• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin Sends Casting Call for Extras

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene548

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
a Live action film.. lets hope its good.. i wanna be a part of the movie! Razz
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I know they say any age, any gender, but I don't suppose they would accept a Caucasian? Might be a little out of place in Meiji era Japan. Laughing

The context of the article just sounded to me like any reader of ANN could presumably get a role as an extra, might they happen to be in the area at the right time, but something tells me that's not quite the case...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nermal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
if only I was in Japan...
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I know they say any age, any gender, but I don't suppose they would accept a Caucasian? Might be a little out of place in Meiji era Japan. Laughing

The context of the article just sounded to me like any reader of ANN could presumably get a role as an extra, might they happen to be in the area at the right time, but something tells me that's not quite the case...

There were Whites in Japan during the Meiji period. Matthew Perry had not so long ago ended "Sakoku", Japan's foreign relations policy that kept every outsider... well, out!
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
No blacks? THATS MESSED UP BRO!!
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
If it's like Trust & Betrayal, I'll love it! Very Happy
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
i remember there are White guys in the anime.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

If you're caucasian, you can just look away from the camera or something, not that out of place unless you're looking closely. If you're black (like me), you're just out of luck. (Unless the makeup artists are really really really good and for some reason want to spend time painting a black person to look Japanese, for fun or something. Anime hyper Or perhaps they could dress you completely covered in a really conspicuous way.)
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
For this to work for a person in the states, you'd have be pretty much fluent in Japanese, be able to go to Japan if actually selected and most obvious, be pretty familiar with Rurouni Kenshin.

Now if the live action show was brought over the states, it would be much easier, but it's not very likely that will ever happen any time soon, if ever.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
Wait, Kenshin isn't white? You could have fooled me. A non-pale Kenshin would have me doing a double-take.

The next question is can they get a male who looks effeminate enough to pull the role off? As I recall, even the manga creator said that the facial scar was necessary to ensure that readers readily knew that Kenshin was male. I guess the assumption there was that women don't get facial scars in Japan? Rolling Eyes
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
Didn't realize there was going to be a live-action movie, that's kinda cool. I wonder if they'll actually let Kenshin have his signature red hair?

Altorrin wrote:
rizuchan wrote:

If you're caucasian, you can just look away from the camera or something, not that out of place unless you're looking closely. If you're black (like me), you're just out of luck. (Unless the makeup artists are really really really good and for some reason want to spend time painting a black person to look Japanese, for fun or something. Anime hyper Or perhaps they could dress you completely covered in a really conspicuous way.)

Maybe not that all out of luck, girls could dress up as geisha, with all the powdered makeup. Or guys could appear as one of those wandering monks wearing the huge rice hats/basket hats with flutes, or wear those Tengu masks and ceremonial garb like during festival. Or maybe appear as a foreign dignitary, though I'm not sure if many black diplomats visited Japan at the time.

Echo_City wrote:
Wait, Kenshin isn't white? You could have fooled me. A non-pale Kenshin would have me doing a double-take.

The next question is can they get a male who looks effeminate enough to pull the role off? As I recall, even the manga creator said that the facial scar was necessary to ensure that readers readily knew that Kenshin was male. I guess the assumption there was that women don't get facial scars in Japan? Rolling Eyes

Funny that you mention it, when I first saw pictures of Himura Kenshin floating around the interwebs I thought that he was a she. Laughing I thought the same thing about that Justin kid from Grandia, maybe it's the long red hair?

I think the article mentions that Takeru Satoh will play the lead.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
Hahahah, reminds me the time my friends were vacationing on North Carolina and happened upon the filming of a TV episode of Dawson's Creek - so they got to be extras!

So we spent the whole season following the show every week just to see where they could be! Laughing

But out of the whole cast, the highlight for them was meeting the actor playing Dawson's father - because he was The Flash! They were saying, "Dude! You're the Flash!" Laughing

BTW, as a footnote, old dubbing studio Coastal Carolina used to do ADR work for Dawson's Creek too.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
I'll withhold any judgment till a cast is ready, but at least Keanu Reeves will stay home.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

a guy i know got to be an extra in one of the lord of the rings movies because he just happened to be vacationing in new zealand while they were filming. apparently he had the right look to be one of the riders of rohan.

of course, english was the common language there. but i would think as long as you're fluent enough in japanese to take direction, it's possible.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

In order to apply to be an extra, you have to send in an application with information such as your name, age, gender, height, special skills, contact information, address and you must also send in a picture of yourself, then all applications will be screened and someone will contact you if you're picked to be cast as an extra.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1