• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars Slipcovers Offered, DVD/BD Delayed 1 Week in Canada

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
was this accidental? How do you screw that up?
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
Nice that Funi's offering the slipcover online.

The shipping delay sounds pretty minor.... that sort of stuff has happened before. Looking forward to picking it up sometime next week then.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
They already did a second printing? I bought mine on release day, but it didn't have the slip cover or character cards so I guess I got the second run? Why make a first run that's so limited it doesn't make it to Best Buy?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
bmt528i wrote:
was this accidental? How do you screw that up?

Summer Wars sold out it's first press run (the one with the art cards) before release date. Per Funimation, the Summer Wars slipcover is actually the limiting factor in getting out their product since it's very time consuming to make in large quantities (full embossing of all characters and foil inlays/highlights in the OZ background) and to get all their second pressing out it would have meant either delaying it or offering slipcovers later when available to the second pressing pre-orders that didn't come with them. They chose the latter.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
so it was delayed in canada? dang was hoping to get it tomorrow.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Guess I lucked out, mine came with the slipcover so I have no problems with it.
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
yeah I pre-ordered mine from amazon a few weeks before it came out, and I had the cover and the art cards, it's nice to have it but it's not necissary. The movie is great on it's own.
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I am glad I ordered mine well in advance ,it had both the slip cover and cards.
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I ordered a few weeks prior and didn't get the slip cover. I ordered one from Funi though.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
They already did a second printing? I bought mine on release day, but it didn't have the slip cover or character cards so I guess I got the second run? Why make a first run that's so limited it doesn't make it to Best Buy?

Emerje

The slip cover or what we call the "O-card" in the industry is part of the whole package, it's not a limited thing.

The avatar cards (edit) were part of the first press printing - similar to the Strike Witches patch for Strike Witches, illustration cards for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, and Soul Eater sticker for Soul Eater. They are only inside specially stickered packages. It's a random bonus - not a guarantee.

We already knew the title would sell well. The surprise is that we've already received re-orders from retail that have exceeded our already healthy initial forecast on the movie. That's fantastic! But, that also creates a problem when you have a specialty slip cover "o-card" that takes longer to print than the manufacturing more of the Blu-ray. Hence the delay that we are correcting with this offer.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy
(yay! laundry day!)

Last edited by lheiskell on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
The 8 Hanafuda cards was part of the first press printing -
8 hanafuda cards? Don't you mean the 4 Oz avatar cards? Surprised

But either way, I got my copy considerably earlier than most others I know--about a week and a half ago--and I got both the 'o-card' and the avatar cards, so I've got no complaints. The fact that the movie is f**king amazing is a plus, too. Laughing
jlaking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I live in Canada and have seen Summer Wars DVD's in Wal-Marts.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
This is quite funny. I was annoyed because it was way cheaper to buy the item from Amazon.com instead of .ca. Hence I''d have to wait longer so the same business could ship me the same item from further away.

As a result though, I may now actually get my copy quicker than if I'd ordered it from Amazon.ca
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

I picked up my copy today at Best Buy and I ended up going to two different stores. The first store had it without the avatar cards or slipcover and the second store had it with both. It was a bit of a bother because the stores are about 30 miles apart and I had no idea if the second would have the first pressing, but in the end it was worth it.

So, if you have multiple stores in your area it might be worth checking them out.

Last edited by chefneer on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
The slip cover or what we call the "O-card" in the industry is part of the whole package, it's not a limited thing.

I meant that the first run was so limited, not that the slip cover was. Personally I think you guys would be doing your fans a further service by including the cards with the second run covers as well. You didn't have to print more of the covers and I have a lot of respect for you guys going the extra mile to get these out to people, but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect the product they buy on release day to be a first run. Of course, I could have done more myself to pre-order a copy and I knew when I bought it that the cards weren't in there (no paper of any kind inside actually), it's just a thought.

Congrats on Summer Wars success, great to hear it's doing so well!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2