• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Myriad Alice in the Country of Manga Discussion

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
I've read some of the Alice in the Country of manga series and just kind of wanted to hear what other people thought about them and have some sort of discussion with other people interested in the franchise. I've enjoyed the ones I've read though upon doing some research I found there's over 25 different series. I'm sort in awe of how large it is and am even more amazed there's only been a film and not a television series at this point.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
It does seem to be QuinRose's most popular otome game franchise, doesn't it? I think in part that's because of the source material (although there are also games based on Grimms' Fairy Tales and Peter Pan). Recently when I was in Japan I found out that Carroll's book is required reading in most Japanese schools, which would explain why there's so much Alice stuff, but also probably contributes to this franchise's popularity. My sister picked up several of the games - the first one has been redone at least twice - as well as a Clover guidebook, and there were scads of doujinshi at the various shops (yes, I bought lots)...but no other merchandise. I thought that was a little odd, honestly, just like the fact that there's only a movie and no TV series. I guess that would imply that this is still fairly niche, but given the number of otome games that have received TV series recently, that doesn't quite sit right.

Anyway, I love these books. I think that a large part of that is Alice herself - she's kind of cynical and not all that sold on the idea that all of these gorgeous men are in love with her, so there's a minimum of flustered blushing or uncomfortable giggling. (Incidentally, this is also what I liked about Kahoko in La Corda d'Oro. While the guys do fit into the comfortable stereotypes for the most part, they are also different enough that it doesn't feel like every other otoge adaptation; generally I end up liking two very specific types, and while if I squint I can pick them out in the Alice books, they aren't as clear cut as in, say, UtaPri. I also find Alice's backstory interesting, and I've been enjoying trying to figure out what precisely drove her to Wonderland in the first place, whereas in a story like Amnesia I found it hard to care. (Or to stop watching, but that's another issue.)

So I've babbled about this too long now, but those are my basic thoughts.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
These books are my guilty pleasures to end all guilty pleasures. I'm a man yet I love the hell out of them. So many hot dudes. So many. Boris is easily my favorite, though.

Unfortunately I have very few of the books. There's a frickin' ton of them and I'm saving up money for something else right now, sadly enough.

I love how I can read one of the books and just tell where the h-scenes in the games were. I play too many visual novels.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
It does seem to be QuinRose's most popular otome game franchise, doesn't it? I think in part that's because of the source material (although there are also games based on Grimms' Fairy Tales and Peter Pan). Recently when I was in Japan I found out that Carroll's book is required reading in most Japanese schools, which would explain why there's so much Alice stuff, but also probably contributes to this franchise's popularity. My sister picked up several of the games - the first one has been redone at least twice - as well as a Clover guidebook, and there were scads of doujinshi at the various shops (yes, I bought lots)...but no other merchandise. I thought that was a little odd, honestly, just like the fact that there's only a movie and no TV series. I guess that would imply that this is still fairly niche, but given the number of otome games that have received TV series recently, that doesn't quite sit right.

Anyway, I love these books. I think that a large part of that is Alice herself - she's kind of cynical and not all that sold on the idea that all of these gorgeous men are in love with her, so there's a minimum of flustered blushing or uncomfortable giggling. (Incidentally, this is also what I liked about Kahoko in La Corda d'Oro. While the guys do fit into the comfortable stereotypes for the most part, they are also different enough that it doesn't feel like every other otoge adaptation; generally I end up liking two very specific types, and while if I squint I can pick them out in the Alice books, they aren't as clear cut as in, say, UtaPri. I also find Alice's backstory interesting, and I've been enjoying trying to figure out what precisely drove her to Wonderland in the first place, whereas in a story like Amnesia I found it hard to care. (Or to stop watching, but that's another issue.)

So I've babbled about this too long now, but those are my basic thoughts.

Interesting, I didn't know Alice in Wonderland was required reading in many Japanese schools. That might (?) explain the large number of manga and anime that draw inspiration from Alice in Wonderland.
I don't know about in Japan but the franchise seems to have really taken off here in the west based on Seven Seas ever growing selection of Alice in the Country of manga (and to a lesser extent Yen Press). I've never been aware of trends but is there an Alice in Wonderland craze right now? I've been seeing Alice in Wonderland inspired manga being licensed left and right.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Seven Seas has a contract with Ichijinsha. Which makes most of the Alice manga.

Yen Press has a contract with Mag Garden. Which makes a baby amount of the Alice manga.

There are no other publishers that I know of.

As to why there's not TV series I can answer that.
It doesn't sell.
It costs way too much to make versus the profit expected. Japanese women bare the brunt of their spending in manga. So manga is what's made. It's the same reason why there are less than 35 yaoi anime in the history anime (4,000 series). Japanese women just don't buy DVD/BDs as much as men do.

With all the different routes in the manga I do hope they go into the Country of Spade and the Country of Diamond (I know Diamond had a fanbook recently). There are other males that we can sink our teeth into.

I also hope they remake the main Country of Hearts. That one by Soumei Hoshino is a piece of shit. Did he/she even play the game? It makes me so mad because that series is supposed to be the one all the others build from.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Faiga_Raisa wrote:
It doesn't sell.
It costs way too much to make versus the profit expected. Japanese women bare the brunt of their spending in manga. So manga is what's made. It's the same reason why there are less than 35 yaoi anime in the history anime (4,000 series). Japanese women just don't buy DVD/BDs as much as men do.

There's an anime movie for Alice in the Country of Hearts.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
Faiga_Raisa wrote:
It doesn't sell.

There's an anime movie for Alice in the Country of Hearts.

Did you not read everyone's posts? We're talking about a TV series. We know there is a movie. But a TV series is what's being inquired about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1