vs.

Voting For: L
Reason: Although we are calling this the Clever/Intelligent Tournament, I put much more weight on the clever aspect, and Dr. Tokita isn't very clever.
Possibility of Change: Not much.

Group A-2
Jummy Kudo/Conan Edogawa, Case Closed/Detective Conan vs.
Yuko Ichihara, xxxHOLiC

Voting For: Jimmy
Reason: Haven't seen either series, so I'm going on the guide here, but I give the edge to him because he helps somebody who doesn't know they are being helped, whereas Yuko helps people who want help.
Possibility of Change: Possible

Group A-3
Kazundo Gouda, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig vs.

Voting For: Yang
Reason: Even though I've seen GITS and not LotGH, based on the guide, I prefer his style of guile. (I'm a poet and I didn't even know it)
Possibility of Change: Perhaps

Group A-4
Yuko Amasawa/Isako, Dennō Coil vs.

Voting For: Suitengu
Reason: Character development spoilers lie ahead. spoiler[Suitengu is the complete package. He has battlefield presence and is a top tactician in that regard. Before he got his powers, he fought in a mercenary army to pay off a debt owed by his family, and he is the only member from his, err graduating class, to survive to the end of his tour. Then once he gets his powers, he breaks into the crime racket on the bottom floor and expands his power to the point that the head of a major corporation notices his charisma and makes a deal with him. ] From that point on it is a systematic process whereby he collects blackmail information on, or tempts with promises of power most of Japan's government to get them under his thumb. Then he seizes control of the corporation and we find out what his true plan was all along. spoiler[He was orchestrating the collapse of the Japanese economy from the very beginning, and he succeeds too.] I consider the length of time required to put all the pieces in place much more clever than anything a hacker could ever do. (That's why the Count of Monte Cristo has my vote too)
Possibility of Change: My mother told me not to say this, but... NEVER

Group A-5
Rin Kobayashi, Please Save My Earth vs.
Makubex, Getbackers

Voting For: Makubex
Reason: Not going to lie, just supporting my bracket (which was chosen randomly anyway) on this one, neither of the guide entries were compelling.
Possibility of Change: Please

Group A-6
Urumi Kanzaki, Great Teacher Onizuka vs.
Shima Katase, Stellvia

Voting For: Kanzaki
Reason: Looking at the guide, the only thing Shima has going for her is that she is smart for her age. Well, Kanzaki is smarter, and she puts her mind to devious trickery and manipulation.
Possibility of Change: Not Likely

Group A-7
Eyes Rutherford, Spiral vs.

Voting For: Major
Reason: She's a Jill of all trades. (Related to ass-whoopage anyway.)
Possibility of Change: Probably not

Group A-8
Near, Death Note vs.
Alex Rowe, Last Exile

Voting For: Near
Reason: This one is against my bracket, but I think Near sounds cooler than Rowe.
Possibility of Change: Exists

Group A-9
Minoru Kokobunji, Chobits vs.

Voting For: Char
Reason: Going against my bracket again, but I like Char's type of cleverness (on the battlefield) better than being good with computers, even if the computers in question are anime babes.
Possibility of Change: Probably not.

Group A-10
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin franchise vs.
Ayumu Narumi, Spiral

Voting For: Kenshin
Reason: Tony K. made me.
Possibility of Change: Likely

Group A-11
Amy Mizuno (aka Sailor Mercury), Sailor Moon vs.
Ryoko Uchida, Noein

Voting For: Ryoko
Reason: Salior Mercury's entry didn't sway me, and my bracket says Ryoko, so Ryoko

Group A-12
Yurika Misumaru, Martian Successor Nadesico vs.

Voting For: Yurika
Reason: Tacticians for the win.

Group A-13
Shuurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku vs.

Voting For: Dewey Novak
Reason: Strategists for the win.

Group A-14
Gilbert Durandal, Gundam SEED Destiny vs.
Autor, Princess Tutu

Voting For: Durandal
Reason: Military might every time. (Plus, Durandal is a powerful weapon in Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, I think it's the most powerful gun.)

Group A-15
Miria, Claymore vs.
Yukino Miyazawa, His and Her Circumstances(aka Kare Kano)

Voting For: Yukino
Reason: Normally I'd go with the battlefield person, but the same rules don't apply when you're fighting with swords for some reason.
Possibility of Change:

Group A-16
Mr. X, Argento Soma vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto

Voting For: Shikamaru
Reason: Because of the whole, "promotion despite losing because he was really smart and tactically sound" bit from the guide.
Possibility of Change: maybe
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
L, Death Note vs.

Reason: L rocks, and while I still haven't seen Paprika, I think he easily wins over most characters.
Possibility of Change: None. L rocks.

Group A-2
Yuko Ichihara, xxxHOLiC

Voting For: Conan
Reason: I only know him, but he surely rocks, for similar reasons as L. They both have weird ways of thinking.
Possibility of Change: None, since I am not going to watch xxxHolic in quite some time.

Group A-3

Voting For: Kazundo Gohda
Reason: I don't think Yang Wenli is really impressive, since LoGH has rather ridiculous "strategies". So I go with the other guy!
Possibility of Change: If strategies get less easy to see through in LoGH, very high.

Group A-4

Voting For: Yuko Amasawa/Isako
Reason: Don't know either, threw a coin.
Possibility of Change: As I have seen neither, none.

Group A-5
Makubex, Getbackers

Voting For: Rin Kobayashi
Reason: See A-4
Possibility of Change: See A-4

Group A-6
Shima Katase, Stellvia

Voting For: Urumi Kanzaki
Reason: Having seen little of both series, I tend to say Urumi.
Possibility of Change: High if I continue both series.

Group A-7

Voting For: Motoko Kusanagi
Reason: Haven't seen Spiral, and I sincerely hope the Major didn't change a lot from the movie to SAC.
Possibility of Change: None.

Group A-8
Near, Death Note vs.
Alex Rowe, Last Exile

Voting For: Near
Reason: I'm really sorry to say this, because I like Alex very much as a character, but Near totally outsmarts him. Still, Alex, you rock (Especially in the last episode. Totally epic moment.)!

Group A-9

Voting For: Char Aznable
Reason: I totally agree with dtm42 here. Minoru might be better in theoretical stuff, but Char rules in inter-galactical wars.

Group A-10
Ayumu Narumi, Spiral

Voting For: Kenshin Himura
Reason: I heard samurai need not only physical strength, but also intelligence and willpower. Just joking Smile Having seen neither series, I chose the character I like better.

Group A-11
Ryoko Uchida, Noein

Voting For: Ryoko Uchida
Reason: I trust Noein to have better-written characters than Sailor Moon. That includes intelligence.

Group A-12

Voting For: Yurika Misumaru
Reason: I don't even remember that one character from Onegai Teacher, so she can't be that intelligent, right? ^^

Group A-13

Voting For: Dewey Nowak
Reason: That's what an evil mastermind should be like. He's even good at politics!

Group A-14
Autor, Princess Tutu

Voting For: Autor
Reason: If Gundam Seed Destiny has as intelligent characters as Gundam Seed, then I clearly vote for something else.

Group A-15
Miria, Claymore vs.

Voting For: Yukino Miyazawa
Reason: While she can't swing a sword (I guess), she appears to be more intelligent than Mirja. Mirja probably can't even read or write. To her defense, I think very few people can do this in the Claymore world.

Group A-16
Mr. X, Argento Soma vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto

Voting For: Mr. X
Reason: Threw a coin.

Last edited by Labbes on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
What the heck?! Putting a character like Kenshin, a humble wandering swordsman who's only doing anything at all because he was passing through at the time, against a kid who supposedly solves mysteries and professes to be some self-proclaimed super-sleuth?

I find this to be a completely unfair and unwarranted matchup. The Kenshin franchise isn't focused on battle of wits, so much as Kenshin is some clever tactical strategist or whatever the hell you're putting him in here for.

Despite his actions and beliefs, Kenshin is actually a very simple person. Ever since the day Hiko found him to the day he left to join the Imperialists, Kenshin fought based on those naïve, childish beliefs. And even Hiko called him an idiot for leaving and fighting based on these when he came to learn the final technique during Kyoto.

Kenshin is cunning, but it's not a matter of wits, or even intelligence. He fights because his personality has been molded to believe certain things. The whole analyzing and Hiten Mitsurugi thing is a product of training, but he puts his own twist on it. The majority of his drive, though, is based on those beliefs of living, protecting, etc. This is NOT the same as logic. He fights as Kenshin to protect people and instill the tranquility he fought for during Bakumatsu. Hitokiri Battousai is the "analyzing, kill first, no questions ever" persona that you should've made an argument for.

But like I mentioned, his fighting beliefs aren't really supported by any kind of "duty," so the whole thing is tainted anyway, hence the uselessness of really trying to define him as being truly "logical" as compared to some of these other characters.

You think Kenshin would have any [expletive] chance in an even playing field against the likes of L, Lelouch, or any of these brainiacs? Get real! You might as well have left him out in the first place since he was doomed from the start. Now he's going to get whooped by a landslide of votes because whatever "geniuses" that should've entered themselves in this thing didn't do the proper research to determine that Kenshin wasn't even a viable choice.

Thank you (plural). You've (pl.) embarrassed and sullied the franchise of Rurouni Kenshin now because you (pl.) mistook his cunning for logic, and now this game is going to make Kenshin look downright STUPID because you (pl.) had some misguided notion that he even had a chance...

This tourney sucks bollocks.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
Wow, Tony K., did you doff the meds this morning? Or take too many? Wink That was merciless.

I agree that Kenshin is a RIDICULOUS choice for a competitor here, (as I said, Vash the Stampede is the same archetype and has an IQ in the quadruples and HE doesn't even belong on the bracket.)

...but the tourney doesn't suck bollocks. I think some people are making some silly choices (just because Noein and Argentosoma are "smarter" shows doesn't mean the characters are, and saying "I'm only familiar with this," or "I hate that show" is stupid, come on!) but there's always room to make arguments in a few days.

Quell thy inner fanboy. We all love Kenshin even if he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer (and some people...think he is? He has nothing in common with these other characters except MAYBE Miria and that's a stretch.)
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Transcript of 'Happy Lucky Grumpytime Show' wrote:

"... sucks bollocks."

*silence*

"Ladies and gentlemen, that was Tony K. Isn't he wonderful? Let's give him a big hand!"

*polite audience applause*

"For our next act, we have Edna Purley from Poughkeepsie, who swallows live goldfish while humming the national anthem. Let's give Edna a big welcome!"

*applause*

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
With Tony's rant, I demand an update!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
We all love Kenshin even if he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer

Of course he's not the sharpest. He fights with a freakin' sakabattou! Even the weapon he wields is a clear and obvious, reflective metaphor of his tempered bluntness and coy simplicity. But oh, let's just pair him against a kid in modern times who has the advantage of economy, thorough education, a family, technology, flashy clothing, and a plot written to expose the detective skills and analytical talent for which this character was intended to display and see who will be voted "cleverest, smartest, most intelligentest character in all of Japanese animation's existence" between these two!

Oh yes, this will be fun and full of GREAT arguments when comparing a classic, low-key wandering swordsman whose character personifies morality and the belief of happiness in the existence of living to the likes of wannabe Sherlock Holmes and apparent successor to something SO MUCH greater than bumpkin ex-assassin guy in opposition!

Spiral kid leads 8-4.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Tony, if you'd popped into the nomination thread and mentioned that, you would have kept him out of the tournament.

Group A-1
L, Death Note vs.

Reason: Coming into this knowing Death Note and not Paprika, Dr. Tokita is the one who, to my mind, needs justification for winning, and the guide doesn't put forth a particularly strong argument for him, nor did any other voters.
Possibility of Change: Slim

Group A-2
Yuko Ichihara, xxxHOLiC

Voting For: Yuko Ichihara
Reason: Conan may be more proactive, but Yuko knows by the beginning of the story how things are going to turn out, while the little boy detective takes a little longer to find the places where the criminals have slipped up, and then work out the clues.

Group A-3

Voting For: Kazundo Gouda
Reason: Being completely unfamiliar with either, the opinions of other posters seeming to more enthusiastically favor him over Yang outweighs the slight preference I gave Yang based on the guide.
Possibility of Change: Yes

Group A-4

Voting For: Choji Suitengu
Reason: While Yuko is an masterful hacker and expert manipulator, those she manipulates are her rather simple-minded classmates, she herself spoiler[spends most of the series suckered into believing another characters deception.] Thus, by default, I'm voting for the one I haven't seen.

Group A-5
Makubex, Getbackers

Voting For: MakubeX
Reason: MakubeX, an addition to being a computer whiz, is an capable manipulator. During the IL arc, he guides his enemies with little trouble, and while they manage to slowly uncover his plots, they aren't able to actually outwit him. spoiler[He even plans so far as to incorporate their arrival as a necessary part of his plan.] Given that I haven't seen Please Save My Earth, this way my preference tends.

Group A-6
Shima Katase, Stellvia

Voting For: Urumi Kanzaki
Reason: Well there's the devastating intellect and the ability to thoroughly destroy any semblance of order in the school when so provoked. Plus, support for Shima seems not particularly powerful.

Group A-7

Voting For: Motoko Kusanagi
Reason: It seems like she has a wider array of expertise. I haven't seen Spiral, and only a little of GitS

Group A-8
Near, Death Note vs.
Alex Rowe, Last Exile

Voting For: Alex Rowe
Reason: By Death Note's standard, Near isn't very impressive, but Death Note has a very high standard for mind games. Alex, while an excellent captain, felt like his reputation exceeded his personal demonstrated abilities.
Rainbowcourage's post on page 4.
Possibility of Change: Changed

Group A-9

Voting For: Char Aznable
Reason: Minoru may be a master of his field, but I've got more respect for handling the more unpredictable human variables of strategy and politics.
Possibility of Change: No

Group A-10
Ayumu Narumi, Spiral

Voting For: Ayumu Himura
Reason: I don't really think Kenshin is really the kind of character that this tournament is looking for.

Group A-11
Ryoko Uchida, Noein

Voting For: Ryoko Uchida
Reason: It seems like both have the same type of intelligence (correct me if I'm misunderstand Ami, Sailor Moon fans), so I'm going to have to take a woman who has an understanding of futuristic quantum physics over an exceptionally bright school girl.

Group A-12

Voting For: Yurika Misumaru
Reason: While I like Ichigo more, she's merely observant and able to manipulate people of (at best) average intelligence. I'm going to have to vote for someone who has a positive (presumably) military record. (BTW, I've only seen the first episode of Nadesico)

Group A-13

Voting For: Shuurei Kou/Hong
Reason: I don't know. There seems to be more support among previous voters for Shuurei, while a couple of people have voted against Dewey.

Group A-14
Autor, Princess Tutu

Voting For: Gilbert Durandal
Reason: While Autor is clever enough to figure out what needs to be done and how, he can't do it himself and never figures out how to work around this without Fakir, so more a vote against Autor, since I haven't seen Gundam anything.

Group A-15
Miria, Claymore vs.

Voting For: Miria
Reason: Yukino has book smarts, and the skill to deceive others about the nature of her personality, but Miria has intelligence that she can use apply to things that are really important. The organization made an effort to get rid of her because she was too smart, but her stratagizing allowed her and others to survive despite highly unfavorable odds.

Group A-16
Mr. X, Argento Soma vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto

Voting For: Shikamaru Naru
Reason: A counterbalance to people voting against Shikamaru because he's from Naruto.

Good grief, it took me nearly an hour to write this.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Tony, if you'd popped into the nomination thread and mentioned that, you would have kept him out of the tournament.

I don't even care for these tournaments. I just happened to fall upon the fact that Kenshin was in it because of a quote in the "Perfect / Poingnant" thread.

Fork, please. Reversed-prong, if possible.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:

I don't think Yang Wenli is really impressive, since LoGH has rather ridiculous "strategies".

For example? What do you mean? How is it ridiculous?

On second though and others comments I change my vote in Group A-2
I was never convinced that Yuuko is clever I vote for her because I don't know Case Closed/Detective Conan. Yuuko knows a lot and seems clever but I think it is because she is a powerful dreamgazer, and she can see far more ahead into the future than anyone else, and thus, she has more information than others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 90