• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Mezzo DSA 1-13 dub/sub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
Nice to see this up here. I've been kind of curious lately to see Umetsu's work as a director since I've gotten to see a bit of his work as an animator.

EDIT: Oh, this was done by Arms. That explains all the staff that have plenty of experience with hentai that I came across when adding them to the Encyclopedia page. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
"intricately animated"? It's been a few years since I saw it but as I remember it Mezzo DSA's animation was some of the worst I've seen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
"intricately animated"? It's been a few years since I saw it but as I remember it Mezzo DSA's animation was some of the worst I've seen.

Oh come on, the opening scene alone! Sure there are later ones that totally crap out (the karaoke-in-the-car in ep3 comes to mind) but there are some really amazing action scenes in this series.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Oh come on, the opening scene alone! Sure there are later ones that totally crap out (the karaoke-in-the-car in ep3 comes to mind) but there are some really amazing action scenes in this series.

As I said, this is from faded memory, I barely remember the show and can't remember specific scenes.

As an opening scene is never a judge of an entire series I randomly watched some bits of a middle episode, ep.6. Low frame rate, static face shots with only fish-mouth lip flaps (open-close-open-close) for movement. There's a scene where Mikura is talking to Harada, she turns her head to talk to him and it's like her neck disappears. Although soon after there's a short scene of her practicing moves on a punching bag that is well animated. But then again I skipped to the end where young Harada spoiler[is busting up the computer AI] and while this could be considered an action scene it was very jerky and rough looking.

I remember reading rumors that their budget really fell through on the series and that explained how so much ended up being cut-rate (IMO).

But it's also true that at the time I think I liked the story (rated "good").... obviously not well enough for me to remember it though.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
episode 1 and 2 look great. everything after looks awful. Not only did the quality go down, but the series had to be cut in half (normally 26 episodes right?)

But hey, I hope Umetsu and ARMS reap the benefits of the advertising. If not, ANN you bastards!!!!!! jkjkjkjk...

But yeah, I can't wait for your next work Umetsu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1