• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gantz Season 1 Box

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Might as well considering that ADV messed that up when they were releasing 2 ep. a disc.

What were they thinking? Shocked

But it's all good. Wink
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Can't complain if all the features are there.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
And thus people are gonna have to buy the season 2 boxset (episode 13-26) with the same MSRP and is only 4 disc to complete the unfinished series.
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
And thus people are gonna have to buy the season 2 boxset (episode 13-26) with the same MSRP and is only 4 disc to complete the unfinished series.

Bingo.....and that's how it works with some companies and placeing shows on dvds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GrantM1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

I thought ADV didn't put extras on their thinpak collections anymore
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
GrantM1 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

I thought ADV didn't put extras on their thinpak collections anymore

Ya, I know that they didn't for Angelic Layer and Azumanga Diaoh. But it says that they are identical to the single releases so I'm assuming they do have all the extras.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I thought thinpacks were supposed to conserve space.

Doesn't having 13 episodes on 6 DISCS kinda negate that philosophy?

Beats having them in the standard-size DVD cases, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Ya, I know that they didn't for Angelic Layer and Azumanga Diaoh. But it says that they are identical to the single releases so I'm assuming they do have all the extras.

Also not with Pretear, Abenobashi, Final Fantasy Unlimited Rolling Eyes , and I would assume others, like NGE Platinum and Chrono Crusade. But, there are a few lucky ones like Noir, RahXephon, and Full Metal Panic 1st Season that have all the extras aside from liner notes and other special packaging.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Bingo.....and that's how it works with some companies and placeing shows on dvds.

I don't know how many companies release 2 boxset of different size but containing the same episode count for the same series. One being 13 episode on 6 DVD and the other being 13 episode on 4 DVD.

Most companies like Bandai and Media Blaster release all 26 episode on 6 DVD. The least ADV could have done was release all 10 DVD in one thinpak collection instead of two unevensize boxset, especially since the anime isn't more than 26 episode.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
I thought thinpacks were supposed to conserve space.

Doesn't having 13 episodes on 6 DISCS kinda negate that philosophy?

Beats having them in the standard-size DVD cases, I guess.

It saves space compared to the original releases, not compared to any other standard you might use. Since the first season was originally released on six discs, the thin pack does indeed save space compared to the original release.
Demaar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Most companies like Bandai and Media Blaster release all 26 episode on 6 DVD. The least ADV could have done was release all 10 DVD in one thinpak collection instead of two unevensize boxset, especially since the anime isn't more than 26 episode.
Wait... the Gantz anime only runs 26 episodes? Damn, guess they cut the show short. I might as well forget about buying this set, then, since all the cool stuff happens after (I assume) the show ends... shame, really.
Anyone licensed the manga yet?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jkid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

Also not with Pretear, Abenobashi, Final Fantasy Unlimited Rolling Eyes , and I would assume others, like NGE Platinum and Chrono Crusade. But, there are a few lucky ones like Noir, RahXephon, and Full Metal Panic 1st Season that have all the extras aside from liner notes and other special packaging.

Now I'm more confused with the thin packs now. So only Noir, RahXephon, and Full Metal Panic 1st Season only have extras in the Thin Pack collection.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I agree the whole deal with the Gantz release was a mess... But it didn't stop me from buying every single DVD...Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Jkid wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

Now I'm more confused with the thin packs now. So only Noir, RahXephon, and Full Metal Panic 1st Season only have extras in the Thin Pack collection.

No, those show are complete 26 episode season. With Gantz, ADV decide to split it into 2 season. The first 13 episode, call "first stage" and the second half, simply call 2nd season.

GANTZ first stage - 13 Episode 6 DVD Thinpak.
GANTZ second season - 13 Episode 4 DVD. (boxset has not been announce yet)
And even then, gantz is still not finish because the manga goes way beyond 26 episode.
Demaar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
No, those show are complete 26 episode season. With Gantz, ADV decide to split it into 2 season. The first 13 episode, call "first stage" and the second half, simply call 2nd season.

GANTZ first stage - 13 Episode 6 DVD Thinpak.
GANTZ second season - 13 Episode 4 DVD. (boxset has not been announce yet)
And even then, gantz is still not finish because the manga goes way beyond 26 episode.
Ok, so there actually is more to come then? Or are you speculating?
I really hope it's not just speculation, because some of the later stuff would look royally bad ass in motion...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1