• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anime gets snubbed at the annies

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
http://annieawards.com/32ndannieawardwinners.htm

damn it! Duck Dodgers my ass. this was Yoko Kanno's year.

bunch of uncultured hacks.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Is it snubbing if they just happen to think the other guy deserves the award more?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Duck Dodgers over the Wolf's Rain soundtrack? how do you defend that? it's barely even a matter of opinion. it's some atypical cartoon music over something that requires real effort.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Considering the Annies are awarded by people who know and love animation, I trust their judgment on this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with most of the choices except for the Yoko Kanno bit. Sorry, but people with no music taste at all can tell that Yoko Kanno's soundtrack for Wolf's Rain far surpasses anything else on that list. It's sad especially since it's some of her best stuff ever.
UberTai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I can't exactly give that award any credibility considering that they gave the Incredibles numerous nominations in the same catagory on the several occasions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
People are free to disagree with their choice to give Robert J. Kral the award over Yoko Kanno, as "better" is really all just subjective opinion anyway, be it individual or plurality, but I don't think they gave Kral the award randomly. These being speciality awards, I'm sure they did their homework and listened to enough music from all four nominated series and, for whatever reason, liked Kral best. I object to the use of the word "snub", since it implies that the judges/voters had some kind of attitude against Kanno which influenced their decision.

As for the categories where The Incredibles was nominated more than once, they weren't nominating the film, they were nominating individuals and a lot of individuals worked together to make the film as great as it was.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
At least they weren't stupid enough to nominate Shark's Tale for best animated feature.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Considering the Annies are awarded by people who know and love animation, I trust their judgment on this one.

Good call. After all, they gave the 2002 Best Animated Feature award to Spirited Away, which substantiates their credibility in my eyes.

I haven't heard the Duck Dodgers or Wolf's Rain soundtrack, but as good as Yoko Kanno is, anime fans tend to worship her beyond her (considerable) merits. Robert J. Kral has his own legion of fans, and if they hired him to follow in the footsteps of Carl Stalling he must be doing something right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
It's sad especially since it's some of her best stuff ever.

Really? I always kind of found it sort of... flat? or uninspired? Sure there is a variety, but that alone really can't hold the entire soundtrack together, which is what it seems to try and do.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:59 am Reply with quote
I've listened to both shows (Duck Dodgers and Wolf's Rain) and both have good tracks. This is not a snub issue nor a "uninformed Americans" deal. Observe their mission statement.

THE INTERNATIONAL ANIMATED FILM SOCIETY: ASIFA-HOLLYWOOD is a California nonprofit organization established over thirty years ago to promote and encourage the art and craft of animation. To achieve this purpose, ASIFA-Hollywood is dedicated to striving for the following goals:

1. Support and encourage animation education
2. Support the preservation and critical evaluation of animation history
3. Recognize achievement of excellence in the art and field of animation
4. Increase the public awareness of animation
5. Act as a liaison to encourage the free exchange of ideas within the animation community
6. Encourage journalism documenting current trends and activities in animation
7. Encourage the social interaction of professional and non-professional animation enthusiasts
8. Encourage the development and expression of all forms of animation

Doesn't sound like some no-name, isolated group to me.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
It's sad especially since it's some of her best stuff ever.

Really? I always kind of found it sort of... flat? or uninspired? Sure there is a variety, but that alone really can't hold the entire soundtrack together, which is what it seems to try and do.

There's a whole thread in the music section discussing her best. animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7083&start=0
The majority on this board at least seems to be leaning towards Wolf's Rain/Escaflowne as faves.

It with Escaflowne are my faves because I can listen to the soundtracks over and over, and never get tired. I put away my bebop cds long ago and haven't touched them since, but Escaflowne, and Wolf's Rain are still used often.
Akumajou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I think that alot of you are missing the details, Wolfs Rain is aired rather butchered on Cartoon Network and is interrupted by commercials while the Japanese version of the series has about 3 or 4 commercial breaks that I believe go like this on Japanese TV:

Break after intro music.

Break as a slight intermission mid-way the ep

Break after the conclusion and prior to the previews.

Then look at the US version that is being aired and if you think about it, all the US commercial breaks will interrupt the flow of whatever music or story or event that was going on.

Duck Dodgers does not have this problem because it is designed around these excessive, US commercial breaks.

I also had a problem with this:

Quote:
Character Animation

Ken Duncan - "Shark Tale"
John Kahrs - "The Incredibles"
Angus MacLane - "The Incredibles"
Peter Sohn - "The Incredibles"
Kureha Yokoo - "The Incredibles"

Don't you think that its strange, no matter how good that the Pixar movie was that in this award all of the nominated are Computer Generated Image or CGI features?

To me thats like they are ignoring any character animation in any other feature because A) they were not made by Pixar and B) they were not CGI.

Now I love CGI myself, and I would hope that Tomino-san would re-make the 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam in today's advanced CGI like some of the PS2 game intros show but I also feel that there were other animated features that unless they completely sucked, fell under the over-over-over rated-ness of the Disney+Pixar name in a flick.

The other thing you have to pay attention to is the Sponsor's list:

Quote:
Cartoon Network

Disney Toon Studios

DreamWorks Animation

IDT Entertainment

Nickelodeon

Paramount

Pixar

Sony Pictures Imageworks

Walt Disney Feature Animation

Walt Disney Television Animation

Does anyone have a slight advantage by association here? Hell, even a monopoly since Filmation no longer exists since 1989 and other US animation studios also no longer exist.

This reminds me of the Latin Music Awards held in Miami Florida and how they totally ignore alot of Latin music, specially coming from certain countries that are very close to Florida and yet Mexico Latin artists get most of the awards.

I did some research into why this was and found out that most of the sponsors were either Mexican music studios or music studios founded by people of Mexican descent. So basically I was not surprised as to how even thought they called the show the "Latin Music Awards" the majority of nominees were Mexican music artists, because IMO they must have felt that its better to call it that and promote their music to all other Latin nations and non-Latin nations than to call it the Mexican Music Awards and be placed in a possible ignore bin by people who would probably not relate to the title.

I was also surprised that they nominated He-Man MOTU in the following:

Quote:
Storyboarding in an Animated Television Production

Alex Basio - Atomic Betty - "Spindly Tam Kanushu"
Wendy Grieb - Disney's Dave the Barbarian - "The Maddening Sprite of the Stump"
Adam Van Wyk - He Man & The Masters of the Universe - "Awaken the Serpent"
Rossen Varbanov - Disney's Brandy and Mr. Whiskers - "To The Moon, Whiskers"
Matthew Youngberg - Teen Titans - "Haunted"

Now ok these are apparently single episodes, but notice there is a major difference in the audience of each of these shows, I can argue that the He-Man show is slightly darker and older than the rest of the list because every other show is either aimed at the "Barney" crowd of kids 3-9 years old both boys and girls while He-Man MOTU is understood by kids older than 8 years old to teenagers and older all mostly being boys with a couple of girls probably watching if they appreciate the all action and scary elements of the show.

Further that "Awaken Serpent" is the last episode of the cancelled series because according to Mattel, the toy line was not selling so they had to pull out.

But it surprises me and it also does not because they just lump animation into one category and although it is not really stated I know that there is a big "Kids" or "Children" sticker in every category that they nominate. Basically even thought Worfs Rain is an Adult Swim aired show, the people and the sponsors will lump it right next to Duck Dodgers and cause the parent in the Judge to choose the winner as the show they feel their kid should see or to avoid lawsuits.

Now imagine if the Oscars lumped together a bunch of movies aimed at different audiences and favored one over the other?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
All award shows are phoney. Stop caring about them already.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
All award shows are phoney. Stop caring about them already.

Sigh.

Once again, then was Spirited Away's Oscar "phoney"? Or are they only phoney when you disagree with the results.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2