• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comics/Manga Publisher PictureBox Shuts Down on December 31

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
And with that, any hope for more bara here in the west went up in smoke.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Great, just when I thought manga sales in US looks promising, this get shutdown. Now I'm optimistic. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Good manga sales doesn't every single company is doing well. Besides:

Quote:
Update: Nadel revealed in an interview with The Comics Reporter on Monday that the decision to shut down PictureBox was a personal decision, not a professional one, and involved "reasons related to the course of his life rather than forced by business concerns."

I don't think many people would have even cared about what this company wanted to produce, old ass museum-piece manga are not hit commodities.
MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Bummer. Sad I haven't read my copy of The Mysterious Underground Men yet, but I was very impressed with the quality and presentation of the book. I hadn't been interested in The Last of the Mohicans before, but after seeing the Tezuka book I immediately wanted to buy it, too, and made me look forward to more of the Ten-Cent Manga line. Guess this is the time to pick that up.

I also greatly enjoyed the supplementary material to the Hayashi book, and I fully expect the would-have-been second Alternative Manga title to have been picked up by D&Q. Still sad to see a smaller manga publisher shut down, though.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Good manga sales doesn't every single company is doing well. Besides:

Quote:
Update: Nadel revealed in an interview with The Comics Reporter on Monday that the decision to shut down PictureBox was a personal decision, not a professional one, and involved "reasons related to the course of his life rather than forced by business concerns."

I don't think many people would have even cared about what this company wanted to produce, old ass museum-piece manga are not hit commodities.

I see, thanks for putting that info. I'm now less optimistic. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Just when they where starting to release these great retro manga i'd imagine titles like Last of the Mohicans din't do verry well.
But if they did some Tezuka titles earlier they could have maybe made some money (if your talking about comics like this in gerneral Tezuka is a best seller) those alternative western comics there is about no audience for that stuff to begin with.
so you never know if they would have decided to still try it if they made some money on Tezuka's name.

luckily i already orderd there Tezuka title they released cause i'd imagine it can go out of print fast now.

By this logic Draw & quartely could be next also Vertical isn't likely anymore to go since there releasing so many new titles these days .... that the old stuff seems almost gone from there radar.

Well it's not that there really getting my money anymore so often they used to be my favourite publishing company by far but the last 2 or so years all they gave me what i really wanted from them was twin knight and Adolf.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
This is really sad. And it's really funny. I just got back to work today, my co-workers were just talking over a copy of the Mysterious Underground Men, that we got in sometime last week. Then I check the news, I see the pic of the book and then the news, "Picturebox shuts down". Sometimes I wonder how strange the world works. Talk about timing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
See, this is the good thing about Japan: they can publish these types of manga and still be viable. The West won't reach that level of firm stability until they can do the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1